• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Director Tony Scott Has Lost That Loving Feeling

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Latest update according to the live news is that he was suffering from an inoperable terminal brain tumor.

Man, that has got to have been ROUGH. He's a special guy for having inspired a whole generation of Naval Aviators (or at least exposing them to that world).

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
That's the title you chose?

Lack of judgement on my part. Wish I could change it, but it won't let me. Mods feel free to change it or (leave it as an example of what not to use a title if it can't). I regret choosing that in hindsight. Especially with the news of the backstory behind it all. When I 1st heard the news, I didn't know it was him... just that another "moron" jumped off the bridge and tied up traffic (something I'm sure that the Coronado Bay bridge travelers from North Island and the Golden Gate Bridge are familiar with every so often), so it was more in response to that. I apologize.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
All that aside, it's a shame to see him go. Whether you admit it or not, Top Gun did inspire a lot of people to join Naval Aviation or at least got them interested. In all its campiness and lack of realism, it's still an entertaining movie to watch and has an endless amount of one liners. Still today when I tell people I'm a Navy pilot, their first instinct is to say Top Gun (yes, being a P-3 pilot is exactly like Top Gun). Not only that, he made my favorite movie ever, one Days of Thunder. RIP Mr. Scott.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Lack of judgement on my part. Wish I could change it, but it won't let me. Mods feel free to change it or (leave it as an example of what not to use a title if it can't). I regret choosing that in hindsight. Especially with the news of the backstory behind it all. When I 1st heard the news, I didn't know it was him... just that another "moron" jumped off the bridge and tied up traffic (something I'm sure that the Coronado Bay bridge travelers from North Island and the Golden Gate Bridge are familiar with every so often), so it was more in response to that. I apologize.

I thought it was funny. Lighten up.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
In all its campiness and lack of realism, it's still an entertaining movie to watch and has an endless amount of one liners.

Actually, I'm surprised by how realistic the movie was in some respects. For starters, obviously having real footage of fighters rather than tons of CGI is awesome. But even in some other areas. One example is that training rules make for a somewhat important plot point with the whole hard deck incident. And I find it kind of cool that the movie incorporates that and doesn't even try to explain it to the audience with some cheesy and unrealistic dialogue about what a hard deck is. And overall, I think the flight footage does a good job of capturing BFM, even if the tactics are somewhat suspect and some of the engagements are a bit on the close side.

Also, I frequently see patch wearers playing games of volleyball that consist mostly of flexing and high fives, wearing nothing but jean shorts and dog tags.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
F it, I changed it back. Just because.

Does that mean I get a pass this one time for my "judgement"? :)
Latest update according to the live news is that he was suffering from an inoperable terminal brain tumor.

Man, that has got to have been ROUGH. He's a special guy for having inspired a whole generation of Naval Aviators (or at least exposing them to that world).

This turned out to be more media B.S., which makes me very angry and want to lean towards standing by my original title. He had young twin sons and now he's intentionally left them fatherless just because he couldn't deal with life when there are plenty of kids of fallen veterans who's dads did their utmost to come back and they couldn't because of circumstances beyond their control. When you start having kids, you don't exist just for yourself anymore, you owe it to them to stay alive... esepically when they are young. He failed at his most important job: being there for them.