• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different ASTB Versions

lhill6139

Just took the ASTB (Form 5) yesterday and got a 6/7/7 55. Going up for SNA. This will be my one and only board, so I'm considering retaking the test to improve my chances. I pretty much bombed the reading section.

My question is addressed to those that have taken the ASTB more than once. How different were the versions? Was one version considerably tougher than another? How much overlap?

Competitive enough scores? Worth risking a retake?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Rev

pilot
With regards to how competitive your score is, check the other scores for whichever month it is you're applying for. If you think you can improve and you're only going up for one board then I don't see why you shouldn't give it another shot. I applied with similar scores (6/6/6 55) back in November and was a non-select.

Out of curiosity why are you only applying once? The reason I ask is if its due to an age issue then maybe retaking isn't as viable an option.

lhill6139

Age (turning 26 in a couple of weeks). I'll be able to retake the ASTB one more time before I submit my package on Feb 20th. Going up for the first Fiscal Year 11 board. What other stats did you have as a Nov non-select Ben?

Scruff

None
Contributor
How many times have you taken it and what versions have you taken. Time may be the limiting factor for you.

lhill6139

Took version 5 on Jan 11th for the 1st time. I'll prob retake it on Feb 11th. I've got to submit my package by the 20th of Feb. Time's not the prob. Gambling on a possible tougher version of the test and getting lower scores than my 6/7/7 55 is the issue.

TopShot

BDCP SNA
If the rest of your package is strong I wouldn't worry about a retake. I got picked up my first try with those same exact scores.

nugget61

pilot
x2 on the don't retake it. Yet.

Apply ASAP with what you have (which isn't bad, btw). If you're a non-select, you can retake it the next day and assuming you improve it, can reapply to the boards for the following month. However, if you retake it first and then get a non-select then you have to wait 6 months to reapply (where time will be a much larger factor).
Unless they're canceling boards and you don't want to risk using a score lower than you know you can do, do NOT retake it before you apply with what you have. You're limited to two retakes total.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I agree with nugget, apply with those scores, they aren't bad at all. I took the ASTB twice and the test was very similar I thought, btw.

lhill6139

Based on my conversations with my recruiter, I won't have enough time to reapply after a March or April board. That's why I am tempted to improve my scores. Only got one shot to apply.

Anybody out there think I have enough time to go up for a following board if my 27th bday is Jan 25th, 2011? What's the official rule? Complete OCS by your 27th bday or get a final select by your 27th bday? Clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

m26

Contributor
I have read about a million times that you must commission by your 27th birthday. It's not an issue for me, though, so I've never really tracked it down.

nugget61

pilot
Based on my conversations with my recruiter, I won't have enough time to reapply after a March or April board. That's why I am tempted to improve my scores. Only got one shot to apply.

Assuming they don't cancel/postpone boards then you have plenty of time (assuming you retake and do better).

Anybody out there think I have enough time to go up for a following board if my 27th bday is Jan 25th, 2011? What's the official rule? Complete OCS by your 27th bday or get a final select by your 27th bday? Clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

I could see a timeline like this: Pro-rec July, FS Letter early Sept, Start OCS early Oct2010, Commission mid Jan2011. Very little wiggle room, however.
So apply soon and get in now. Or if not then retake and reapply the next month. Its very little work for the OR to change your scores and resubmit for the next month.

The only thing I'd be really concerned with is the rumors floating around now about boards being postponed/OCS dates being pushed back. That could create a backlog for you, that unless you can jump the line to get in before you're too old could get you.