• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN DH bonus

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty sure he's talking about the bonus for one year, 30k. Picking up a few extra trips or six as a captain is definitely believable for a fairly senior widebody captain.

....my numbers were for one year, 32K. (30 (+2 for WTI)).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Help me out with that math: An extra six days a year gets you 32K? You're making 5K per day, 75K per month (at the 15 days/month quoted) and 900K per year?
If I pick up a premium time flight, I'm making double pay or $600/hour. As a widebody Captain, I typically fly 10 hours a leg so 3 extra flights (3 round trips or 6 legs = 6 days) is $36,000 for an average of 0.5 extra days per month. I currently average 15 working days per month so it would increase the average to 15.5 days.

If I picked up the extra flying at straight pay or $300/hour, it would be 6 trips / 12 legs / 12 days for an average of 1 extra per month. I'd then average 16 days of work each month.

Last edited:

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm just impressed that you're flying 150 hours a month right now.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I'm just impressed that you're flying 150 hours a month right now.
Don't confuse pay hours with block hours.. I'm on a trip right now that blocks 2:30 but pays 6 hours. At 289 an hour that's $1734 for one trip. I fly domestic so since all his is international the numbers are realistic!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Also don't confuse days working as flying every day. They include layovers which have duty rigs (adds to block or total pay).

There are also trips that block less time per day but if I'm going to work on my days off, I only take high block value trips.

There is also profit sharing. While my hourly pay is $300/hour, when I came up with the 10 hour a day average I just divided my total pay for the year by the number of days I worked. It includes everything I made except what went to my 401k and per diem.

And if you want to count what is put into my 401k each month (not included to my figures here), add another 15% to all the money.

Last edited:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
For illustrative purposes here is how annual pay is broken down at the majors. As HAL indicated, trip credit doesn't = hours flown. For example- my company has a training backup right now. I will be paid based on a minimum monthly garauntee of 75hrs. Even though I will fly zero hours this month I will credit 75 hours of pay.

IMG_2150.PNG

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
An even better deal is my trip tonight. 18:21 pay, 4:24 block time.. 66 hour layover in West Palm Beach

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
We have:
HNL-PEK that is 43 hours time away from base (initial report for duty in HNL to final off duty in HNL) that pays 21:15 block.
HNL-JFK that is 49 hours time away from base that pays 20:50 block.

I'm too junior to bid them but I do get them for premium time on my days off when the bid holder decides they're sick. Not bad for 2 days away from home. I have done 4 of these trips so far for premium time this year. For those that don't want to do the math, that's 8 extra days of work for $49,420.

I'll admit I've also taken some premium time trips that don't pay that much per day but 7.5 - 8 hours/day is my lower limit. We have plenty that pay in the 4-6 hours/day range. I typically fly at least 1 premium trip a month on my days off. Plus this has been the first year since becoming a widebody Captain that my seniority has been good enough to regularly get premium trips. In past years, it was hit or miss with only 2 or 3 in the year.

I will also concede as a widebody Captain flying international my paycheck is a significantly amount bigger than a domestic narrowbody Captain so this isn't doable right away. But our widebody FOs make 2/3 my pay so they can make big bucks for relatively small amounts of extra work too. At most majors, you can hold widebody FO in 2 or 3 years.

Here's the bottom of my July 7th pay statement just to show that I'm not bullshitting about how easy it is to increase your pay at The Show.

Pay.JPG

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I just realized that pay stub pic included about $100k in retro pay for our new contract. So subtract that from the YTD Gross. Still makes my point.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I just realized that pay stub pic included about $100k in retro pay for our new contract. So subtract that from the YTD Gross. Still makes my point.

That's a lot of taxes - hope you have a good accountant (that said, it's a nice problem to have...)