• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dilemma

acwildcat

pilot
So I have a dilemma. Since I was a kid I have wanted to be a Pilot. Now I am a Sophomore in College and I am applying for a couple different programs so I can make that happen. The one I really want is BDCP however I am a Business Major with only a 3.3 GPA and a 6,7,8,55 ASTB score so I'm not super confident about getting in. The second option is the PLC program through the Marine Corps. I have basically been accepted into that program as an Aviation Option. I had been hoping that I would know about BDCP before I had to make a decision about PLC but due to some paperwork problems I will not be going up for the Boards until later this month or in March. Do you guys think I should wait and see how that turns out and pass up on PLC or should I just take the PLC route? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been losing sleep over this for months. Thanks!

Lobster

It comes down to what you want more, do you want to be an officer in the Navy or the Marines? Leave aviation out of it and decide on which branch you'd rather serve. Also I'm in the BDCP, was selected for SNA and I'm a Marketing & Management major with at 3.2. Not saying that we're in the same boat but they do look at the package as a whole not just your major and GPA. Best of luck.

acwildcat

pilot
It comes down to what you want more, do you want to be an officer in the Navy or the Marines? Leave aviation out of it and decide on which branch you'd rather serve. Also I'm in the BDCP, was selected for SNA and I'm a Marketing & Management major with at 3.2. Not saying that we're in the same boat but they do look at the package as a whole not just your major and GPA. Best of luck.

Did you get in on your first try?

acwildcat

pilot

I'm also not leaning towards one or the other. I want to fly and I've wanted to be in the military forever but I honestly don't have one that I want more overall

Lobster

Did you get in on your first try?

Yes and no, I was up for the July 08 boards and my package made it but it did not get looked at, I was pushed back to August and selected then. Again don't base your chances on what happend to me and what my major is I was just making the point that the major and GPA are not the only things the board looks at, my OR told me that he'd never seen a package with so much stuff in it as mine (LOR's, activities, athletics, etc...)

I'm also not leaning towards one or the other. I want to fly and I've wanted to be in the military forever but I honestly don't have one that I want more overall

You need to do research on both branches and then figure out which one you'd rather serve in, remember officer first, aviator second. If you were commissioned and then found out you'd never fly would you be happy serving in that branch? Do research on the web, try and talk to active duty guys, and retired guys to get a good idea of what each branch is like. There is plenty of brainpower to be gained on this site alone, search around, also there is plenty to be learned from those who have come before us on this site, they've all been there and done that. PM me if you have any more questions.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Do you want to be a Marine or do you want to serve in the Navy? Answer that question and you'll have your decision.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Do you want to be a Marine or do you want to serve in the Navy? Answer that question and you'll have your decision.

Do you want to be the Marine guy slapping Navy guys on the ass at the P-cola O'Club or the Navy guy wondering why the hell the Marine guy is touching his ass.......

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Also the PLC thing isnt just going to disapear this year. You can do it next year as a junior or just OCC as a senior. I understand the whole you want to be invovled, I have been there since freshman year too. decied what you want more, you can apply to both more than once. My best advice being basically in your same shoes is, take the blueangles dvd out of the player, dont live on AW and go party/ study college shiat/hangout with your friends; cause you wont be doing that when your going to bed at 2000 and waking up at 0530, while drinking information through a fire hose. The fastest any of my time hurrying up to wait, has been doing that. When my board was around and now that it is again, can't help but dwel on it; but its like hitting slow.

NavyVol

The real question is do u want to go to 6 months of TBS before flight school... navy better skip that infantry first crap :)

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I got accepted with a 3.10 in Aviation Management... ASTB was 7/7/7 60 (if I remember correctly).

I don't think it was the fact that I was a stellar student that got me in... I had a lot of other stuff going on...

Had just earned my private pilot license.

Had a leadership role in several clubs/organizations: VP of Naval Aviation club, President of collegiate skydiving club/team, Orientation team senior leader, etc...

Bottom line, if you suck at college, get involved in other stuff. I think you've got a 100% of making it so long as you don't take no for an answer.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Oh yeah, and people only use the Marines for a last ditch effort... In other words, don't go that route unless you have no other options... Then it's OK to settle for being in the MARINES (like I said, if you absolutely HAVE TO).