• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disability benefits and criteria

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Veterans eligible as 30% Disabled Veterans.
30% is easy...a little hearing lose here...a little hemorrhoid there...throw in a touch of arthritis in a knee....and bingo - 30% VA disability that really doesn't effect your flying and you get a tax free check, no VA funding fee, vocrehab training benefits, hiring preference, etc.

It's the system - live it, love it, use it.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
30% is easy...a little hearing lose here...a little hemorrhoid there...throw in a touch of arthritis in a knee....and bingo - 30% VA disability that really doesn't effect your flying and you get a tax free check, no VA funding fee, vocrehab training benefits, hiring preference, etc.

Maybe I can scam Medicaid for Percocet too! Sign me up for easystreet!

SlickAg

pilot

Do most aviators who get out after their commitment with some type of hearing loss, back pain, etc end up with VA disability?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Do most aviators who get out after their commitment with some type of hearing loss, back pain, etc end up with VA disability?
Anyone who separates with a hearing level below their initial baseline, or any other medical condition they were diagnosed with while on active duty, or diagnosed with after separation that can be shown to be caused or aggravated by service is entitled to VA disability.

Some people think its wrong or cheap to file a claim, but your local VA Rep will be the first, loudest, and most credible person to tell you that you SHOULD do it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
High-frequency hearing loss, almost a certainty after 20 years, will get you about 10%, from what I've been told.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Anyone who separates with a hearing level below their initial baseline, or any other medical condition they were diagnosed with while on active duty, or diagnosed with after separation that can be shown to be caused or aggravated by service is entitled to VA disability.

Some people think its wrong or cheap to file a claim, but your local VA Rep will be the first, loudest, and most credible person to tell you that you SHOULD do it.
What he said. They actually had VA, VFW and VVA (Viet Nam Veterans of America) reps at our TAP class when I retired. They went over our medical records and filed the claims for us.

VA does funny math too.
10% hearing lose
10% hemorrhoids
20% arthritis
10% tinnitus
= 30% disability rating

Now if they would get rid of the VA disability offset by changing concurrent receipt to cover all disability ratings whether combat related or not, it would be even sweater. There are many in Congress working this thanks to MOAA.

phrogpilot73

Don't know how true it is (because I never did a VA physical when getting out, to keep my options open), but I was told when I was getting out (by a squadron FS and my Battalion Surgeon) that aviators can no longer get disability based on hearing loss. The reason they gave me is because there is an established hearing conservation program. They did mention that tinnitus was still eligible for disability...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

HUH? WHAT? SPEAK UP, BRO...

I don't know about "most," but I been watching my hearing levels drop precipitously every flight physical, and the docs have told me it's pretty common with prop and helo guys. Whether it's worth jumping through the hoops with the VA is another question.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I might be good here, or bad, depending on you look at it. Hearing loss...flying a COD for over 8 years will do that to you. Two blown out discs, documented via MRI.....at least two times. A little VA % might be in my future.

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
I might be good here, or bad, depending on you look at it. Hearing loss...flying a COD for over 8 years will do that to you. Two blown out discs, documented via MRI.....at least two times. A little VA % might be in my future.
There's no "might" about it. There is no requirement to attribute the degradation in your health as being due to service. The mere fact that it happened while you were wearing the uniform entitles you to VA disability.

To further illustrate: the loss of range of motion in my right elbow as the result of a motorcycle accident will entitle me to VA disability upon separation (as briefed during MTAP). As long as any injuries, health conditions occured while in the line of duty and are not the result of gross negligence on your part you are entitled to VA disability.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't know how true it is (because I never did a VA physical when getting out, to keep my options open), but I was told when I was getting out (by a squadron FS and my Battalion Surgeon) that aviators can no longer get disability based on hearing loss. The reason they gave me is because there is an established hearing conservation program. They did mention that tinnitus was still eligible for disability...

There's an established program to wear helmets, too, but a shock-induced brain injury will get you disability.

If I adhere to the hearing conservation program, which I do, and still get hearing loss (documented on several flight physicals), it's BS if they don't pay out. Helmets and foamies just won't cut it over the course of a 20-year career. This is especially true since the gun club won't buy everyone either the in-ear ICS with hearing protection or an active noise-suppression system.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
There's no "might" about it. There is no requirement to attribute the degradation in your health as being due to service. The mere fact that it happened while you were wearing the uniform entitles you to VA disability.

To further illustrate: the loss of range of motion in my right elbow as the result of a motorcycle accident will entitle me to VA disability upon separation (as briefed during MTAP). As long as any injuries, health conditions occured while in the line of duty and are not the result of gross negligence on your part you are entitled to VA disability.

The original injury to my back, documented, took place during the PRT. The Navy has minorly attempted to help me but have denied a few things I've requested for help. So I live with pain every day of my life. Flying probably doesn't help much but thats my job.

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
The original injury to my back, documented, took place during the PRT. The Navy has minorly attempted to help me but have denied a few things I've requested for help. So I live with pain every day of my life. Flying probably doesn't help much but thats my job.
Your local MMSO (Military Medical Support Office) will assign a case manager to work the ins and outs of TriCare and get you civilian medical care to get things straight if Navy MTFs aren't cutting it.

Helped me a lot.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I call BS on that one. The Flight Surgeons are not the VA and I am pretty sure if you have a significant hearing loss, then you might get some disability. I was tested when I got out and even though I had hearing loss, it was not very significant and apparently 'average' for my age. Even though I did not get disability for that, it is still documented if you need to deal with the VA later on.

I cannot emphasize this enough, PUT IN FOR VA BENEFITS WHEN YOU LEAVE THE MILITARY!!!! It is your right and you will might be shocked at what they sometimes consider for disability. The repeated advice I got was that it as easier to do within one year of separation/retirement. I went to the DAV in DC and they were of great help.