• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

does it matter what college you go to?

originalbigjim

I am enrolled in excelsior college and I understand that it does not have the best reputation, does this matter when it comes to selection? It is a navy college distance learning partner but i had a few discouraging words come from a salty chief today about excelsior.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
They're regionally accredited. Shouldn't think it would matter beyond that.

ttechfan

If you complete your degree through online programs through a regionally accredited institution, does that have any bearing if the online program is also accredited or do you have to finish in residence?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Most online universities and those brick-and-mortar universities with online programs have additional accreditation for their online curricula in addition to their regional accrediting bodies. Best bet is to check with an officer recruiter who can verify their status, but my bet is that as long as they hold regional, they're not going to screw themselves by offering a Sally Struthers online diploma.

Coldnavy

CTO1 to IW Officer
I am enrolled in excelsior college and I understand that it does not have the best reputation, does this matter when it comes to selection? It is a navy college distance learning partner but i had a few discouraging words come from a salty chief today about excelsior.

You’ll be surprised by the number of prior service officers with Excelsior College Degrees. I’m an graduate from Excelsior, the MCPON is an Excelsior alumni, as are a few of the Chiefs and Officers in my building.

On a final note, I’ve applied for OCS (IW 164X designator) with my BS from Excelsior College. Don’t let other people’s opinions discourage you from making your own decisions. Excelsior is a good school and they really work hard to cater to active duty personnel. There are other good schools as well, such as Troy University if Excelsior doesn’t offer what you’re looking for.

Best of luck in your search for a school.

originalbigjim

You’ll be surprised by the number of prior service officers with Excelsior College Degrees. I’m an graduate from Excelsior, the MCPON is an Excelsior alumni, as are a few of the Chiefs and Officers in my building.

On a final note, I’ve applied for OCS (IW 164X designator) with my BS from Excelsior College. Don’t let other people’s opinions discourage you from making your own decisions. Excelsior is a good school and they really work hard to cater to active duty personnel. There are other good schools as well, such as Troy University if Excelsior doesn’t offer what you’re looking for.

Best of luck in your search for a school.

I have enrolled in exclesior, and i am picking out classes now, if you dont mine me asking did you go for the liberal studies option or pick a major, if so what did you pick. Also i was wondering if you were picked up for ocs?
thanks for input, it gives me a warm and fuzzy about exclesior.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
You have to ask what yourself what your goals are... I was in a similar position as you (almost completed a correspondence degree) and after alot of consideration chose to try the STA-21 route first. Got accepted on the first try and never looked back. If I had finished the correspondence degree and got right into OCS I'd be a LTJG by now...but those are some big IFs. Now I don't mean to slight correspondence degrees but the couple of cases I have seen they didn't get accepted to OCS the first time. For one friend it took three tries, for another friend (AF with a Master's) it took a switch to Chaplain after three years.

So I guess my advice would be to try STA-21 first. Why rush? You can never have too much education, you'll have a great time getting it, and those gold bars will still be there when you're done

Coldnavy

CTO1 to IW Officer
I have enrolled in exclesior, and i am picking out classes now, if you dont mine me asking did you go for the liberal studies option or pick a major, if so what did you pick. Also i was wondering if you were picked up for ocs?
thanks for input, it gives me a warm and fuzzy about exclesior.

I was in the Technology program (Computer Science) but I changed my major to Liberal Arts because I thought my extension here at my present command wasn't going to go through and I wanted to hurry up and graduate and submit my OCS package. To make a long story short, I received my extension here and graduated a lot earlier then I though I was going to. Now, I started my Masters from American Military University in Strategic Intelligence (Collections).

No word from OCS yet. My package was mailed off a few weeks ago. I only applied for IW, SO.... in theory, I should have a quick turn around.

Excelsior is a good school. I'm not too sure why it's been given such a bad stigma???

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Excelsior is a good school. I'm not too sure why it's been given such a bad stigma??? [/COLOR]

I have taken a few of thier challenge exams and passed with flying colors without even cracking the study guides...
Can't speak for thier classes, but the challenge exams are a joke.

originalbigjim

I have taken a few of thier challenge exams and passed with flying colors without even cracking the study guides...
Can't speak for thier classes, but the challenge exams are a joke.
i have taken some very hard exams and some very easy ones but then again i have taken some course at embry-riddle that were upper level and i was told were very hard and they were a peice of cake, i guess the it depends on who your talking to.

originalbigjim

I was in the Technology program (Computer Science) but I changed my major to Liberal Arts because I thought my extension here at my present command wasn't going to go through and I wanted to hurry up and graduate and submit my OCS package. To make a long story short, I received my extension here and graduated a lot earlier then I though I was going to. Now, I started my Masters from American Military University in Strategic Intelligence (Collections).

No word from OCS yet. My package was mailed off a few weeks ago. I only applied for IW, SO.... in theory, I should have a quick turn around.

Excelsior is a good school. I'm not too sure why it's been given such a bad stigma???

It is funny that you are going to AMU for strategic intelligence, I am also looking into that program and I think that is my next step in my plan after i compete my BS in polical science at excelsior. Do you like it so far? also are grad courses really that much harder than undergrad or do they just expet more ( ie longer papers), any info is helpful
thanks

Coldnavy

CTO1 to IW Officer
It is funny that you are going to AMU for strategic intelligence, I am also looking into that program and I think that is my next step in my plan after i compete my BS in polical science at excelsior. Do you like it so far? also are grad courses really that much harder than undergrad or do they just expet more ( ie longer papers), any info is helpful
thanks

To me, Grad classes are really no different then some of the upper level classes I took from Excelsior. The writing is a bit more intense, the reading is more, but all in all, very doable. Also, being a CT, I have access to some of the stuff that the average person doesn't.

AMU is a good school, but they upped their prices. They are now $275 per credit hour. So with TA, it's $75 per class out of pocket. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of money, but I'm cheap.....

Good luck
Scott