• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dining out MR Vice

Renegade One

None
"Mr. Vice" is a great gig and a nice opportunity to stand out a bit.

Do remember that an "Out" is not an "In". My (hard-learned) experience having been to many of both is that while BOTH should be fun and memorable, the fun and memories that are appropriate for each are probably not quite the same. Usually, for a Dining Out, the ladies will go to no small effort to dress up, etc., and nothing spells disaster like a big glass of red wine splattered over the new dress by "incoming rolls". So, some well-thought out and understood ROE that are specific to the occasion are advised. Consider, as well, whether or not "non-command" guests of honor will be in attendance (your Skipper's boss, Wing Commander, whatever) and be sensisitve to helping the CO show of his/her command in a "good light". I think the desired outcome is for all to have a GREAT time, and for everyone to think "best ever...can't wait to do that again next year", rather than "never again...a bunch of animals...". You get the idea.
You're already getting a lot of good ideas from others...don't try to incorporate everything...no dinner should last until midnight just to fit in every cool thing you can think of.
Do good!

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
If someone wants to go use the bathroom make them recite a limerick in order to ask permission. If its not funny say no. But respond with a limerick of your own that is far wittier that theirs.

MH-Z

pilot
If you end up parading the actual plate of beef, make it hard for it to be declared fit for human consumption. Lots of hot sauce, and maybe some straight minced habanero or red savinas.

And having the whole mess night routine at a dining out, I'm not a fan, but hey, I'm not exactly a CO. Having wives there is dynamite waiting to go off.

Hmmm... good point. Forgot this was a dining out vs. dining in.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmmm... good point. Forgot this was a dining out vs. dining in.

Yeah, after a mini-disaster of a dining out we had in my squadron the next 3 or 4 were dining in's. Much more fun and much looser, even with AIRPAC in attendance ;).

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Went to a great dining out a few months ago with Mr. Vice and the works. It was wonderful. Basic ROE was printed in the program and between Mr. Vice and Mr. President they kept it fun and "between the lines." Since the rules for toasting, fines, and going to the head were in the program the spouses were able to pick it up quickly and join in on the fun.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is be sure and talk with the wait staff and kitchen staff of the location you're holding the event. They can be great enablers and participants for the parading of the beef, the pizza delivery gag, and other items. And when they're having fun they will do a better job of supporting your event.

Finally--to follow up on comments from Renegade One, you'll gain much more respect and fame up and down the flight line for having a classy dining out than for an event where the cops or security have to show up.