• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Discouraged

navyag08

I am pretty discouraged about my ASTB scores... 45 4/4/4 . I think my biggest mistake was alot of studying with the Cliffs notes. (NOT recommended!!) Luckily, I found airwarriors and quickly switched to ARCO. I am definitely not giving up. I am more motivated now than ever! Does anyone have any advice on how to improve? Any idea what the average improvement is on the second test? My retake is scheduled for next Thursday. I will probably drive to Houston to take the computer version on APEX because I am anxious to get my package together ASAP. Until then...I will live, breath, and eat math, basic physics concepts, aviation and nautical information.

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
Profile says you're at A&M, I have NO idea of the structure / staffing of the Corps of Cadets there, but perhaps there's an aviator assigned to the unit that could give you some E.T.. I'm only mentioning this b/c going that same route and seeking out a little tutelage instead of going it on my own helped me to improve my scores.

mjcIII

USMC LCpl
I have yet to take the ASTB, however my father spent an entire night digging through computer files to find his study guide. He finally found one that I now have on the computer it seems to be very ligitamit. If you give me your e-mail via private message, I would be more than happy to send it to you.

navyag08

non-reg

I'm a non-reg, not in the Corps of Cadets. Don't get me wrong, props to those in the Corps but I think BDCP is a better option...for me at least.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
The ASTB shouldn't be such a huge worry. Do as well as you can, and I suggest finding a NA to help you as someone above has stated.

Just so you don't worry too much, I had a 60 6/6/5 (one of them was a 5... I think it was the last one...) and I graduated in Dec 2005. As long as you have a decent GPA to follow behind it (mine was a 3.5 in Business Leadership) you can probably expect to be accepted like me! Being from A&M isn't bad either.

Now, if you're sitting on a low GPA from a community college... then the test carries more weight. The part that was hardest for me (and still is) is recognizing those stupid two dimensional black and white aircraft-cockpit-orientation-pitch-pictures.

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
Same problem here. Those pictures are a bit of a pain.

The pictures can be different from study guide to study guide. Kind of vague, but the differences between some colors / shapes, the a/c shape, etc can make a difference for some people, did for me.

@ navyag08: Even if you aren't in the Corps, was suggesting to try and seek out an instructor regardless, see if you can get some help. Again, no idea how accessible the staff is to "outsiders", but could be worth a shot.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
The first advice I have is to...Give Me Back my Avatar! :tongue2_1

Well, ok you can use it..but no touching! :D

As for the ASTB, you can use the study guide burried deep within these boards. It is supposed to be quite good. Also, use an ASVAB study guide to practice the math and mechanical sections. Check your local library for details. You can find a Sea Rules of the Road file from the Coast Guard Auxilary website to learn these terms and rules (ball diamond ball, etc).

Good luck, have fun and you have two more tries!

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and will do an intro later. I've only taken the ASTB once and made a 7/8/7 54. I studied a combo of study guides that I found online (from this forum) and also 3 hard copies that you can pick up at any book store (including the cliff notes). Each study guide had its discrepancies but the combination of them really helped. I even saw quite a few of the exact questions on the test that I had studied. Here is some strategy for the test. I would say that on 95% of the questions, two of the answers can be eliminated instantly. So that betters your odds of getting the right answer. Also, especially on the computer version, skip every question that you can't answer instantly. Answer the ones that you know off the top of your head first. Then answer the ones that you know how to work and that require only simple, quick calculations. And finally, using process of elimination with the answers, attempt to finish the rest of the questions. This will ensure that, if you run out of time, you will have answered all the questions that you know, only leaving the few that you dont know unanswered. I hope that made sense.

surferb

I had trouble conceptualizing the pictures too. This is probably to easiest place to improve your score after studying (since it's so specific). After studying I got a 7/6/6 64

I found it helpful to break down the pictures and answer a few questions.

-Which side's higher. That will determine right or left bank. Think carefully about this one - I had it backwards at first.
-Climbing/level/descending (bisect the horizon - "top, middle, or bottom"
-Land on right/left (direction of flight) or "out/returning from sea"

After breaking it down and practicing, it became a lot more intuitive to just look at the pictures - minimally to quickly rule out impossible choices.

Good luck. I'd like to hear how much you improved your score.