• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does a multilingual have an advantage over a monolingual?

kitemen

Hello everyone,
This is my first Thread; I am currently studding for the ASTB, I will be taking it in 6 weeks. I recently became a citizen of the United States. My dream career is to become a navy pilot!! Like many of you. I just graduated with a degree in Finance and International Business and trade. I had a full athletic scholarship for swimming.

Here are my questions:
I speak 4 languages (English, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian). If I emphasize the fact that I am multilingual on my package, will that be an advantage or disadvantage over someone who just speaks English?

For every advantage there is an disadvantage. My English speaking is not perfect; I still have a slide accent when I speak. Will that be a problem?

Thank you everyone for all the astb study threads, they are really helping me on my study!!

Best Regards,
Jonathan

Srp7286

Hello everyone,
This is my first Thread; I am currently studding for the ASTB, I will be taking it in 6 weeks. I recently became a citizen of the United States. My dream career is to become a navy pilot!! Like many of you. I just graduated with a degree in Finance and International Business and trade. I had a full athletic scholarship for swimming.

Here are my questions:
I speak 4 languages (English, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian). If I emphasize the fact that I am multilingual on my package, will that be an advantage or disadvantage over someone who just speaks English?

For every advantage there is an disadvantage. My English speaking is not perfect; I still have a slide accent when I speak. Will that be a problem?

Thank you everyone for all the astb study threads, they are really helping me on my study!!

Best Regards,
Jonathan

I speak French, and I just put it on my package. I think i can speak for most people and would say it helps, but i dont know if it would get you a upper hand. Plus the 2nd most spoken language is French anyway, but i dont think it helped me out, it shows off well roundness.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
When I got picked up for Intel, the first thing one of the other recruiters in the office said to me was, "Oh, so I bet you speak other languages." (I speak Spanish and French) It's not a requirement, and I don't think not speaking other languages will hurt an applicant, but I definitely don't see how being multilingual could be a bad thing. If nothing else, as Srp said, it shows well-roundedness.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Here are my questions:
I speak 4 languages (English, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian).
Can't hurt. I'm told certain targeted languages are more valuable than others, such as Urdu. However, showing a penchant and talent is a good thing

Could hurt. "I do not speak English perfectly" would be a good start. As for that hurting/helping you, I can't imagine it helps.[/quote]

Side note, does anyone know if a foreign born naturalized citizen can get the security clearances needed to fly?

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Can't hurt. I'm told certain targeted languages are more valuable than others, such as Urdu. However, showing a penchant and talent is a good thing

Could hurt. "I do not speak English perfectly" would be a good start. As for that hurting/helping you, I can't imagine it helps.

Way to give the guy an English lesson on Air Warriors. You're awesome.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I still have a slide accent when I speak. Will that be a problem?

And when you type, apparently. ;)

Heheh, good one. :D

<break>

Kitemen, a few thoughts-

Everyone has an accent whether they admit it or not and many native speakers have less than proper language skills...

IIRC there is a place on the application that asks about your foreign language skills and breaks each one down by read, write, and comprehend.

A good friend of mine learned English as his third language and he managed to earn the same gold wings I did. I've flown with him and I would still fly with him. You'll be fine.

Congratulations on your citizenship and best of luck to you.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Way to give the guy an English lesson on Air Warriors. You're awesome.
I'd just gotten done checking a motivational statement someone had pm'd me. I must have still been in proof reading mode. I'll never help another person in passing again, I promise.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I put down that I knew German on my application. Who knows if it helped but it certainly couldn't have hurt me unless they thought I was a Nazi.

Just put it down in the section where it asks you about it and let that be done with.

For me personally it would seem that being proficient would be extremely important in a field like this considering that you will need to communicate clearly and effectively.

If you can do that I wouldn't worry about it too much. Apply and find out. Good luck.

kitemen

Thank you for all the replies!! I appreciate the corrections on my typing. I don?t have my girlfriends to proof read my writing anymore!! ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Side note, does anyone know if a foreign born naturalized citizen can get the security clearances needed to fly?

Yes, I have known several naturalized citizens who flew in the military.

Shpion1

Contributor
Being Naturalized will not keep you from getting a commission and a clearance. Not having a girlfriend to proof your stuff might.

Tomcat aviator on my cruise in 98 was born in Iran. I was born in Romania and they trusted me enough to let me brief the CNO. That won't be the issue. Issue is can you make it and hack it?

good luck