• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different Jobs with different gateways to becoming a pilot?

Avaition Hungry

Hello everyone. I am joining the Air Force Reserve in CA. I looked through all the different Forum topics, and this seemed like the proper place to post this question.

As of right now, my job that I will be signing for is "Tactical Aircraft Maintenance", where I will be working on the "RQ 4 Global Hawks".

I am currently going to school, majoring in mathematics, and I scored a 90 on my ASVAB, allowing me to pick any job I wish. My question is; After I graduate and apply for an Officer with a pilot slot, do certain jobs present oneself better qualified, or is it more dependent on the overall package, ie grades, volunteer work, ect?

If certain jobs do present a better opportunity, what would those jobs be? Would Crew Cheif be one?

I really appreciate any help and advice given.

Thanks,

Mangzane

jtmedli

pilot
I can't tell you anything about 'certain MOSs (jobs)' having any relativity on selection, but really no one can. The blanket answer is that being prior enlisted w/a clean record and a good GPA from college will do nothing but help you. Being a prior-E with a captain's mast or two on your record with a 2.5 college GPA will probably hurt you.

It's definitely a 'whole person concept' when it comes to being selected. For example, a 4.0 GPA doesnt mean much if you haven't done anything in your life and never worked a job or have a DUI on your record. On the contrary, a 2.9 GPA (my college GPA) in EE looks a lot better when you worked 2-3 jobs at a time and have good LORs (military and civilian) along with other things.

It's definitely all relative and being selected is more based on making yourself look like someone they would want overall. So keep that in mind.

MonkUSMC

Playing the waiting game
How much longer do you have in college? And is there an USAF ROTC there as well? If so then I would highly advise you joining their ROTC throughout the time in school. You still have to try hard and get good grades, but after 4 years of ROTC you will be pinned a 2nd Lt, without having to even attend OCS, and it is much easier to get into ROTC then USAF OCS.

Getting selected for a pilot in the USAF is obviously very competitive, I believe they have 500 slots a year. Just work on getting the best possible package together and study hard for their aviation test (forgot the name of it).

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Monk is spot on here. . .while I was in the Army reserve, they offered a program called the Simultaneous Membership Program (click the link for more info). I felt like a dumbass for not doing it while I was in. . .but had I done that, I wouldn't be an Ensign now. :)

Anyway, the program allows you to be a drilling reservist, and a member of your local ROTC battalion. I'm not sure if the AF offers the same sort of program, but it can't hurt to look in to it.

jtmedli

pilot
How much longer do you have in college? And is there an USAF ROTC there as well? If so then I would highly advise you joining their ROTC throughout the time in school. You still have to try hard and get good grades, but after 4 years of ROTC you will be pinned a 2nd Lt, without having to even attend OCS, and it is much easier to get into ROTC then USAF OCS.

Getting selected for a pilot in the USAF is obviously very competitive, I believe they have 500 slots a year. Just work on getting the best possible package together and study hard for their aviation test (forgot the name of it).

It's the AFOQT. AF OTS is pretty competitive.

exNavyOffRec

It isn't as competitive as I thought, a person I worked with on putting a USN pilot application together that had a non tech degree and 3.1 GPA with marginal ASTB scores, but better AFOQT scores was picked up as an USAF Pilot.

Avaition Hungry

Thank you to everyone for your responses. Means a lot to me.

To answer some of the questions:

I have 2 and a 1/2 years left of college at UC Davis, and yes there is AF ROTC at a cross school ( sacramteno state ). My understanding is that there is a 4 year program ( http://www.det88.com/content/what-rotc ). Although I believe there used to be, or maybe there still is, a 3 and a 2 year program. I will be contacting the Det. this coming week to ask more questions.

I had actually thought about ROTC before, however when I spoke with them last, they currently were not offereing scholarships to students who transfer from a JC, only to incoming highschool students. So I believe that I would be in without a scholarship, but I don't know if tht means I still get to sign a contract?

Man o' man. I am supposed to sign this Monday. But boy am I stressed right now. I really, just want to make the best decision.

Enlisting in the reserve would aslo send me away for 8months of BMT + Tech school training, which is two semesters of school.

Anyway, thank you again for your responses. Any other tips or advice is welcomed.

Thanks,

Mangzane.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
I would stay in school, but that is just due to my own personal experience. You'll have many oportunities to apply for programs if you knock that out first. Again, just my thoughts

jtmedli

pilot
Thank you to everyone for your responses. Means a lot to me.

To answer some of the questions:

I have 2 and a 1/2 years left of college at UC Davis, and yes there is AF ROTC at a cross school ( sacramteno state ). My understanding is that there is a 4 year program ( http://www.det88.com/content/what-rotc ). Although I believe there used to be, or maybe there still is, a 3 and a 2 year program. I will be contacting the Det. this coming week to ask more questions.

If you want to be an officer, the enlisting in the reserves will do little to nothing outside of make that process take longer.

djj34

pilot
I will echo what most have said here. Stay in school and go for ROTC if possible. Det 88 is actually a pretty good unit (used to be in it myself before switching to PLC with the Sacramento Marine OSO) and have had several friends make it through that program without a scholarship to begin with. If you want to be an Air Force pilot, don't enlist.

MonkUSMC

Playing the waiting game
Something to add that I have missed in my previous post. Along with everyone else saying don't bother enlisting if your goal is to be a USAF officer and a pilot, I will use myself as an example on why.

Back in highschool, my friend and I both wanted to be Marine officers. We graduated at the same time, he went to college, and I went into the reserves. Right now he's been a 2nd Lt for almost a year, and I am on my 2nd semester of college. Going into the reserves essentially just put my education on hold for 3 years when those could have been used to knock out school.

Drill weekends, AT's and deployments are another thing. Drill weekends aren't too bad if your unit isn't too far away from your dorm or where ever, but if they are farther away, it might cut into a few class's here and there. AT's are those mandatory 2 weeks out of the year you need to do, they can be done during the summer but most of the time they schedule them during a semester. Deployments really cut into schooling, for us it's 13 months of active time for workups and post deployment stuff, so that alone will be 2-3 semesters right there.

I am not saying going enlisted was a bad thing at all. I have had a lot of great experiences in it (and still do), but if the ultimate goal is to be an officer, then just become an officer.

Avaition Hungry

Awesome community here.

Thank you everyone for the much appreciated advice.

Today I told explained to my recruiter how I felt about ROTC vs Enlisting in the reserve, and although obviously frustrated, he understood it was my decision to make.

There are three USAF ROTC "Host" schools near me, with multiple "cross" schools. I was in contact with all the Recruiting Officers today, and it looks like I will be joining a nearby ROTC unit next fall.

Thank you again gentlemen,

Mangzane

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
The only time I recommend enlisting is if you want to join your local Guard unit. By enlisting right out of high school they are covering your state college costs and you have a chance to shine with the locals where you will be applying as a pilot in a few years. Other than that one example start as an officer all the way.