• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disassociated tour for aviators on aircraft carriers/gators

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
We had a couple in Ops - more island of misfit toys types than anything else. Still good at their job.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
FYI on an USN CVN the Reactor Officer is in charge of all engineering jobs that deal with the reactor, the CHENG is in charge of most other jobs that aren't associated with the reactor.

Thanks a lot. Does Reactor Officer not report to CHENG? In those our Kirov-class behemoths, all nukes are subordinated to CHENG, who is usually non-nuke engineer, most often a turbine guy or an electrical engineer by initial designator. BTW, on each Russian civilian nuclear icebreaker the Chief Engineer is a civilian nuke by trade, but never he is retired naval nuke officer. They don't trust the former naval personnel.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I honestly don't know their history - both resigned at the end of that tour (2nd division officer tour).

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
The ones that I dealt with were in jobs that fell under the CHENG, such as damage control.

So maybe you know when the damage control and fire protection on a USN carriers became the CHENG problems? I found out that during WWII it was the First Lieutenant who was in charge of damage control. Not sure about USS CV-8 Hornet, but USS CV-5 Yorktown was lost in action mostly due to, as I suppose, bad communications and misunderstanding between CHENG (simply ENG then), who held the rank LtCrd, and FL, who was full Cdr. Eventually a couple of circuit breakers were not restored in a main switchboard because no one of those officers could decide whose responsibility it was. All the fatal sequences - aside of Japanese bombs and torpedoes, of course - were started by these few breakers...

exNavyOffRec

Thanks a lot. Does Reactor Officer not report to CHENG? In those our Kirov-class behemoths, all nukes are subordinated to CHENG, who is usually non-nuke engineer, most often a turbine guy or an electrical engineer by initial designator. BTW, on each Russian civilian nuclear icebreaker the Chief Engineer is a civilian nuke by trade, but never he is retired naval nuke officer. They don't trust the former naval personnel.

2 different departments on a CVN, the CHENG is often now a SWO-EDO (engineering duty officer) or SWO(N)-EDO, the RO often arrives as a CDR and leaves as a CAPT, while the CHENG often arrives and leaves as a CDR, so by rank the RO is often higher but by position they are both Department Heads

azguy

None
CVN RO's are SWO's, I don't remember seeing a CHENG with dolphins and given the career path it would be doubtful one would.

Agreed. RO is a major milestone for a SWO Nuke; required for moving on to Major Command. I can't imagine they would give up one of those precious few billets to the submariners.

exNavyOffRec

Agreed. RO is a major milestone for a SWO Nuke; required for moving on to Major Command. I can't imagine they would give up one of those precious few billets to the submariners.

RO's have all been CO's of afloat ships before becoming an RO, often a DDG, had one that was a CG CO before, not sure how big a ship needs to be before being considered "major command" so insight would be appreciated.

azguy

None
RO's have all been CO's of afloat ships before becoming an RO, often a DDG, had one that was a CG CO before, not sure how big a ship needs to be before being considered "major command" so insight would be appreciated.

Major Command for a SWO is CG or DESRON for AEGIS guys; Big Deck Ampib (LHA/LHD) or PHIBRON for the amphib guys.

The post-CG CO you mention is weird but things like that happen. The standard progression is DDG/LCS CO -> RO -> Major Command, with a shore tour or two mixed in there.

ASR

Major Command for a SWO is CG or DESRON for AEGIS guys; Big Deck Ampib (LHA/LHD) or PHIBRON for the amphib guys.

The post-CG CO you mention is weird but things like that happen. The standard progression is DDG/LCS CO -> RO -> Major Command, with a shore tour or two mixed in there.
It's possible that they were a pre-VLS CG CO as well. The early-model Ticos became O5 commands towards the end. The last five CO's of Vincennes, for instance, were:

Maiorano, Alan G., CDR 03/21/97 - 10/23/98
Perez, Samuel, Jr., CDR 10/23/98 - 04/17/00
Shafer, Robert A., CDR 04/17/00 - 04/12/02
Lott, Steven A., CDR 04/12/02 - 02/04/04
Englebert, Mark J., CDR 02/04/04 - 07/01/05

exNavyOffRec

It's possible that they were a pre-VLS CG CO as well. The early-model Ticos became O5 commands towards the end. The last five CO's of Vincennes, for instance, were:

Maiorano, Alan G., CDR 03/21/97 - 10/23/98
Perez, Samuel, Jr., CDR 10/23/98 - 04/17/00
Shafer, Robert A., CDR 04/17/00 - 04/12/02
Lott, Steven A., CDR 04/12/02 - 02/04/04
Englebert, Mark J., CDR 02/04/04 - 07/01/05

could have been, I believe with one of them there were no RO spots open so bypassed it, and came to us as a Captain, his date of rank was before the CO.