• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disability benefits and criteria

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ditto. What are we talking here. I have to express my ignorance of VA disability benefits. 17 years of service, and I have had my baseline reset twice, in addition to tinnitus (sp?). I am coming up on retirement, and I guess I should be smarter in my knowledges on this... but I am not...

The best advice I can give you is when you are coming up on retirement start thinking of all the things that have happened to you medically over your career. Even minor stuff, start listing it somewhere. And if it happened when you were 'off duty', still put it in (rugby injury on a weekend, put it in!). When you get to your seperation/retirement physical don't hold anything back, mention everything! Also, make several copies of your medical records so that when they get lost, you aren't screwed.

When it finally comes time for you to actually seperate (And you have completed your seperation physical), contact some of your local veteran service organizations and see what kind of help they provide filling out the disability form. Here in DC the DAV helps with most of the cases. The service organizations have people trained specifically to help you fill out the forms (they don't do it for you but are a huge help). They even review your medical records and point out things you might want to put in for. You can do this while you are still on active duty, about to seperate/retire. There is also a pilot program called Benefits Delivery at Discharge (self-explanatory), which is only in certain areas. Ask you local military hospital if they have that program.

After you submit the claim the VA will then examine you for everything you put in a claim for (I was examined by a contract docs). After the exams they come back with a determination of disability, which you can appeal if you want.

That is about it. If anyone wants more details then please ask.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
+1 Copies....and more copies. My claim took almost a year, even touhgh I had copies, because Naval Hospital lost my records.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Used to be your VA was deducted from your retirement (assuming you retired) on a dollar for dollar basis. Now...once you reach 60% (or above) the offset is figured differently.

I think it is going to be 50% or above for concurrent reciept, once it finally gets down to that level in 2014.

The exception being combat related disability, as you pointed out already.

MrSaturn

Contributor
The gouge I was hearing was to get every problem looked out when you get out. Even if its 0% disability, get 0% documented. it could get worse as you get older and then increase to the new condition ie: broken hand heals 0% disability but 2 years after you retire you lose mobility and they upgrade it to 10%. If its not on the records then its quite a bit tougher.