• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

does anyone care about NKO

LoneSailor

I just wished they'd fix the dang layout of the site. It hasn't changed much in the last 3 years. It's godawful confusing just trying to navigate through it -- one page will contain like a thousand useless links. It'll take you about an hour just to get to where you need to go. Whenever our division has training on NKO, no one can find the right links until a week after.

I concur with the Army's website, it's great. Is it too much to ask for an email feature on NKO? I'd like to have an email follow me throughout my career (i.e. name@navy.mil) instead of the email domain changing every few years or so (i.e. name@cpf.123.navy.mil).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur. Like I said (and I think we agree), the Steven Covey genre is useless. It boils down to "Let's conjure up seven leadership traits that begin with letters which form an acronym or catchy phrase."

Brett
The Covey genre can be useless if it's forced on our officers and NCO's. I read the 7 Habits back before I went to my first divo tour. Personally, I thought it was a great book. I think it is more about managing your life much more than it is about leadership.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I just wished they'd fix the dang layout of the site. It hasn't changed much in the last 3 years. It's godawful confusing just trying to navigate through it -- one page will contain like a thousand useless links. It'll take you about an hour just to get to where you need to go. Whenever our division has training on NKO, no one can find the right links until a week after.

I concur with the Army's website, it's great. Is it too much to ask for an email feature on NKO? I'd like to have an email follow me throughout my career (i.e. name@navy.mil) instead of the email domain changing every few years or so (i.e. name@cpf.123.navy.mil).

Couldn't agree more on the organization. As for having an email follow you... It might not be your whole career, but for the mainstream, non-ship Navy, the @navy.mil does follow you. It's when you go to odd commands that either have their own secret squirrel network (like in DC) or when you're part of a particular group, like medical. They seem to get their own, different emails.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I think it is more about managing your life much more than it is about leadership.

Absolutely. It [Covey] got flung on the Navy back when TQM/TQL was the buzzterm du jour, and died a slow but relatively quiet death. My closest CPA to it was getting issued a copy in ROTC, allowing it to collect dust for the term and then re-donating it to the unit at the earliest possible convenience. Not to say I didn't parse through it (because I had to), but it struck me as a time management book more than anything else.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Just curious.....did the Five Vector Model ever evolve into any kind of useful tool? I remember sitting through a day-long lecture in 2002 about how the "5VM" was going to be the complete measuring stick for sailors, including all their training, leadership, and performance. He said that advancement exams would be going away in favor of Sailors being assigned a lineal standing based on their 5VM.

I don't ever remember my 5VM being updated, and now NKO is pissed at me, and has severely limited my access to certain functions.

originalbigjim

i look at my 5 vector model, it hasn't changed since boot camp, i think they are hoping we all just forget about it and then they will just delete the link.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have now spent 10 minutes on NKO trying to find the IAA awareness training we all are supposed to do. So if it's so important, why the heck is it buried in a pile of hyperlinks?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have now spent 10 minutes on NKO trying to find the IAA awareness training we all are supposed to do. So if it's so important, why the heck is it buried in a pile of hyperlinks?

Ahh, IA training. Not sure if it's still there, but if you get someone who "knows," you can get the diploma in about 5 clicks. Sorry, I can't help you, as someone else just told me where to click and I wasn't paying attention, but it certainly made the "training" easier. They may have "fixed the glitch" by now though.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh, IA training. Not sure if it's still there, but if you get someone who "knows," you can get the diploma in about 5 clicks. Sorry, I can't help you, as someone else just told me where to click and I wasn't paying attention, but it certainly made the "training" easier. They may have "fixed the glitch" by now though.
I can't even find the course. I have the catalog number from one of the squadron ISes, but unfortunately when you hit "search" on that site, the results just confuse you further . . . then I get to the Catalog of Navy Courses or whatever it's called, I sign in again . . . and the page refuses to load.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I can't even find the course. I have the catalog number from one of the squadron ISes, but unfortunately when you hit "search" on that site, the results just confuse you further . . . then I get to the Catalog of Navy Courses or whatever it's called, I sign in again . . . and the page refuses to load.

Try this:

-From NKO home page, select "Navy E-Learning" from the orange-colored "Learning" block on the upper right

-A new window will pop up; this is the Navy E-learning window.

-Under "Content" on the center left side of the window, select "Browse Categories", then "Department of Defense Training" from the frame that pops up.

-Select "Information Assurance Training" under Subcategories

-8th down on the list that shows up is "DoD Information Assurance Awareness"; select this, pick "Enroll", and then you're off to the races...

And who says Spies are worthless?

Oh, that's right - most people.... :icon_tong

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Couldn't agree more on the organization. As for having an email follow you... It might not be your whole career, but for the mainstream, non-ship Navy, the @navy.mil does follow you. It's when you go to odd commands that either have their own secret squirrel network (like in DC) or when you're part of a particular group, like medical. They seem to get their own, different emails.

Medical often operates on their own program. NKO is not an option for us...and being in a relatively small sub specialty, we were very directly told it, NKO, had to be done by a certain date. I must confess I learned little from NKO courses but, I did learn to pass the courses and keep the boss happy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm guessing that you meant NMCI isn't available to you, but the way you wrote that does have a certain air of truth to it. More than once have I been told to do training only to not be allowed to get to the website with said training by the Navy 'net nazis.