• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Difference between 2-year and 4-year NROTC?

alpha blue

What's the difference between joining in on the program for two or for four years? Do you have to cram in the same training in half the time? Do you graduate with a lower rank?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
What's the difference between joining in on the program for two or for four years? Do you have to cram in the same training in half the time? Do you graduate with a lower rank?

The biggest differnce is $$$$. A 4 year will get you 4 years of college paid for. The two year is set up for those that did not get a scholarship right away but still participate in NROTC in the hopes of gaining the scholarship. That being said, there are those that join NROTC with only 2 yrs left before graduation. At least at my unit, those individuals just had to double up on the Naval Science classes in order to finish them all in time to graduate. Hope this helps.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Those with the 2yr scholarship also miss out on 2 out of the 3 summer cruises.

SlickAg

pilot
Is that a bad thing?

The "reward" for making it through your freshman year of NROTC, CORTRAMID, is awesome. Basically, if you go West Coast, it's a month-long paid vacation in San Diego. Second-class cruise can be awesome if you get a sweet location.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Is that a bad thing?

Like Greg said, some can be good, some can be bad.

My 3 cruises...
Cortramid West- 4 weeks in San Diego = Good
2/c Sub Cruise westpac- 3 days underway, 10 days in Port = Good.
1/c Cruise Aviation Underway/in port in Norfolk- USS Reagan = Bad

There were definately people out there with far better cruises then I got (Med cruise, FOREX etc)

The big thing that cruises are supposed to expose MIDN to the different types of communities, even if it is just for a short time so they can make a more informed service selection decision and to a lesser extent see how the other sides live. More cruises = more material for decision making, and a nice vacation if you get a good deal.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Is that a bad thing?

3/c Cruise: CORTRAMID San Diego--->ridiculously fun
2/c Cruise: West Coast SSN--> 28 days underway (not fun), but my first trip to Hawaii
1/c Cruise: FOREX with Japan-->awesome experience

chiphowell220

I did the 2yr scholarship program at GWU, because I transferred from a school that didn't have NROTC. They (CNET) will send you to Newport, RI for 7 weeks to catch up on the material. Unless it's a CO's scholarship from your particular unit, then you will have to cram classes. You will take Intro to Naval Science, Seapower, Weapons, and Engineering. You will also do lots of drill and PT. On the other hand, you will also have a ton of fun. Newport is a great town and the people LOVE Navy guys. You won't pay for a drink at any bar. Other than that, you come out just the same as you would if you did four years. Hope this helps.

todd740

Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIGHT!!!
pilot
My cruises:

3/C - Cortramid west - 4 weeks vacation in San Diego
2/C - Surface cruise, 3 days liberty in hawaii, 7 days underway, 15 days liberty in San Diego - great
1/C - Aviation Cruise - 4 weeks vacation in Oceana, couldn't fly because I didnt have my physiology done, so I improved my golf game.

All and all a great time, you wouldn't want to miss out on it.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
I'm going to go to a community college in order to save money also. Then i'm going to Georgia State and hopefully NROTC. Do I need to take calc 1 and calc based physics before I transfer or can I take that once I get into NROTC? I have thought about it and people say NROTC is the best option so i'm gonna stick with that right now.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is that a bad thing?

IMHO, my summer cruises have been the reward for dealing w/ all of the BS of NROTC.....2/c cruise was probably the experience that convinced me (in spite of any doubts I had) that this is what I want to be doing. Anyways, you be the judge:

2/c cruise---> 3+ weeks on the USS Kitty Hawk; underway for 2 weeks, from Sydney AUS to Guam....became a shellback, saw 2 awesome ports (well, maybe Sydney was a little cooler than Guam), got to experience Naval aviation first hand for the whole time and even did some flying. Awesome time

1/c cruise---> 4 weeks at NAS Lemoore......4 incredible weeks of flying in the F/A-18F and T-34C including 2.5 hrs of stick time (combined total) in both. Rode along on basically every type of mission that the Rhino flies....BFM, SRA, DCA, strike....bombed $hit....I even got to fly (at the controls) around 10 minutes of form w/ our lead jet on one flight. And when I wasn't flying I went to San Diego, San Francisco, and even Yosemete while being paid and "on cruise". And this is probably the only time (or place) where you will have an O-5 call you "bro" while holding the door for your drunk @ss after 3 rounds of drinks with an O-6 CAG on his bill :D

UHundergrad

Akdorsey.
I don't know what the Georgia policy is on military courses hindering college courses. I know that if you're at a community college, you should focus on getting your "core" classes completed. In Texas, if you transfer from one college to another, they can add on other courses if "their" core is not done yet. However, if you complete the cores of one university (or college), the university you are transferring to has to, under law, accredit you with those courses. I imagine it would be similar.