• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does "Reason for applying" weigh heavily?

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
1st generation just means that your parents were born in Vietnam. It sounds like you have some great reasons for joining. Just put those into your essay and you should do fine. I think the most important thing that they look for is honesty and sincerity. They don't want something like "I want to join the Navy because I really want to put a .50 cal slug in Haji's head from the door of a 60", but you should still be honest. If that was really your reason, then you could say "I want to take an active role in fighting global terrorism."
In your case I think it will help, not hurt that your dad and uncle were in the Vietnamese Navy. It will show them that you have a true dedication to forwarding the cause of freedom.

BackOrdered

Contributor
In my statement I put a short vague reason to want to be an Officer from way back when, then I wrote a long story on what motivates me how. This thread makes me think that maybe I could have been more in-depth. It still read sweet. I wish we had a forum just for motivational statements, but then again, plagiarism.