• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does the Marine Corps change political views?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what youre saying is we should be happy that the Republicans are thoughtfully giving us the reach around while sticking it to us

Exactly, no reacharound from the Dems. Hey, if you're gonna take it, it might as well be pleasant....

phrogpilot73

Yup, I completely changed as a person when I joined the Corps!

Just kidding... I used to think that if you weren't a Republican, what the hell were you doing in the military. That was in my early days as a young, dumb LCpl. Now, I think that as long as you love this country, than you belong in the military. It doesn't matter if you agree with policy set forth, as long as you execute it - that's your job as a professional.

As for political discussions in the ready room? I say no worries. In the wardroom? Not a good idea. Why? Intellectual debate is always good to reinforce/change your point of view. Why not in the wardroom? Because the long standing "gentleman's rule" is that three things are not discussed in the wardroom - sex, politics, and religion. I think it has to do with digestion...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
actually before the Mcgoernites took over the democrats and they were the party of hard working blue collar and farming America they historically voted for better pay for the military while the Republicans traditionally spent it on gear. Kind of a good thing that the power shifted regularly back int he day.

Like everything else the extremes of both parties have taken over and it is AFU.

theduke

i've noticed that there are an awful lot of right-of-center libertarianish types in the military (libertarian with a lower case "l").

i'm definitely in that category.

theduke

by the way, I'm a Marine. I forgot the original premise of this thread.

I used to be more socially conservative, and probably not quite as much of a free-marketeer, but that change was a result of getting older and seeing how things work a little more, as well as becoming far more well versed in politics. I don't think the USMC has influenced my political alignment to any significant degree.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not familiar. What does that mean?

A libertarian is a classical liberal. Yes, liberal was NOT leftist years ago. Jefferson would be called a liberal. Libertarians are what Republicans should be, but have moved away from. Small government, personal freedom, etc etc etc.

I'm libertarian at heart, but, well, they have no hope of even getting a piece of an election.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
A libertarian is a classical liberal. Yes, liberal was NOT leftist years ago. Jefferson would be called a liberal. Libertarians are what Republicans should be, but have moved away from. Small government, personal freedom, etc etc etc.

I'm libertarian at heart, but, well, they have no hope of even getting a piece of an election.
Good deal. I thought it would be something along those lines.

theduke

Not familiar. What does that mean?

hmm, let me see if i can explain this with reasonable brevity (and i'm a mech engineer, not a poli sci guy. anyone with a background in this stuff, feel free to chime in and help.)

first of all, there is some confusion inherent in using the terms "conservative", "liberal", "right", and "left"--particularly the former two. there is a difference between what they literally mean and how they're often used (misused?). but we'll save that topic for later...

instead of political issues being split between the "right" and the "left", what you really have, at the most basic level, are fiscal and social issues. tax code reforms, trade restrictions, etc, are fiscal issues. abortion, stem cell research, pot legalization, and the death penalty are social issues. (realistically, most issues are somewhere in the middle...welfare and medicare, for example. they kinda fall under both categories).

anyway, you can then lean either to the left or the right on both fiscal and social issues. this gives us 4 (instead of 2) political categories of people (at the most fundamental level, at least).

Fiscal Conservative, Social Conservative: this is what the republican party preaches, but they're straying away from the fiscal part.

Fiscal Liberal, Social Liberal: the mantra of the Democratic party, basically.

Fiscal Conservative, Social Liberal: this is what a Libertarian is. They want the government out of your business except when absolutely necessary (and a card-carrying Libertarian--with the capital "L" usually takes it to an unrealistic, scary extreme).

Fiscal Liberal, Social Conservative: I would, for lack of a better term, refer to this as Authoritarianism. They'd want Uncle Sam to have an increased role and control in everything.

at any rate, I said libertarian with a lower-case "l" because I'm not a crazy ass member of the Libertarian party. I DO like the ideology, but the actual Libertarian party is WAAAAY out there on the edge (like, let's privatize the highway system, legalize heroin, get rid of welfare, etc)

for the record, i'm fairly fiscally conservative, and socially kind of a centrist.

and I plan on getting into politics one day...so vote for me.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
hmm, let me see if i can explain this with reasonable brevity (and i'm a mech engineer, not a poli sci guy. anyone with a background in this stuff, feel free to chime in and help.)

first of all, there is some confusion inherent in using the terms "conservative", "liberal", "right", and "left"--particularly the former two. there is a difference between what they literally mean and how they're often used (misused?). but we'll save that topic for later...

instead of political issues being split between the "right" and the "left", what you really have, at the most basic level, are fiscal and social issues. tax code reforms, trade restrictions, etc, are fiscal issues. abortion, stem cell research, pot legalization, and the death penalty are social issues. (realistically, most issues are somewhere in the middle...welfare and medicare, for example. they kinda fall under both categories).

anyway, you can then lean either to the left or the right on both fiscal and social issues. this gives us 4 (instead of 2) political categories of people (at the most fundamental level, at least).

Fiscal Conservative, Social Conservative: this is what the republican party preaches, but they're straying away from the fiscal part.

Fiscal Liberal, Social Liberal: the mantra of the Democratic party, basically.

Fiscal Conservative, Social Liberal: this is what a Libertarian is. They want the government out of your business except when absolutely necessary (and a card-carrying Libertarian--with the capital "L" usually takes it to an unrealistic, scary extreme).

Fiscal Liberal, Social Conservative: I would, for lack of a better term, refer to this as Authoritarianism. They'd want Uncle Sam to have an increased role and control in everything.

at any rate, I said libertarian with a lower-case "l" because I'm not a crazy ass member of the Libertarian party. I DO like the ideology, but the actual Libertarian party is WAAAAY out there on the edge (like, let's privatize the highway system, legalize heroin, get rid of welfare, etc)

for the record, i'm fairly fiscally conservative, and socially kind of a centrist.

and I plan on getting into politics one day...so vote for me.

I get you. Thanks!

theduke

I've got no problem with that. Welfare breeds poverty. A hard lesson many never learn.

reforms needed? oh yeah.

but do we need a safety net at some level? i sure as hell think so.

and i don't think that there's as much money to be saved through welfare reforms as some people think, unfortunately.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
and i don't think that there's as much money to be saved through welfare reforms as some people think, unfortunately.

I'd venture to say there is, considering how many people are on welfare and how many peopel should not be on it in the first place.

There is money to be saved everywhere though. Too much money going to ridiculous causes and things.