• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do midshipmen on advanced standing need to take caclulus and calc based physics?

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
I'm AS. Did not take calc/physics. Got SNA and I'm out this May. Dunno how common my types are nowadays, but that's my deal, for what it's worth. Like gparks said, I wouldn't recommend it, but you still get the same commission as all the other kids.

punx_clever

Not saying it's not an option, but I'd recommend shooting for picking up a side-load or PNS scholarship. Yeah, they are getting rare right now, but if you are in the running for either one, you are in the running for advanced standing. Push yourself. You have a built in support network to help you with classes including kids who are in the classes, and those who have finished them already. You can also tag along with scholarship mids while they get help from their tutors (chances are someone is utilizing that little perk).

As a side note, it's pretty cool that your unit still has a Chief. That's getting rare too.

cameron172

pilot
Not saying it's not an option, but I'd recommend shooting for picking up a side-load or PNS scholarship. Yeah, they are getting rare right now, but if you are in the running for either one, you are in the running for advanced standing. Push yourself. You have a built in support network to help you with classes including kids who are in the classes, and those who have finished them already. You can also tag along with scholarship mids while they get help from their tutors (chances are someone is utilizing that little perk).

As a side note, it's pretty cool that your unit still has a Chief. That's getting rare too.

That's what my plan was, but last year NETC decided that there would be no side-load or PNS scholarships to anyone (at least that's what the Skipper told all the College Programmers). In other words, the only people getting NROTC scholarships were incoming freshmen. So a transfer to a cheaper cross-town University extends my graduation date.

But yeah, your advisors will write the recommendation for a side-load/PNS scholarship, so everything you do in the Unit matters. Get as involved and do your best in everything going on, because it may not seem like it, but your LT will hear about your outstanding work through the grapevine.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
That's what my plan was, but last year NETC decided that there would be no side-load or PNS scholarships to anyone (at least that's what the Skipper told all the College Programmers). In other words, the only people getting NROTC scholarships were incoming freshmen.

Can't you apply for a 3.5, 3 or 2 years scholarship?

cameron172

pilot
Can't you apply for a 3.5, 3 or 2 years scholarship?

I applied for them, but NETC did not award a single one. I just found the notice from the NETC Chief of Staff which included this table:

gh.jpg

NSTC Notice 1533

Avaliable on page 3, the table shows that those College Program midshipmen who plan to commission in 2012 or 2013 will not be eligible for any side-load scholarships, only eligible for Advanced Standing. Only those CP MIDN commissioning in 2014 will become eligible to get on full scholarship by their junior year. There's just a handful of MIDN, including myself, that get the very short end of the stick!

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I applied for them, but NETC did not award a single one. I just found the notice from the NETC Chief of Staff which included this table:

View attachment 12315

NSTC Notice 1533

Avaliable on page 3, the table shows that those College Program midshipmen who plan to commission in 2012 or 2013 will not be eligible for any side-load scholarships, only eligible for Advanced Standing. Only those CP MIDN commissioning in 2014 will become eligible to get on full scholarship by their junior year. There's just a handful of MIDN, including myself, that get the very short end of the stick!

Oh, I was referring to national scholarships. Is there a difference between national and side-load?

cameron172

pilot
Oh, I was referring to national scholarships. Is there a difference between national and side-load?

From everything that I'm reading, the "national" scholarship refers to the 4-year scholarship that high school students apply and get. The side-load are for those already College Programmers or in college.