• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does welcome home stuff really matter?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Oh, on a related note, what about something like cookie drops? Ever couple months we (and by "we" I mean people capable of using an oven, so I don't include myself) have people sign up to bake cookies and brownies and we set up a table at the squadron so everyone can come buy and grab a couple cookies during heir work day.

Also lame/not really something worth doing, or actually worthwhile?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
LOL...you can refuse that you know... :) I was asked at one point to hold a position and politely declined. It's been nice here in Jax where we don't even have that!

I've never been an OSC participant, but here it's hard not to be. It's not like I have work friends or anyone else to hang out with. And I when told I was nominated, I thought long and hard about it, and decided that maybe I could affect some changes. We'll see how it goes!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Maybe it's the det concept thing, but there really is no ceremony in the hanger. When birds show up for the fly offs, guys who are at work and can spare a few moinutes come down, but that's about it, other than the families who come. For the rest of the guys here, they take the ship, then get on a bus for an hour and get fairly unceremoniously dumped at the squadron or in front of the Q. With busses arriving on and off over a few hours, there isn't much fanfare. And I think it's tougher out here, where no one has extended family, so unless you have a spouse and/or kids, there is no one waiting to greet you, other than maybe the SDO and the Natops officer who are anxious to get back to their desks, and the CO/XO.

But it doesn't surprise me that you guys don't seem to care about the signs. That's sort of why I asked--"Do we do this because we think it matters, or because it actually matters?" Sounds like it's the latter, in which case I'll stay inside out of the rain from now on.
My fleet squadron was det based and a long cruise homecoming was always a a big deal. Everyone who was in the hangar was expected to welcome the det back. Homeguard birds went out to the ship to help bring everyone back so no one road the boat in. Families were in the hangar eagerly waiting. All the families were hosted in the wardroom while waiting. We got them bagels, coffee, and donuts to while away the time. We broke out the big flag for the hangar and got the det a cake and some beers. Homeguard folks were standing by to wash the motors and offload the birds so all the det had to do was shut down, get hugs, listen to the CO talk for 5min, and then go home. All in all, it was a pretty classy event that wasn't too much trouble to set up and let the guys know that the squadron gave a shit.

For one of our homecomings the entire VACAPES area was completely fogged in. The det was supposed to fly off at 0800. The ship ended up tying up to the pier at 1500. We sent over 3-4 duty vans from the seawall squadrons and picked up the det from the ship. The vans then drove on the flightline right up to the hangar just like we'd planned for the helos. Duty section went and stood integrity watch on the ship so there was nothing for the det to worry about.

On the other hand, if you came home from our forward deployed det it kind of varied as to who met you at the airport. We had been in the practice of sending large groups of people that all came home at the same time, so the CO and those folks friends would come to the airport to welcome them home. The large groups changed to a a few folks at a time, so usually it was just peoples' families and friends waiting for them. On my 2P cruise the CO and my old OIC were there to shake my hand and welcome me home. On my HAC cruise it was just my wife, but that was OK because she was the only person I really wanted to see.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Oh, on a related note, what about something like cookie drops? Ever couple months we (and by "we" I mean people capable of using an oven, so I don't include myself) have people sign up to bake cookies and brownies and we set up a table at the squadron so everyone can come buy and grab a couple cookies during heir work day.

Also lame/not really something worth doing, or actually worthwhile?

At VT-2 the OSC would do a lunch time fundraiser for Relay-for-Life every month. It was kind of a themed pot luck deal- donate some money to a good cause and get a plate of food. It was great, especially when your only other options were Subway, the fried food at the bowling alley, or the geedunk.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
We do a chili sale a couple times a year as a fundraiser. We set it up so it's available for both shifts, and they get chili with fixings, corn bread, and a drink for $5. It's always a huge hit.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I guess I'm different than most but I actually enjoyed the welcome home stuff that the families did. Granted, it wasn't anything huge but it was nice to see the signs/etc, hanging in the hangar, and enjoying what what put together. Me and the fam hung out for a bit before we headed home.

helo_wifey

You guys could always do an informal poll of the guys/gals there, while AW is good for general opinions why not go directly to the source?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I think it's cool to see people care and took the effort. It's also nice to know who's back in town when it's not your squadron getting back.

What I can't stand is all the "Hero" signs that pop up like fungus around a homecoming. How does going on a deployment automagically make everyone a hero? Oh yeah, it doesn't.

SH-60OB

pilot
I'm with prop addict. Might not appreciate it the first day you are home but definitely appreciate the effort and pride of the families when you end up coming back to work.

MasterBates

Last time I came home Phrogpilot73 and Rugger met me with beer. Then I went to the Phrogpad and drank my face off with SpyGuy and Stinky.

Could give two shits less about signs or baskets or cups in fences.

Sent via my HTC EVO 4G

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a single type all I really care is someone who realizes that I might just need a damn ride home. Last deployment my father surprised me in Jax which was awesome. I don't care if there are cookies, beer, anything, I just want a friendly face that will take me away from the people I just spent months with to go home and drink there :)

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I'm with prop addict. Might not appreciate it the first day you are home but definitely appreciate the effort and pride of the families when you end up coming back to work.
When I returned from my first deployment I thought it would have been great, by time my last deployment I couldn't care. It seemed like I was always on the last flight to return and we arrived at Whidbey at 2 or 3 in the morning a week after everyone else.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Best welcome home: Transpacing ahead of the ship, checked in with Beaver, first ATC folks we talked to in hours, and they welcomed us home. Then, with every ATC hand off, the next sector would welcome us home and thank us for our service, all the way to NZY tower. I was a single guy though. I never had that happen again.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I can't believe no one has mentioned hookers and blow yet... :p