• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

depth perception waiver possible?

jjg

Tried to look all over and couldn't find anything.

I recently got a call from my OR and said I was disqualified from SNA because I didn't meet the depth perception standards. I went to an eye doctor and passed ever singel line of the randot with 20 seconds of arch . So it is safe to say I have depth preception. From what I've found it seems like waivers were once possible, but not anymore. Is this true? Is there a form my OR isnt aware of? Otherwise I have to drive 3 hours back to meps to retake this single test and possibly fail it again because it is different.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section as well, I am new here.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Tried to look all over and couldn't find anything.

I recently got a call from my OR and said I was disqualified from SNA because I didn't meet the depth perception standards. I went to an eye doctor and passed ever singel line of the randot with 20 seconds of arch . So it is safe to say I have depth preception. From what I've found it seems like waivers were once possible, but not anymore. Is this true? Is there a form my OR isnt aware of? Otherwise I have to drive 3 hours back to meps to retake this single test and possibly fail it again because it is different.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section as well, I am new here.

No there is no such thing as a DP waiver. You can request to re-do an eye exam/DP test at MEPS.

N3M will not accept second opinions unless it's from MEPS or a military hospital/clinic.

jjg

No there is no such thing as a DP waiver. You can request to re-do an eye exam/DP test at MEPS.

N3M will not accept second opinions unless it's from MEPS or a military hospital/clinic.
If i manage to not get it again and fail, is there anything I can do?

scsmith43

pilot
If i manage to not get it again and fail, is there anything I can do?
I had the same issue when I was applying. Failed the AFVT at MEPS, passed the Randot test with 20 sec arcs at a civilian optometrist, had my OR send the results to N3M and I was cleared SNA. The AFVT test is dumb and it gets a lot of studs. They use the Randot test for your flight physical in Newport and down here at NAMI.

exNavyOffRec

I had the same issue when I was applying. Failed the AFVT at MEPS, passed the Randot test with 20 sec arcs at a civilian optometrist, had my OR send the results to N3M and I was cleared SNA. The AFVT test is dumb and it gets a lot of studs. They use the Randot test for your flight physical in Newport and down here at NAMI.

read RUFIO's post, they no longer accept civilian depth perception test, way too many people were getting civilian test saying they passed then failing at some point in the process.

FormerRecruitingGuru

N3M changed the policy. They will not accept eye exam results from a Civilian doctor, only MEPS and Military Clinic. This came out about several months ago.

jjg

I think I'm going next thursday to give it another shot. Besides my biggest problem the first time which was not taking my time, has anyone had experience with any of the techniques like; not focusing one one dot, only dots 2,3, and 4 are choices, staring off past the dots, etc.?

jjg

Just back if anyone else ever has this problem and can use this for their future reference. I went back and passed. Got every single line right and now am waiting for the March board. My advice to anyone who has this problem is to have your OR reschedule an exam. But before doing so, I would suggest getting a civilian depth test done. It helped with my confidence alot and reassures that you have depth perception. When it comes time for the MEPS test, there are a couple of things. I can confirm the 1st and 5th dots are not choices and just there to through you off. Also, not focusing on a single dot and looking out of the machine to focus on something else then looking back helps too. However, the most important thing is to just take your time.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Just back if anyone else ever has this problem and can use this for their future reference. I went back and passed. Got every single line right and now am waiting for the March board. My advice to anyone who has this problem is to have your OR reschedule an exam. But before doing so, I would suggest getting a civilian depth test done. It helped with my confidence alot and reassures that you have depth perception. When it comes time for the MEPS test, there are a couple of things. I can confirm the 1st and 5th dots are not choices and just there to through you off. Also, not focusing on a single dot and looking out of the machine to focus on something else then looking back helps too. However, the most important thing is to just take your time.

Um, check the board threads. The Pilot/NFO board dates have changed. Next one to apply is May.

Rockriver

pilot
It's good news that you passed, but it is disturbing that multiple tests can produce varying results, especially when your career is on the line.

Take care of your vision. You don't want to end up like Jim "Wash-Out" Pfaffenbach.
hot-shots-1991-05-g.jpg

exNavyOffRec

My recruiter told me today that March was the next board. I will still check...

Was you kit submitted say in Dec? If not you will wait until May, not too hard to check since RUFIO uploaded the board document from NRC onto this site.