• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do I Have what it takes for NROTC? I'm willing to give my all.

Jacob

I know there are many programs with in the navy for schooling, but the first one I plan to go for is NROTC. I am currently a senior, the first semester is soon to end, my current GPA is 3.2. I'm 5'11 and weigh 142lbs. I run track and cross country I am the captain of both teams, I have been captain of the cc team since my sophomore year and track my junior year, and I can run a 5k in 19:03 and run the 800m in 2:02 seconds, I have taken advanced placement weight lifting since 10th grade and was always in P.E before then. I have talked to the navy recruiter in my area, I am signed up to take the ADSVAB Nov. 10th and the S.A.T Dec. 3rd. I'm very passionate about health care, I've been taking health care classes since my junior year, and many other health related classes, such Human anatomy an physiology. I want to receive the NROTC scholarship so I can further my studies in the medical field, then use my studies within the United States Navy to help others around the world. I plan to become a Registered Nurse, I want to be with Navy Nurse Corps. I am soon to speak with the navy recruiter in my local area, about NROTC. What are my chances of getting the full scholarship?

I have also been a member of HOSA for two years, as well as the spanish club. I also believe I will do very well on the SAT and the ADSVAB.

jtmedli

pilot
Just a hint: Those "what are my chances" questions usually dont go over well here. No one knows.

You don't need to give us your resume like that. Save that for you application and selection packages. Because here's the thing, I was a high school band nerd who had never lifted weights or ran until I was 22. My high school GPA was good, but I literally never cracked a book. I had no idea what I wanted to be at your age and what I did think changed over the span of 4 years..drastically. At the end of the day, I brought my college GPA up, got my butt into the gym, did AFROTC (which I dropped to pursue Navy OCS), and improved myself immensely. It's all about how much you really want it and if that desire can make it through 4 or 5 years of what will certainly seem like total BS at times (or 12 weeks of OCS in my case + 2 years of trying to get in). If it does, and you push through, then you'll commission and be an RN in the USN.

So, do you have what it takes? You sound like a great candidate for it to me, but academics and PT skills are only 50% of it (if that much). The other 50% of that is just wanting it bad enough because college and life in general has a weird way of changing your priorties.

Jacob

Just a hint: Those "what are my chances" questions usually dont go over well here. No one knows.

You don't need to give us your resume like that. Save that for you application and selection packages. Because here's the thing, I was a high school band nerd who had never lifted weights or ran until I was 22. My high school GPA was good, but I literally never cracked a book. I had no idea what I wanted to be at your age and what I did think changed over the span of 4 years..drastically. At the end of the day, I brought my college GPA up, got my butt into the gym, did AFROTC (which I dropped to pursue Navy OCS), and improved myself immensely. It's all about how much you really want it and if that desire can make it through 4 or 5 years of what will certainly seem like total BS at times (or 12 weeks of OCS in my case + 2 years of trying to get in). If it does, and you push through, then you'll commission and be an RN in the USN.

So, do you have what it takes? You sound like a great candidate for it to me, but academics and PT skills are only 50% of it (if that much). The other 50% of that is just wanting it bad enough because college and life in general has a weird way of changing your priorties.
Very helpful answer, than you very much.

jtmedli

pilot
Very helpful answer, than you very much.

No problem man. I've seen numerous guys (even OCS complete Marine 2nd Lt selects) that were in amazing shape or ridiculously smart that thought about and/or decided to turn down their commission or get out of ROTC for various reasons. Talking to a friend right now who is in that boat because of his GF situation.

I certainly didn't have "what it takes" at first, but I put in the effort and dealt with the BS and medical problems along the way and now I'm getting paid to fly T6Bs everyday and, hopefully, a fleet A/C someday soon. Sometimes, and in this case it certainly applies, "having what it takes" has to be accompanied by "wanting it bad enough."

Good luck to you and I hope you get that scholarship.

Jacob

No problem man. I've seen numerous guys (even OCS complete Marine 2nd Lt selects) that were in amazing shape or ridiculously smart that thought about and/or decided to turn down their commission or get out of ROTC for various reasons. Talking to a friend right now who is in that boat because of his GF situation.

I certainly didn't have "what it takes" at first, but I put in the effort and dealt with the BS and medical problems along the way and now I'm getting paid to fly T6Bs everyday and, hopefully, a fleet A/C someday soon. Sometimes, and in this case it certainly applies, "having what it takes" has to be accompanied by "wanting it bad enough."

Good luck to you and I hope you get that scholarship.
Wanting it bad enough.. I like that saying much better than, ''Do I have what it takes", it's much more motivational, you have inspired me, thank you.

eagleerok

One down, three to go
Along with wanting it bad enough, stay outta trouble. Just today a friend of mine, AFROTC, got a MIC and his chances of continuing in the program are slim and his chances of actually getting a commission if they let him stay in is slim to none. College is a HIGHLY distracting place! And I emphasize the HIGHLY because there are alot of distractions. It takes more than dedication to the program to be successful and to make it through, your academics need to be great, and your behavior has to be perfect

Jacob

Along with wanting it bad enough, stay outta trouble. Just today a friend of mine, AFROTC, got a MIC and his chances of continuing in the program are slim and his chances of actually getting a commission if they let him stay in is slim to none. College is a HIGHLY distracting place! And I emphasize the HIGHLY because there are alot of distractions. It takes more than dedication to the program to be successful and to make it through, your academics need to be great, and your behavior has to be perfect
Agreed, there is no question about that what so ever.

jtmedli

pilot

So...basically....FU$% his Couch!!

KBayDog

What is a "MIC"?

tumblr_lke3yhzMM71qdmzqqo1_500.jpg