• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

designator question . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidrwmn

When I went down to the recruiters office to take the ASTB in Sept. ( I am retesting in a few weeks) they said that all the SWO spots were full. Now that it is Oct. does that mean that there will be open spots now?? Because isn't Oct. the beginning of the new year?
Also, they were really pushing aviation ( NFO and Pilot). While NFO would be my second choice, I REALLY want to go SWO! I know, needs of the Navy and all, but if they are still pushing aviation when I finish my app., should I be worried that I would be more likely to get NFO than SWO? Thanks!

- spider

Smokescreen

What you're saying is very interesting in the sence that back in Sept my recruiter was encouraging me to go SWO since that was all I qualified for. I've since retaken the ASTB and now qualified for both Pilot and NFO which is what I wanted, but the fact that my recruiter was encouraging SWO in Sept and yours wasn't and saying it's full suggests some discrepency. Might try going to a different Officer Recruiter and ask him about SWO and see what he says.

Dave Shutter

I might have some bad news for you. I talked with my Proc' today and I asked if he had heard anything about present and future SNA slots, his response was that Aviation has, and most likely, will remain wide open for some time and that the only community that's really manned up is SWO and he said they're actually closed out till 2003!

He works the OCS side of the fence though, but I believe there are additional quotas available for both ROTC and the Academy (they do take a certain # from each don't they???) Grain of salt, but so far my Proc's gouge has been right about 90% of the time.

Dave

spidrwmn

Dave,

Well, I do not graduate college until spring 2003, although I am hoping to get into BDCP. Do you think that that will have any effect on it? Because aren't I, in essance, reserving a later spot if I do BDCP? If not, what should I do?
The reason I am asking is because I have not been assigned a new recruiter yet ( my old one left) and so I really don't have anyone else to ask. Thanks!

- EODDave : Feel free to jump in with info about BDCP.
- spider

Edited by - spidrwmn on 10/11/2001 19:13:46

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Ok, here is what I have learned about BDCP. Spdr is correct in assuming accesions for each fiscal year. The BDCP folks look to see when you graduate. You will be slotted in that fiscal year. So, my guess is that since we just started Fy 02, there will probably be SWO slots in FY-03 when she graduates. My advice is that if you want a SWO slot, then put down BDCP SWO and just plain SWO for two of your three choices on your application. If you dont want to be an NFO or Pilot, then I would not put these down on your app as that is what you will probably get selected for. Decide what you really want to do in the Navy and stick to your guns. If you want to be a SWO then dont settle (or select) another job. If you arent selected as a SWO when your package goes up to Milington, wait for the rejection and then put your second and third choices. My experience with BSCP is that if you out NFO or Pilot down in any order on your application, thats what youll get. Remember "Needs of the Navy" come first. Pick a job where youll be happy and dont settle for anything less. If your not happy being an NFO, or any other job for that matter, then youll probably make someone else miserable in the process.

Dave

SNA Russell

spidrwmn - Why you (or anyone) would want to go SWO is beyond me, but if it's what you want then go for it. I agree with EODDave - SWO spots should be available if you're graduating in Spring 2003. If you apply for SWO and get picked up for something else, don't sign the enlistment contract. Wait a few months and then reapply. Good luck.

Rory

Edited by - SNA Russell on 10/12/2001 03:50:26

Dave Shutter

That's funny Nikki, I'm told BDCP is the reason SWO is so locked up...

I agree with EODDave, I don't know much about the BDCP program or how the selection goes, but if they're anything like recruiters then at one point or another you may just find yourself sitting across from someone in Khakis trying to talk you into a job no one else wants. BDCP sounds like a great deal and I have yet to hear anyone complain about it but find out all about the obligation conditions less you find yourself with little to no choice after graduation.

As for the selection choices you put down, and far be it for me to disagree with Dave who does has Navy experience, but there has been a lot of talk about putting down only one choice lest you get stuck with another. I have to disagree with that rational based on my experience with selection. People read a lot into the process when it's really as simple as it sounds: monkeys throwing banana peels at each other. After med and pro-review board you go to community selection starting with your first choice. If you qualify, and those guys need a body to fill a hole, then they're probably going to take you, if not then they'll pass, but they most likely will not say: "Well she's qualified for our very undermanned community, but Joe down the hall needs people even more than we do so we'll let her go to their community and we'll just suffer 'cuz were nice guys." The selection board for a given community has a job to do and that's to fill their billets. Example: NFO is hurting much worse than pilot but pilot was my #1 choice the second time I submitted and NFO was #2, I was actually qualified for SNA the second time and SURPRISE they took me! To my knowledge there isn't some omnipotent one at CNRC sifting through app's sending them around to boards regardless of the preference indicated. I initially had a PBI of 3, a solid thumbs-down for SNA, nevertheless, that's where my app went first because that's where I wanted it to to go first!

Some other things to think about: when I was first rejected my app. automatically went down the hall TO EVERY OTHER COMMUNITY and of course, I did not ask for that! Also, I could not re-test or re-submit until they were all done looking at it which took months! On that note: quadruple check all the requirements for you 1'st choice and don't take anyone's word for it that your good, (like I did!) because if there's something the board is powerless to say no to (like a 3 PBI for SNA!) then you'll find your app' bouncing all over the place and since your obligated as a BDCP then you may get it you know where...just a thought...

Also, when you are selected then that community will MAKE YOU AN OFFER which you must accept in a written letter to them. You can always decline and re-submit for something else if you want. Sounds funny but the selection process isn't much different at all from getting a civilian job, you make the decision; don't forget that you're the one in the drivers seat! Just my $0.04 based on my experience, but again I'm not sure about BDCP selection.

Good luck and let us know!

Dave

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 10/12/2001 04:10:05

spidrwmn

Thanks for the info guys!!!

I am going to have a talk with my recruiter ( as soon as I figure out who that is) when I go to retest.

BTW- Dave : that word problem book is a life saver!!! I think that will definetly help me boost my score.
Also, does anyone know what kind of graphs are on the test ( form # 1). Thanks!!

- spider

Ed Williams

Don't worry about getting a swo spot. Even if you go to OCS with out a swo designator, no worry. There were 3 guys in my class alone who would have given their first born to get rid of their swo spot. in the land of ocs, swo is like the red headed step child that no one wants, and if you do want it, it will be easy for you to find someone who will trade you for it. don't sweat getting a swo spot.
ed

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
spdrwmn,

I talked with my Master Chief today and he said there were plenty of spots for 03 selections in the swo field.

Dave

spidrwmn

Thanks for the heads up Dave!

But I may have to postpone my Navy plans for a bit. I am having some issues with my shoulder ( which is keeping me from working on pushups, etc) and I have been swamped with school work. So I have had to push back my test date ( should have been today) and I need to go to the Dr. and see what is wrong with my shoulder. Hopefully nothing serious.

- spider

Gator

First let me say that BDCP is a great program especially if you get the field that you want. Only go into the program you will be happy with the job you get. Having been prior service I know that if you get stuck in a career field that you don't like you will only be miserable and nver fullu enjoy your itme in the service. I personally would not have gone back in if I had not received a slot for SNA. Do what you think is best and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.