• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DIFFICULT CHOICES IN WAYS TO REACHING LIFETIME GOAL, PLEASE HELP!

Flyboy12345

I stuck with a difficult choice that I need to make. I am 8 Months away from my end of obligated service and from deciding to re-enlist in the Navy or get out. My overall goal is to become a Military pilot. My choices are to either stay in the Navy and apply for Officer Candidate School to become a pilot while on shore duty. The issue is that I am 26 Years old and I’ve still got 1.5-2 Years left to finish my degree in Mechanical Engineering which requires in person attendance and with my job being a sea going rate more than likely they’ll send me underway and I’ll loose more time which the Max Age is not Beyond 32 for Naval Aviator. The other choice is to get off of Active Duty finish my degree as a civilian or reservist and apply for Naval Officer Candidate School, Air Force Officer Training School, Marine Corps Officer Candidate School and / or Army Officer Candidate School and Warrant Officer Candidate School all for pilot. What option is the least risky of both and/or most likely to accomplish my goals? What would y’all suggest?

TyKing

pilot
I stuck with a difficult choice that I need to make. I am 8 Months away from my end of obligated service and from deciding to re-enlist in the Navy or get out. My overall goal is to become a Military pilot. My choices are to either stay in the Navy and apply for Officer Candidate School to become a pilot while on shore duty. The issue is that I am 26 Years old and I’ve still got 1.5-2 Years left to finish my degree in Mechanical Engineering which requires in person attendance and with my job being a sea going rate more than likely they’ll send me underway and I’ll loose more time which the Max Age is not Beyond 32 for Naval Aviator. The other choice is to get off of Active Duty finish my degree as a civilian or reservist and apply for Naval Officer Candidate School, Air Force Officer Training School, Marine Corps Officer Candidate School and / or Army Officer Candidate School and Warrant Officer Candidate School all for pilot. What option is the least risky of both and/or most likely to accomplish my goals? What would y’all suggest?
I would recommend getting off active duty and going to school full time to finish your degree and apply as soon as possible, as long as you have no large financial or other responsibilities to worry about. You could stay on active duty; however that tends to be the path with the most resistance, since you have to got through your chain of command to apply for OCS. Either way set your goal and exhaust all routes and possibilities.

exNavyOffRec

How are you doing in school? Have you taken the ASTB yet to see how you will score?

The fastest way would be to get out and get it done, and I would remain a reservist to ensure any pre-existing conditions are not going to get counted against you.

AF OTS gets few pilot spots and USMC weight PFT very heavy so you need to keep that in mind.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In your case, I’d recommend the Army WOFT program. Far faster path to a cockpit can finish you degree after you are winged. More flight time, some fantastic global options (and some pretty terrible ones as well!) and a genuine flying career (assuming that is what you are after. My entirely unscientific view is that the AF and Navy are the least “appreciative” of mustangs while the Marines are OK with it and the Army doesn’t even notice in the WO ranks.