• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Discharge for PRT failure . . .

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You know…and you can call me "old school"…because you'd be EXACTLY correct…but I think that society/congress/legal structures owe something…maybe little things…but SOMETHING…to those who raised their hand at a point in time when:
1. The nation was at war
2. No one HAD to…
I equate failing 3 PRTs with smoking weed in Colorado. No one had to raise their right hand, but when they did they knew what the terms of their agreements with the military were and in both cases fail to live up to them. It's also no secret to a servicemember what will happen to him over the year and a half he decides to continue staying out of height/weight standards.

Pro-tip: If a Sailor is even rope and choked and he does not either A) have the physique of an amateur bodybuilder or B) measure over 6'0" (the height/weight chart doesn't scale well, should be adding at least 7 lbs per inch not 5), he almost certainly exceeds the bodyfat standards of the Navy and the aforementioned unscientific rope and choke is the only thing that keeps him around.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Pro-tip: If a Sailor is even rope and choked and he does not either A) have the physique of an amateur bodybuilder or B) measure over 6'0" (the height/weight chart doesn't scale well, should be adding at least 7 lbs per inch not 5), he almost certainly exceeds the bodyfat standards of the Navy and the aforementioned unscientific rope and choke is the only thing that keeps him around.

I get what your saying, and I agree, what always burned me is guys were given crap about needing to work out so they didn't have to be taped, but they rec'd no support.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm with you there. I had an XO run command PT once a week...why bother? You cannot get into shape and stay in shape without working out 4x+ a week, and for a nuke eng dept trying to getting through a maintenance availability while standing 3 section duty, PT becomes a low priority.

On the one hand, if PT is a requirement for service then it shouldn't be something we expect Sailors to do on their own time. On the other, command PT sessions are woefully inefficient.

exNavyOffRec

I'm with you there. I had an XO run command PT once a week...why bother? You cannot get into shape and stay in shape without working out 4x+ a week, and for a nuke eng dept trying to getting through a maintenance availability while standing 3 section duty, PT becomes a low priority.

On the one hand, if PT is a requirement for service then it shouldn't be something we expect Sailors to do on their own time. On the other, command PT sessions are woefully inefficient.

yep, and too many people think if you just exercise you will be fine, you need to have a lifestyle change which includes exercise and eating right.

Renegade One

None
I equate failing 3 PRTs with smoking weed in Colorado. No one had to raise their right hand, but when they did they knew what the terms of their agreements with the military were and in both cases fail to live up to them. ...
Again, you miss my point. I have no problem with military attrition based on PRT failures. NOT the issue. What I OBJECT to was the OP's (robav8r's) post which seemed to imply that military attrition for PRT fails would follow them for the rest of their civilian lives in terms of higher ACA costs.

OscarMyers

None

I agree with everything in this quote.

The PRT is a force shaping tool and an unequally applied one at that. Physical fitness will never take priority over Aircraft maintenance, Flying or what ever mission critical job you hold. And because its not required for said mission, commands are going to continue to set their Sailors up for failure until it eventually catches up to them at a command later down the road that does decide to enforce the standard.

TL,DR: If we are going to kick people out because of a standard, then we should afford Sailors an honest chance to maintain it.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I'm not quite sure what everyone is worked up about. One of the things that the ACA did was to prevent pre-existing conditions for effecting insurance premiums. Isn't this the same thing?