• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do fighter jets have climate control?

phrogpilot73

BTW, is your squadron one of those that took out the heaters on their 46s? Those JP5-powered heaters put out some serious heat on those rare occasions you need them--well the pilots never, the aircrew need it sometimes.
That's the beauty of being one of the last remaining Phrog squadrons on the East Coast. There's a lot of spare parts lying around. Every aircraft in our squadron has a working heater, and an AO's window to put in during the winter months. I only ever saw those on VIP hops in the fleet!

joeyjoejoe

While we're on the topic of climate control, does anybody know about helicopter climate controls? An apache pilot told me at an airshow before that their cockpits are cooled from the A/C that keeps the avionics cooled, it just blows the exhaust air into the cabin which is sufficiently comfortable. But what about blackhawk pilots who fly in an open cabin? Their cockpit is shared with the rest of the crew, and half the time the doors are wide open in flight. Do they just roll the window down? Or do they still receive some level of air conditioning despite the lack of aircraft insulation?

Also, I keep getting pestered by the mods, so sorry if I have been an annoyance. I fabricated a lot of my personal info just because im one of those people who dont like to give my life story to random strangers on the internet. Personally I feel it's rather irrelevant how old I am, where I live, what I do for a living, etc etc. They have gone so far is to do traceroutes on my ip and find my isp and regional location to see if it matches what I said, wtf? Yea I'm in South Carolina at the moment but I'm from Houston and I can tell you all about it. Anyway, I dont want something I say here to come back to me in my real life. But if my questions are a nuissance well then I apologize.

MasterBates

Search. Is. Your. Friend.

Some helos have AC. Some don't.

Some have it for "passenger comfort" other just have it for avionics cooling, and any left over for the pilots is a bonus.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, I keep getting pestered by the mods, so sorry if I have been an annoyance. I fabricated a lot of my personal info just because im one of those people who dont like to give my life story to random strangers on the internet. Personally I feel it's rather irrelevant how old I am, where I live, what I do for a living, etc etc. They have gone so far is to do traceroutes on my ip and find my isp and regional location to see if it matches what I said, wtf? Yea I'm in South Carolina at the moment but I'm from Houston and I can tell you all about it. Anyway, I dont want something I say here to come back to me in my real life. But if my questions are a nuissance well then I apologize.
I'll tell you WTF. There are real military aviators on this site that you're talking to, not some asthmatic nerd who lives in his mom's basement surrounded by every copy of Jane's ever published. The wings next to someone's username mean they've earned them in real life. What does that mean?

First, you're probably going to get the straight dope if you ask a question here. That said, everyone who posts here does so out of the goodness of their heart and to help the next kid in line trying to do what they do now. Thus, like most volunteer organizations, we are giving of our free time, want to use it to help, but don't want to waste it with trolls.

Further, military aviators are a credible source for information in our chosen field compared to Joe Blow off the street. Thus, the mods like to know who we are talking to. It may not be a very likely scenario, but if someone starts asking detailed questions about aircraft, tactics, or things of that nature, the mods will probably do due diligence and make sure that they aren't posting from North Korea or something like that. Having a combat aviator or flight student say something carries more weight than the aforementioned asthmatic nerd. Generals and Admirals also lurk here, and have occasionally posted as well.

So we need to make sure that what we post doesn't A) put info out that could be of intel value to another country, B) piss off someone many paygrades higher than us, and/or C) give a reporter a reason to say "aviators on airwarriors.com stated X," which would probably in turn lead to A) or B). We don't want to get in trouble in real life over something we posted on the Internet any more than you do.

And if you think you're anonymous on the Internet, I've got this bridge near San Francisco I'm looking to sell. With the way the real estate market's going these days, it's an absolute steal.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Also, asking questions, expecting answers and then copping a shitty attitude when the mods ask you to play by the rules is not kosher. There's a reason they ask you to fill out your bio and info, and it's to prevent repeats of some fiascoes that have happened in the past. Nobody's asking you for your fucking bank account number.

And if you don't want something you say to come back at you, then follow this simple rule - don't be an asshole.

joeyjoejoe

I know what started all this. I started asking for detailed answers about specific military equipment and how it works, which raised red flags. They looked at my bio to wonder who is this guy and why does he care how to start the ignition on a fighter jet, and then they see a bunch of bogus info and it starts to look suspicious. Afterall the 9/11 hijackers took like 8 weeks of private pilot lessons in a cessna, a few hours of simulation in a boeing and read the pilots handbook and they were able to control a 747 jet.

Usually I'm better than that, I know not to ask questions like "how high can an f-22 REALLY fly, how far does the radar in an AWAX go, what kind of fuel does a cruise missile use" etc etc. The nagging question of how fighter jets start up was one I was never able to find online and the only missing piece of information when I fantasize about climbing into the seat of one. It slipped my mind that it might be considered a security risk to actually know step by step how one is started.

Anyway, I dont think I've given off any kind of attitude to anyone and you dont know what my discussions with the mods have been. I still stand by my stance that despite nittany said regarding officers on this site and reporting accurate information, all of that falls on the responder, not the me. But when it comes to protecting my identity, I dont want to talk in a manner that is recognizable to colleagues who may have issues with my love of fighter jets, think I'm a war monger, and resent me at the office for example. Or maybe one day I'm running for president on a peacenik platform and declare the military is evil, and then someone somehow links my post here to what I'm saying on stage. It's amazing how people have managed to trace back anonymous messages to their sources based purely upon sentence structure and other unwitting details like derivatives of the name I chose, etc etc. For all I know my recruiter visits this page and knows "hey, I know that guy, he was in there 2 months ago! Now he's asking about the navy?" It has nothing to do with my fear of looking like an asshole, as it has to do with someone judging me because of my associations.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
But when it comes to protecting my identity, I dont want to talk in a manner that is recognizable to colleagues who may have issues with my love of fighter jets, think I'm a war monger, and resent me at the office for example.

If they recognize you, that means their peacenik asses were here on AirWarriors themselves.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
*sigh* And with that, Joey goes full retard.

Kids today, with their rock-and-roll and hula-hoops. Can't tell 'em a goddamned thing.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
I think I'm acutally dumber for having read his posts, it really surprises me the wealth of knowledge that some are willing to piss away because they got their feelings hurt.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Typical entitlement generation victim mentality.:sleep_125

In spades...what he can't see from Mod perspective (aside from what has already been said) is we go by Viral Rule of 10. In other words, when a new poster shows up and asks a barrage of questions without establishing who they are, do we want 10 more "Monkey see, Monkey see" copycats?

In this case, no! AW is not Naval Aviation Answer.com. It exists to mentor and motivate those who want to follow in footsteps of those who have earned their wings of gold. Asking about ECS and start procedures as an introduction is not the same as asking about USMC vs USN flight school options or the ASTB. If we don't check this behavior, we are indirectly endorsing it.

And what he fails to mention is JJJ was traced to another site saying:

Knowing nothing about the CAP I have been trying to find out exactly what joining CAP as a pilot could mean for me? I have no interest in joining the military, and my only desire is to fly. Does the CAP pay me to fly? Do I simply volunteer my time and fly CAP aircraft for free? Or do I pay to fly for CAP myself and enjoy donating my flight time to a worthwhile cause rather than joy riding around my hometown?

Additionally, 2 of his 3 given ages put him outside opportunity window to fly for USN or USMC so he was asked by several Mods to clarify this info, but elected to cop an attitude and take his stance to the open forum vice keeping it private so my answer (above) is here.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Keep up the good work Triple-J.

stupidity-stupidity-demotivational-poster-1226826996.jpg

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'll answer that one for you - it's affixed to the top of fuselage so it doesn't go anywhere.
Actually, it would go are far as the plane does....since it's affixed to it.

But I like your thought process in answering this jerk-off joey.