• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception problem and options....

Peter Bajus

My rating is HM and I leave for boot camp in 48 days. I wanted to get a rescue swimmer contract but I did not pass the depth perception test at MEPS but I heard that many people have failed it at MEPS and then passed the other DP test given for aircrewmen. I think I may have rushed the test and I heard that using certain techniques such as, blinking rapidly and or closing your eyes for a couple of seconds and then refocusing helps in telling the difference between dots. Is this true? My doctor says that I have normal depth perception so would it be worth it to try to get this waivered by BUMED regarding that I only have 48 days?
Or should I see if I can go to MEPS again and take the test?
Or should I go in as an HM and get my vision corrected and then retake the test?
Do they give you the same depth perception test in Boot camp as they do in MEPS or is it different? What is the test called?

Any help would be extreamely appreceated!!! ASAP
God bless​

robav8r

None
Contributor
Make sure you drink LOTS of water the night before your re-test (if that's an option for you). Your eyes are very sensitive to dehydration . . . . .

Peter Bajus

I want to become a rescue swimmer but I also want to be a Corpsman. Can I be both? Would this maximize oppertunitties for humanitarian aid? If so, when would I get the oppertunitty to try out for rescue swimmer? after Corpsman A school?
Thanks

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I can't speak to the specifics of MEPS testing anymore (It's been 15 years or so...) but...

I never pass the standard "which dot is closest" depth perception test. There is an alternate test which relys on a different optical illusion that they give me every year that I pass easily. I think that some of these depth perception tests are like those 3D pictures they used to sell at the mall...some people see dolphins, some people see a bunch or ridiculous colors. YMMV.

MonkUSMC

Playing the waiting game
I failed my DP test at MEPS as well. It's a requirement to have DP as Motor Transport, but guess what? I'm Motor T. I've worried about not having DP at all considering I want to become a pilot, but I went to a few eye doctors and all of them said my DP is fine.

I never knew drinking water the night before a test helps your eyes. So getting drunk the night before an eye test was NOT a good idea?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I want to become a rescue swimmer but I also want to be a Corpsman. Can I be both? Would this maximize oppertunitties for humanitarian aid? If so, when would I get the oppertunitty to try out for rescue swimmer? after Corpsman A school?
Thanks
There are SAR corpsmen that fly, but it's a very competitive process and you apply later in your career, not after A school - it's not like FMF where you can just jump into the job. As a SAR corpsman you're technically both a rescue swimmer and a corpsman, but you'll only be a SAR corpsman for one tour, then you'll jump back into the HM career track.

Peter Bajus

Okay, so if I get the oppertunitty to get into the Hm8401 pipeline after A school and finish a tour or more, I wanted to also get into physical therapy. Would that be possible? Could I even get into the pipeline after A school?

robav8r

None
Contributor
I never knew drinking water the night before a test helps your eyes. So getting drunk the night before an eye test was NOT a good idea?

For you, sounds like a great plan - you should continue that strategy.

exNavyOffRec

Okay, so if I get the oppertunitty to get into the Hm8401 pipeline after A school and finish a tour or more, I wanted to also get into physical therapy. Would that be possible? CouldI even get into the pipeline after A school?
I have known several corpsman that have gone the physical therapy route, they all enjoyed the job, but all said it is not a career advancing decision.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I have known several corpsman that have gone the physical therapy route, they all enjoyed the job, but all said it is not a career advancing decision.

<<Up on soapbox>>
This shit is starting to make me nuts. Just what is the goal to your career? If your whole career goal is advancement, then seek life elsewhere. People perform best when they are doing a job they enjoy, are good at etc...not when they are doing the job that can get them ahead. If performing well, being happy at the end of the day and being in a job that feeds something other than your desire for advancement isn't enough, then frankly, I don't want to work with you.
<<Off soapbox>>
NavyOffRec, I realize this wasn't what you were getting at necessarily, but this attitude was rampant in my last community, and IMHO, Navy-wide. Have the stones to pick your career and be content with it.

exNavyOffRec

<<Up on soapbox>>
This shit is starting to make me nuts. Just what is the goal to your career? If your whole career goal is advancement, then seek life elsewhere. People perform best when they are doing a job they enjoy, are good at etc...not when they are doing the job that can get them ahead. If performing well, being happy at the end of the day and being in a job that feeds something other than your desire for advancement isn't enough, then frankly, I don't want to work with you.
<<Off soapbox>>
NavyOffRec, I realize this wasn't what you were getting at necessarily, but this attitude was rampant in my last community, and IMHO, Navy-wide. Have the stones to pick your career and be content with it.

I understand what you are saying, I have known too many people that have said "if I had known I would be stuck at XXX then I would have chosen a different route" but I know others including myself that due to choices I made are stuck at XXX, the difference is I am happy with my career and what I have done. A person needs to know what the cards are looking like, and if they are ok with it then great, I feel for the ones that were not informed before making a decision, not as bad if they didn't try to ask the questions.

Peter Bajus

Yeah, I just want to be able to use the physical ablilities the good Lord has blessed me with to help others in need and give Jesus Christ the glory all the way. I am very active and just want to get a job that will give me the oppertunitty to be physical and help other people on a day to day basis. I was interested in rescue swimmer, but I found out that the Coast Guard has the best program for that and that the Navy rescue swimmers get to go on actual rescue missions about 1% of the time. Plus I wanted to get more of a medical foundation that HM offers.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah, I just want to be able to use the physical ablilities the good Lord has blessed me with to help others in need and give Jesus Christ the glory all the way. I am very active and just want to get a job that will give me the oppertunitty to be physical and help other people on a day to day basis. I was interested in rescue swimmer, but I found out that the Coast Guard has the best program for that and that the Navy rescue swimmers get to go on actual rescue missions about 1% of the time. Plus I wanted to get more of a medical foundation that HM offers.

The rescues depend what type of helo squadron you are with and where you are at, the rescue swimmer I know on a regular basis does mountain rescues, and rescues on the open water, but he is stationed at a NAS not with a shipboard squadron.