• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disassociated Tour /Flying Time

Thanks for the clarification. So, generally, the three year shore is for the most part an instructor tour and therefore one has the opportunity to build up plenty of flight time?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the clarification. So, generally, the three year shore is for the most part an instructor tour and therefore one has the opportunity to build up plenty of flight time?

What you're probably starting to gather is that there will come a point in your career where you'll have to decide if your priority is racking up hours to go to the Show (or some other career Outside), or being a lifer for the Big Blue. Neither is wrong , but for the vast majority of dudes it's a one-or-the-other proposition.

Yes, Uncle Fester. I assume if one wants to go the airlines, for example, flying time and related assignments will take precedent. However, if one wants a star or command a carrier, being a well-rounded officer takes priority.

Of course, I presume the needs of the Navy comes first in all regards.

Speaking of airlines, do a significant portion of pilots leave after their 8 year commitment from wings (it still is 8 years, regardless of craft, correct?) to go fly for the major civilian carriers?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Speaking of airlines, do a significant portion of pilots leave after their 8 year commitment from wings (it still is 8 years, regardless of craft, correct?) to go fly for the major civilian carriers?

Yes, the commitment out the gate is still 8 years for pilots (6 years for NFOs). Right now we're seeing a lot of pilots (at least in my community) leave for the airlines based on a few factors; mainly the airlines are hiring well right now, and frustration with the way O-4 promotion boards have gone the last 3-4 years. I'm sure quality of life has "some" influence on the decision as well, since deployment time remains high in fleet tours and some shore tours (read: FRS) have turned into Sea Tour Lite.

browntown

Bumping this thread for a quick question.

Since the initial service commitment for NFOs is 6 years after winging and the first sea and shore tour are typically 3 years each, do NFOs generally not end up doing a disassociated tour if they get out of the Navy at that point?

Disclaimer: I’m not preemptively planning on “dodging” a disassociated tour (if I’m fortunate enough to be selected and dedicated enough to make it through training). :) I was just curious after reading a bit about typical career progressions.

Last edited:

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Still a college student and should be focusing on that
But as a wannabe aviator it is my dream to work with other nations, is that competitive to work with the Brits, or Italians or you don't get to choose?