• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do low passing scores inhibit choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garygnu

I recently passed the ASTB, however my scores were less than stellar. I was told that I didn't have the option to be and NFO, but that I could be a pilot if accepted to OCS. You would think that the reverse would be the truth. Perhaps an area of the score applies to the acceptance of a specific position? Does anyone know the limitations of a low score? Is there a possibility that I could retake the test for a better score? I know that people who don't pass the first time get to retake the exam. Perhaps I could take a second shot at it. Thanks
cowboy_125.gif

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
OK, I am assuming this is your first time taking the test. If so, you can take it again in 30 days. If not, then you will have to wait six months to take it again. A low score doesn't always mean you won't be selected. Lots of people get in because the other factors (GPA, major, etc.) outweighed their score. Basically, if you think that you can do better, get the study guide and prep. If you think that it was your best shot, role with it. You never know. One warning though, if you take it again and fail it, that score is the one that counts. You can't pick the one you like the best. That's the breaks. Hope this helps.
--goplay

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
also, ASTB once you select SNA becomes meaningless. I think that was part of your question too. It will not affect pplatform selection or grades in flgith school one bit.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SNA is Student Naval Aviator or pilot dude. What I want to know is why garygnu thinks "it should be the other way around". Is that because he thinks you have to be smarter to be a pilot? Or maybe that it is harder to be a pilot so it should be easier to get into NFO? I'll wait for his answer so I know how badly he needs a knock up side the head. As to the second part of his question, yes there are different scores taken from the exam that are supposed to predict the apptitude of someone for either pilot or NFO.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Yeah, I love the fact the NFOs seem to be seen as not as sexy as pilots. Frankly, I think I'm very sexy.

garygnu

I wasn't trying to disrespect NFO's. From my cursory look at the chat forums on this site, it appears that pilot slots are highly sought after. I incorrectly assumed that there was a correlation between competition and aptitude. I stand corrected. To be honest, I wish I had the option of NFO.
I have a question about SNA. I realize that once you get in, your ASTB scores don't matter. However, doesn't a low score restrict your chances of being selected to SNA to begin with? Thanks
cowboy_125.gif

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ASTB scores are used for intital selection for OCS and desired program. A low score is noted but the complete application stands on its own. Therefore a low ASTB can be made up for by superior grades in college, leadership experience and many other factors. If there is a chance for retaking the exam and your recruiter recommends it, do so. Otherwise don't worry too much. BTW, what drives a competitive ASTB, aside from the apptitude scores, is competition. Everyone likes to think Naval Aviation is the most elite job in the Navy, but at times getting selected for Surface Warfare can be even more difficult. The main reason pilot is usually harder to get into is that anyone interested in flying thinks pilot is all there is. Most folks don't know what an NFO is or has the wrong impression based on the AF Navigator program (not positive). For that reason pilot tends to fill up sooner than NFO and closes giving the impression that it is more competitive. Initially that may be so. But the actual competitive profile of the selected SNFOs is almost identical to those that select for SNA in the same year. In any case, I didn't take offense. A NFO that takes offense by such talk doesn't belong in Naval Aviation.

Status
Not open for further replies.