• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

do we have to memorize any equations

jooman360

Should I know area of a circle or perimeter of a cirlcle on the ASTB? Is there any other equations i should know besides things like a2 +b2= c2.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Should I know area of a circle or perimeter of a cirlcle on the ASTB? Is there any other equations i should know besides things like a2 +b2= c2.

Yes. Tons of study guide material out there, do a search on amazon.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
I don't remember having to know a bunch of equations. Obviously you are going to need to know the basic ones just like for the ACT/SAT. You will also have to know basic rules that you have probably forgotten since math class in high school. Anyhow, I used a Cliffs Test Prep book and that helped a lot, I also heard the Arco book is decent but I never used that. However, the math section is very very similar to that on the ACT/SAT maybe even a little easier.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
There are some basic concepts about pulley's, mechanical advantage, and MAYBE the equation for kinetic and potential energies. But for god's sake, this isn't a fvcking modern physics or Diff EQ exam. The "required" equations you need to know take 5 minutes and if you've taken highschool calc or physics then you probably already know them backwards and forwards.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
I took the ASTB about two months ago. PM me for any specific questions you might have. Otherwise what the guys above have said along with a little bit of a search, should give you all of the desired info that you need for a successful ASTB. Best of luck and work hard.

Cheers

couell3584

Im retaking my astb next month. Last time I took it I remember needing to know pythagorem theory, and perimeter and area of circle and such. The mechanics section might as well have been a foreign language for me. PM and we can exchange info.

bradler

Yes you will have to learn equations but the thing that sucks is depending on what test form you take you probably will only use one so have fun studying. :D

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Circles

Triangles

Mechanical Advantage

They all come from the same principles, and you need to know the 30 equations unless you can just know the few principles. Damn it's good to be a nerd.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I took it without having any physics whatsoever. The mechanical was tough but I just logically thought my way through it. For the math, you should know basic trig (sin, cos, tan, pythagorean theorem, etc) and be comfortable looking at a story problem and setting it up algebraically.

If it means anything to you, I scored a 7/7/7 57 on it while half way through a semester of pre-calc with no physics.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I took it without having any physics whatsoever. The mechanical was tough but I just logically thought my way through it. For the math, you should know basic trig (sin, cos, tan, pythagorean theorem, etc) and be comfortable looking at a story problem and setting it up algebraically.

If it means anything to you, I scored a 7/7/7 57 on it while half way through a semester of pre-calc with no physics.

Nice scores Matt. I'm glad I am not competing with you for the SNA board next month. Good luck with PLC.

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
has the astb changed drastically? I took in in 2005--so if it hasnt the gouge on "navygouge.com" is money. Use the gouge for the ASTB--DONT USE IT FOR FLIGHT SCHOOL!

Tswann

i just took the ASTB a week ago and passed. I had the ARCO study guide. it helped some but only really helped because it had the practice exam in it. My advice...know simple algebra, geometry...area, diameter of various shapes, simple physics i.e. mechanical advantage and ratios. other than that just pick up a book on nautical info cuz you're gonna need to know terms and structure of aircraft and boats and some simple weather questions.

PigzFly

I just took the astb on Friday. What has not been mentioned is that there is a set of equations that is provided by the test (computer version) for you. I didnt need them (or I didnt think I did) so I can not promise what is listed but I do remember the area for a circle and the volume of a sphere. Of course the whole test matters, but if you are trying to go aviation, focus on the spacial appreciation, the aviation and nautical info, and the mechanical comp. These are what make up the majority of the pilot and flight officer ratings. The Barrons's military flight aptitude test prep book has what I believe to be the best spacial app. coverage. But be careful the computer images are not great. Good luck. Just remember "take your time, but hurry up"

Just point of reference: 8, 7, 8, 68