• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Doc's input: Melanoma

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I read the part of the NOMI waiver guide stickied at the top of this forum regarding "malignant melanoma" and need some help interpreting it. Specifically, what do they consider "a history of malignant melnoma", or what do they even consider "malignant melanoma"? As a purely hypothetical situation, of course, say someone had a very small mole on the outboard side of their right big toe. Say this person's doctor didn't like the look of it and recommended them to a dermatologist for a biopsy. Now say that this dermatologist found it to be "malignant" or whatever, decided it was necessary to remove, performed the surgury, and all were happy.

the end?

nugget61

pilot
Kinda bringing this thread back, but has there been an answer found to this? What if said mole was found to be benign, however the doc wanted to remove it anyway? And if this were to happen, what kind of paperwork would the doc have to fill out?

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
That's what my situation turned out to be. Granted my entire mole was removed for the biopsy sample... My recruiter said to have plenty of copies of the pathology report in case it ever came up. I also supplied a copy to have on file with him at the NRD. We went ahead with the understanding that unless the removal inhibits your ability to perform any required duties, it should have 0 significance. But, that came from a O-recruiter and an SNA final-select, hopefully a navy doc will chime in with an answer that holds some measure of authority :icon_tong

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I have get moles removed all the time. When I was enlisted I had some that were A-typical and it had no effect on my package. Last year I had one removed and they told me it was stage 2 melanoma. Called a week later to make a follow up and got the "My bad, we read the report wrong."

nugget61

pilot
That's what my situation turned out to be. Granted my entire mole was removed for the biopsy sample... My recruiter said to have plenty of copies of the pathology report in case it ever came up. I also supplied a copy to have on file with him at the NRD. We went ahead with the understanding that unless the removal inhibits your ability to perform any required duties, it should have 0 significance. But, that came from a O-recruiter and an SNA final-select, hopefully a navy doc will chime in with an answer that holds some measure of authority :icon_tong

Just keep a copy of the report and I'm golden: Check. Thanks guys.