• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dodmerb

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I know, DODMERB are a bunch of jerks. I have heard stories. Here is my question, anyone know of a mid that came in with asthma? I have a future candidate that has been diagnosed with asthma. It isn't severe, he does have an inhaler. He uses it very infrequent. He runs Track and Field no problem. The book says asthma is disqualifying. Anyone know of someone getting a waiver? I have tons of experience with just this sort of thing on the active duty OCS side and know just what to say and do in those cases. But I am new to the Naval Academy thing and this is my first real potential problem for DODMERB. Anyone...anyone...Bueler?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I know of a girl who went through NAPS, the USNA, TBS, etc. with athsma. She was, from what I could tell, concealing the fact that she had said condition, despite the fact that it was serious enough that she took pills to prevent symptoms.

Edit: Oh, and I was disqualified medically three times before getting final word that DoDMERB had accepted a rebuttal written by my squadron flight surgeon. Not for athsma, but for a stupid error on the part of medical at Iwakuni.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I know, DODMERB are a bunch of jerks. I have heard stories. Here is my question, anyone know of a mid that came in with asthma? I have a future candidate that has been diagnosed with asthma. It isn't severe, he does have an inhaler. He uses it very infrequent. He runs Track and Field no problem. The book says asthma is disqualifying. Anyone know of someone getting a waiver? I have tons of experience with just this sort of thing on the active duty OCS side and know just what to say and do in those cases. But I am new to the Naval Academy thing and this is my first real potential problem for DODMERB. Anyone...anyone...Bueler?

My best friend (a 1/C at the USNA) received a waiver after revealing to DODMERB that he had asthma but he doesn't use an inhaler. He was disqualified from aviation after failing the methacholine test and he is going sub nuke.

Nose

pilot
I flew for 18 years w/ a hay fever waiver. (Young and dumb and told them...) I was told that Asthma is about the same deal. Depends on how severe / what meds / etc. Not familiar with DODMERB, are they as useless as NAMI/NOMI?

N

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Is he being recruited for a sport? I'm not trying to stir anyone up over recruiting athletes and what not, but I'm having dinner with pops man tonight and I know thats the first thing he will ask when I bring this up. Minority? Once again not trying to stir anyone up, but this will be the second thing he asks. Is he competitive in every way but this?

For what its worth I had "congested airways" from when I was born until I was about 6 months old (which I didn't know until it became an issue when I applied) and I had to jump through hoops of fire to prove that it went away and I had been living with no problems for the next 19 years...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Wink,
I talked with my dad tonight and he says your guy has a good shot. He said he is going to fail DODMERB because of the asthma, but after that he can apply for a waiver. What he will need to do is get a letter from his Track coach (and any other sport coach he may have) saying that he has competed in a rigorous sport without any problems or dependency on his inhaler. He then will need to go to his doctor and have his doctor write something to the effect of "He has an inhaler, but he hasn't had any major flare ups in XX years, or they are very iregular, etc.". He said when you send these in he should stand a pretty good chance of getting a waiver for the asthma, then its going to be up to the rest of his stats to get him in. If hes borderline its probably going to be a negative. Bottom line is, yes they do give asthma waivers.

I also sent you a PM.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
WINK,

As far as I know the main element of getting an asthma waiver is going to your personal physician and having him/her do a Pulmonary Function Test (PFT). Naturally, this will measure lung capacity and other respiratory functions. If he can pass, it will greatly increase his chance of getting that waiver.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is he being recruited for a sport? I'm not trying to stir anyone up over recruiting athletes and what not, but I'm having dinner with pops man tonight and I know thats the first thing he will ask when I bring this up. Minority? Once again not trying to stir anyone up, but this will be the second thing he asks. Is he competitive in every way but this?

For what its worth I had "congested airways" from when I was born until I was about 6 months old (which I didn't know until it became an issue when I applied) and I had to jump through hoops of fire to prove that it went away and I had been living with no problems for the next 19 years...

No and No. Just an ordinary young man, otherwise qualified, that would be a fine officer. Thanks for the additional info as well. I'll follow up on your PM.