• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does the Air Force use VT-35 as its advanced training for props?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm asking for someone else. An Air Force type who wants C-130's but not sure if everyone goes through Corpus for advanced props.

gotta_fly

pilot
Air Force C-130 guys can also go through VT-31 in Corpus. Recently there have been guys getting C-130s out of T-1s as well, but from what I was told that's a less common route.

81montedriver

pilot
That is correct. Once they get to Corpus they can usually give a preference as to which squadron they want. It's usually more between flying a newer plane or a glass cockpit but squadron availability tops all. Tell your friend if he/she wants C-130's shoot for Corpus and they will have the best odds.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Yes, both VT-31 and 35 conduct USAF advanced for the C-130. If he is AD he could come here or go to T-1s but the T-1s are few and far between. The Guard guys seem to take those slots first. We don't get Guard down here I believe. I ask the studs when I remember to and in 2.5 years at VT-31 not one was a Guard bum.

VT-31 has a pecking order for the T-44C (glass) depending on fleet platform (i.e. USMC C-130Js) so a random USAF dude may not get the glass if loading becomes a factor.

Studs seem to want VT-35 so they can get the useless TC-12 type rating.

Having flown both planes recently and the T-1 back in the day, it is a toss up. Each plane and squadron has its pros and cons.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
The Air Force guys here tell me that only the AF guys who go through Corpus can get the special ops type C-130s. If you do T-1s, I guess you can only get regular C-130s. I'm just regurgitating what a bunch of AF LTs said, so take that for what it's worth.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The Air Force guys here tell me that only the AF guys who go through Corpus can get the special ops type C-130s. If you do T-1s, I guess you can only get regular C-130s. I'm just regurgitating what a bunch of AF LTs said, so take that for what it's worth.

Bad gouge. I had a guard bum in my class, and 2 regular AD AF types. Both the AD bubs went to C-130s at Dyess. Nobody got gunships out of Hurlburt, but some guys were getting orders to Clovis NM to fly super secret Pilatus and Dehavillands.

Friends who tracked T-1s then 130s ended up all over, including H-Burt.