• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do I have a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm126

I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me. I'm 21 and just graduated with a BA in Criminal Justice. I am presently employed as a Police Officer, but I've finally decided to follow my dream and pursue a career as a Naval Officer, hopefully in aviation. Everyone I've spoken with, however, tells me I'm not a good candidate for Naval Aviation due to the non-technical nature of my degree/work experience. The recruiter I spoke with didn't seem too optimistic about my chances either. I was actually told by a recruiter that the only thing my degree prepared me for was arresting loser drunks, and I should'nt pursue aviation. Is it possible for someone with a nontechnical degree to become a naval aviator?

jaerose

I'm not a Naval Aviator yet, but I'm selected for SNA...in my opinion it doesn't matter. I've read books about some of the better NAs being non-technical degree holders and some people with technical master's degrees washing out. You see, IMHO, it's more about the person and their ability to assimilate a lot of info quickly and adapt to changing situations. I think if that's what you want to do, then apply. If that recruiter won't give you 100%...work with someone else. Don't worry about what others say, shoot for your goals! Good luck.

JR

catpounce

Listen to jaerose! I have a degree in Human Ecology, and no, no one knows what that is (made it fun finding real work here in New York). But I showed them my commitment to my goals in the past and my commitment to this goal through my application, recommendations, and personal statement. I also had allot of leadership experience in high school, college, and work after college. That I believe is what they want to see. Commitment and ability to learn, achieve, and lead. I can only imagine that being a Police Officer can help not hinder. Best of luck to you!

dufault.2

Ugh-same old story. Don't let a recruiter convince you you shouldn't try for an aviation slot. If you don't belong there, let the boards tell you. I graduated with a mediocre GPA and a History degree, and I got accepted becasue of my prior service and ASTB score. Catpounce is right-if the only factor was your degree, I'd be reading the classifieds right now instead of typing this post. If you want it, go after it. Good luck!!

GO BUCKEYES!!

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
yeah I had spoken briefly to a Navy recruiter..he seemed hell-bent on sticking me in a submarine...besides the Marine route seemed a lot more appealing to me...

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

kevin

"arresting loser drunks"? what about winner drunks? ditto to what everyone said, go for it. when times are competitive, a technical major can help sort through lots of people, but that's about all it's good for. jaerose said it best, it's about you as a person and your abilities...and hopefully the board sees that. but im gonna stop writing since ive been ruffling some feathers as of late.

jlinscott

I have spoken to several Aviation officers and Aviation recruiters about this and I was told that it doesn't make that much of a difference. They all gave me the same statistic that approximatley 60% of all naval aviators have technical degrees and 40% have nontechnical degrees. So, there may be a slight edge for the technical majors but not much. Excel on the other parts of your application to make up the difference.

I have been selected SNA and I am getting my degree in psychology. (I am prior enlisted though so I don't know if that made a difference).

-Jason

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't add much that hasn't been said except from the other perspective. Sorry that recruiter was so rude. I have to say, maybe he knows something about you not said here and just gave you the dgree excuse to get you to walk away. I expect if you are a cop there aren't too many other things to worry about on an app. You didn't mention GPA. As these guys said, it is very competitive now. So, they do prefer a tech major, but that can't stop you from applying. If you have a CJ major with less than a 3.0 you better study for the test real well and plan on smoking it. I have had two Police Officer applicants over the years. You can make that experience work for you. Emphasize the paramilitary type training you have had to this point. Makes you less likely to DOR in OCS. Point out the obvious responsiblities and authority that you have, lethal force, and arrest. You make important judgement calls every day that effect people's lives. Many of these decisions are made under pressure in mere seconds, and all your decisions have to stand the scrutiny of your boss, lawyers, and jurys because there is a record and consequence for your actions. Don't give up yet. You are young, you can wait and reapply when things open a bit. If GPA is a problem, try to take some classes to make a record of good academic achievement. Good Luck

mimisoko9

Wink, based on your experience, I was hoping you could offer some clarification.

When you recommend to people what to stress when it comes to things such as relevent professional experience, in what forum would you be referring to?

Since there are no interviews (for civilians) or essays, would the only opportunity for that be in the 200-word personal statement in the application? Also, do you know if "200 words" means "200 words and not a single word longer?"

Thanks.

-Mimi

catpounce

I thought I might pipe in here on the relevant professional experience. I used one of my recommendations to help address this issue by letting them know what I was trying to stress with my application, not telling them what to write but rather a basic structure that they could work in to help focus the recommendation. This allowed me to use the personal statement to introduce myself, my intentions, and my qualifications and the recommendations to support the claims.

jaerose

Yes, 200 words means 200 words and not one extra...but you can say a lot in that 200 words! Just be very concise.

JR

mimisoko9

I'm not known for being brief and to the point. It takes me 10min to tell a 2min story.

I'm at 260 (words, not pounds). I'll have to see if I can whittle it down.

Thanks guys.
icon_smile.gif

kevin

mimisoko, not to be judgmental but it's good youre not at 260 lbs. this might seem obvious, but have you let an english prof or someone like that look over your essay? after i finished my essay i had the people over at nrotc read it and comment. just a thought.

rpm126

Well, I graduated with a 4.0 and I was an engineering major for 3 years before I decided I wanted to be a cop, so the math isn't a problem. I was told I wouldn't get it right after I told the recruiter what my degree was in and my job was, he didn't even want to talk to me.

dufault.2

Argh!!
headache_125.gif
Ditch that **** and find a recruiter who will help you. You are serving your country as a cop for Pete's sake. The least that jerk could do is treat you with some respect. Breath...
Sorry about your luck. My recruiter was pretty helpful, so I know they all can't be bad. Good luck with the search.
Have your cop buddies write him some hefty traffic tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.