• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Direct Commission Pilot Waiver Question

Gabriel

First off, hello everyone, my name is Gabriel. I am 27 and will be 28 in june 2008. I've been told by the navy and usaf that I'm too old to enter the pilot pipe line. I'm more interested in the navy. Through my research and even by reading some of the threads on here I figure that there's a waiver for anything, even if I have no prior military time. I've got a few tricks up my sleave. I'm going to write my congressmen and tell him about my ordeal. It's a long shot but I'm determined - I must achieve this goal. I will not except defeat. Can someone please point me in the right direction. I will try anything. I am determined to become a naval aviator. I'm quite sure I'll smoke the meps thing. I can do way more push ups/ setups etc. than what they require. Show me the path to the waivers and in return I will post my findings and progress for us all to learn from.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
:football_I may not be the most qualified to answer this, but I will take a stab at it anyway. The max age limit for non-prior servicemembers is 27 years old by the time of commissioning (Pilot). The max age is 30 for NFO. These are non-waiverable if you have not had prior military service. You can still take the NFO route assuming you get all your ducks in a row and get your package going.

Now that being said, if your goal is to become an Officer, there are many other avenues to pursue as well, but since you want to fly, I am just focusing on the Pilot/NFO option. There are many people on here who can help you get rolling. The NFO option is a good route to go as well, and there are many NFOs on these boards to get information from.

MEPS is not even the biggest of your worries. You have OCS to contend with, ASTB scores, academics, and way more stringent med checks once you get "in the door".

I suggest - 1) Search the forums and gain knowledge about the area(s) you can qualify for, SNA/Pilot not being one of them..and NFO is not a "step down"..its Gold Wings, that's what matters right? 2) Search government websites (Navy website, CNET, etc) learn what's going on out there and 3) Contact your local OFFICER recruiter..I stress OFFICER because he/she/they will be the one's who give you the proper gouge on getting you where you want to go.

Good luck bro- keep up the PT..but that is not what your success in being selected as a Naval Aviator is based off of. You'll find out more once you start getting information.

Like I said, I am a nobody at the moment- I am just speaking from what I have learned myself. Good luck again.

BOOMER SOONER ! :football_

Ryan- OUT

penderwt

yut king
Try Marine Corps. We're hurting in the recruiting numbers, which means you might have a better shot at a waiver. Of course, that means you have to go through Marine Corps OCS and TBS. Not that it's any harder than Navy OCS...

Tom

pilot
Contributor
DCO's are not unrestricted line officers (which pilots are). They are generally restricted to people with a wealth of education and a specialization in a certain area. Examples are Docs, Lawyers, etc. The only way a civilian with no prior experience could get back in the Navy is through OCS. With all the time and work it takes to apply, get accepted, get a class date and commission I do not think the circumstances will work out for you to make it. Sorry, but I wanted you to know the reality of the situation.

Jeff29

Science Project
First off, hello everyone, my name is Gabriel. I am 27 and will be 28 in june 2008. I've been told by the navy and usaf that I'm too old to enter the pilot pipe line. I'm more interested in the navy. Through my research and even by reading some of the threads on here I figure that there's a waiver for anything, even if I have no prior military time. I've got a few tricks up my sleave. I'm going to write my congressmen and tell him about my ordeal. It's a long shot but I'm determined - I must achieve this goal. I will not except defeat. Can someone please point me in the right direction. I will try anything. I am determined to become a naval aviator. I'm quite sure I'll smoke the meps thing. I can do way more push ups/ setups etc. than what they require. Show me the path to the waivers and in return I will post my findings and progress for us all to learn from.
Wink, is that you trying to get me to take the bait? :D