• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception mega thread

Hey all,
I'm about two years away from commissioning via NROTC and am a pilot/NFO hopeful. Unfortunately, when I was getting tested by a military doctor prior to entering in the service, I reported two eye surgeries I had about 15 years ago to correct my heterotrophia that were successful and it is now well under the NAMI 1st class limits of +/- 6 diopters(correct me if I'm wrong here). In addition to this, my optometrist told me that my depth perception is more or less garbage and I was unable to pass the Titmus fly test for stereopsis. At this point I was pretty sure my hopes of serving as a Naval officer in an aviation related capacity were over. However, I heard from more than one source in naval aviation that the surgery can be waivered and that depth perception is only an issue for pilots. I know this is a lot of information but any feedback concerning their own experiences with similar issues that would be greatly appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

Hey all,
I'm about two years away from commissioning via NROTC and am a pilot/NFO hopeful. Unfortunately, when I was getting tested by a military doctor prior to entering in the service, I reported two eye surgeries I had about 15 years ago to correct my heterotrophia that were successful and it is now well under the NAMI 1st class limits of +/- 6 diopters(correct me if I'm wrong here). In addition to this, my optometrist told me that my depth perception is more or less garbage and I was unable to pass the Titmus fly test for stereopsis. At this point I was pretty sure my hopes of serving as a Naval officer in an aviation related capacity were over. However, I heard from more than one source in naval aviation that the surgery can be waivered and that depth perception is only an issue for pilots. I know this is a lot of information but any feedback concerning their own experiences with similar issues that would be greatly appreciated.

There are medical and vision items that even if fine now if you have a "history of" can DQ you from programs, so if your pre vision level was over the diopter limit even though it is under now you would still not be qualified from aviation.

I completely failed my depth perception test. I’m no doctor but I can tell my hand before my feet any day of the week. The test seems flawed to me and a new addition to the meps process that needs some tweaking

Luckyflyer

1. I failed my depth perception and I'm submitting my package for SNA/NFO.
  2. Can I retake my depth perception test?
  3. The lady administering the exam only asked me 2 lines of the 18 that were shown. Is there a reason for that?
  4. Am I screwed?

Chris94

CWO selected
  1. I failed my depth perception and I'm submitting my package for SNA/NFO.
  2. Can I retake my depth perception test?
  3. The lady administering the exam only asked me 2 lines of the 18 that were shown. Is there a reason for that?
  4. Am I screwed?
If you weren't wearing glasses and didn't test 20/20 on your other vision tests you may be able to go back with a prescription for them to retest you. That's what I did.

Chris94

CWO selected
I tested 20/15 on both eyes.
She didn't explain at all what I was supposed to do. So I kinda rushed it.
I did the same thing the first time. The second time was much easier. I'd talk to your recruiter and see if they can reschedule a retake. You can still apply for SNFO with failed DP.

EvanS27

Just got a call from my recruiter that they accepted my outside consultation for depth perception. My N3M now states I'm fully qualified for pilot

Luckyflyer: Congrats on getting that consultation accepted. I am currently in the same boat and submitted my civilian optometrist consultation that said that I had full depth perception (at least 40 arcseconds). Couple questions for you:

1. How long did it take for you to here back that they accepted it?
  2. Did the consultation say anything specific that you know of?
  3. Did you do anything else differently?

I have also heard that MEPS is not taking these civilian consultations anymore, so hopefully this is a good sign!

Thanks

Luckyflyer

Luckyflyer: Congrats on getting that consultation accepted. I am currently in the same boat and submitted my civilian optometrist consultation that said that I had full depth perception (at least 40 arcseconds). Couple questions for you:

1. How long did it take for you to here back that they accepted it?
  2. Did the consultation say anything specific that you know of?
  3. Did you do anything else differently?
I have also heard that MEPS is not taking these civilian consultations anymore, so hopefully this is a good sign!

Thanks
It was a very weird series of events. My old recruiter (who I decided to get rid of) called me and told me that I failed my DP test at MEPS. She told me she got clearance from MEPS for me to go my private eye doctor and get a consultation there. If I passed that test, they would accept it.

Then, I talked to my current recruiter and he said that if I go to my private eye doctor, it might get me back into MEPS for a retest. So...I went and passed that test, submitted the doctors summary to my recruiter who sent it along to MEPS. A week later I got my N3M stating that I was fully qualified.

EvanS27

It was a very weird series of events. My old recruiter (who I decided to get rid of) called me and told me that I failed my DP test at MEPS. She told me she got clearance from MEPS for me to go my private eye doctor and get a consultation there. If I passed that test, they would accept it.

Then, I talked to my current recruiter and he said that if I go to my private eye doctor, it might get me back into MEPS for a retest. So...I went and passed that test, submitted the doctors summary to my recruiter who sent it along to MEPS. A week later I got my N3M stating that I was fully qualified.

Awesome man. Thanks for the help!

srichar1

I was at MEPS a few months ago and passed my physical. My eye sight is 20/20 uncorrected and no glasses. They tested my depth perception and I got Pass-C. After looking at the requirements on U. S. Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide for SNA it says you must pass the AFVT with at least A – D and no misses (I had no idea what the requirement was when I went to MEPS).

My recruiter said he submitted my package for SNA SWO and NFO in that order...If the requirement for pilot is Pass-D do you think I got some type of waiver? Or how was he able to submit my application for SNA if I didn’t get to D on my DP test?