• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception mega thread

bchelleen

Just went to MEPS and took the Depth Perception test and passed A through E. I believe A through D is required. It is very challenging but my biggest piece of advice would be to take your time. Don't let the workers at MEPS push you into hurrying that test. Really focus and TRUST YOURSELF. I also would advise hydrating and getting a good night sleep the night before if it is something that you are concerned about. Good luck.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I'd like to mention this, not for it to be perceived as the rule, but an exception. On 20161208 I failed the MEPS depth perception test outright, and logged 20/50 in the left eye. Because I had PRK in my right eye back in 2014, I was due for a consult, which ended up happening through an Army hospital on Fort Jackson. The optometrists at the hospital said I had full depth perception and 20/30 in the left eye. They in turn passed these results back to MEPS.

I have not retaken the MEPS DP test since. Today, N3M approved me for both NA and NFO.

I just thought I'd mention that this to prove that it's possible, as I keep hearing that one must retake the MEPS DP test to be cleared by N3M at all.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
It doesn't need to be retaken at MEPS, but N3M will only accept optometry results from MEPS or another military clinic. What they will no longer do is accept results from civilian optometrists.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'd like to mention this, not for it to be perceived as the rule, but an exception. On 20161208 I failed the MEPS depth perception test outright, and logged 20/50 in the left eye. Because I had PRK in my right eye back in 2014, I was due for a consult, which ended up happening through an Army hospital on Fort Jackson. The optometrists at the hospital said I had full depth perception and 20/30 in the left eye. They in turn passed these results back to MEPS.

I have not retaken the MEPS DP test since. Today, N3M approved me for both NA and NFO.

I just thought I'd mention that this to prove that it's possible, as I keep hearing that one must retake the MEPS DP test to be cleared by N3M at all.

Yes, Iike what myself and @NavyOffRec have been saying for a while now.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's been said before and I'll say it again: as was stated a couple posts above, take your time. It's not a timed test like the color vision (I don't think... never been rushed to give an answer anyway).
And.....

Slowly rock your head left and right. The shifting parallax will help the right O "pop" out. Also, don't try to over-focus. This test, along with all the other binocular depth perception tests (line intersection, stair intersection etc) are meant to test your vision focused at infinity. If you focus hard and accomodate your eyes, you can shift the focus and get the wrong answer (at least on those intersecting tests).

Hammer10k

pilot
I failed DP at MEPS and went to an optometrist for a retest. Passed and haven't had an issue since. One of the things that helped me was researching how the circle tests work. If you're worried about it, google tips on how the circle tests work. There will be advice on "looking through" the circles and they talk about how the raised circles are usually in the center.

Also, you can sorta practice on these type sites:
http://www.eyetricks.com/3dstereo.htm

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I failed DP at MEPS and went to an optometrist for a retest. Passed and haven't had an issue since.

Not an option anymore...

It doesn't need to be retaken at MEPS, but N3M will only accept optometry results from MEPS or another military clinic. What they will no longer do is accept results from civilian optometrists.

Yes, Iike what myself and @NavyOffRec have been saying for a while now.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I failed DP at MEPS and went to an optometrist for a retest. Passed and haven't had an issue since. One of the things that helped me was researching how the circle tests work. If you're worried about it, google tips on how the circle tests work. There will be advice on "looking through" the circles and they talk about how the raised circles are usually in the center.

Also, you can sorta practice on these type sites:
http://www.eyetricks.com/3dstereo.htm

You can't go to a civilian doctor, N3M will only accept retests from MEPS or a Military Hospital/Clinic. People have been shopping doctors to qualify them only to fail and be NPQ'd once they start their NAMI physical at OCS.

Hammer10k

pilot
Not an option anymore...

You can't go to a civilian doctor, N3M will only accept retests from MEPS or a Military Hospital/Clinic. People have been shopping doctors to qualify them only to fail and be NPQ'd once they start their NAMI physical at OCS.

Glad I got in before this change over. I understand the policy change but hope MEPS or the mil clinics allow for retests. I swear those MEPS glasses were worn out! ;)

exNavyOffRec

Glad I got in before this change over. I understand the policy change but hope MEPS or the mil clinics allow for retests. I swear those MEPS glasses were worn out! ;)

A friend of mine was an HM that worked at MEPS, the equipment is tested often, what was found is that those who failed at MEPS then passed at a civilian doctor were failing when they had a NAMI physical, few were passing both, during my time at the NRD I can't think of a single person who failed at MEPS, passed a civilian doc, then passed NAMI, it was a steady stream of "I was redesignated" I know you made it but you were the exception, some people just do have bad days which I am guessing you did.

Hammer10k

pilot
A friend of mine was an HM that worked at MEPS, the equipment is tested often, what was found is that those who failed at MEPS then passed at a civilian doctor were failing when they had a NAMI physical, few were passing both, during my time at the NRD I can't think of a single person who failed at MEPS, passed a civilian doc, then passed NAMI, it was a steady stream of "I was redesignated" I know you made it but you were the exception, some people just do have bad days which I am guessing you did.

I never thought about how the re-testers did on dp after MEPS. I remember reading posts about getting the civilian test done for a waiver but never considered the follow ups. Figured it was a bad day type scenario for most. Crazy to think there was a steady supply of OCS indocs showing up and redesing because of it.

Last edited:

menloe

I have searched/read on this thread as well as "The Doc Is In" thread and not found an answer to the following:

I am in the process of applying for SNFO. As a prior enlisted Airman who has taken the Depth Perception test many times, I know full well that I can't pass the OVT test. According to the "Aviation Physical Standards" document, page 6, section 1.8 "Applicant Student Naval Flight Officer Standards", Depth Perception is Not Required. (YAY!, Right?) Well I went to MEPS two weeks ago, and of course, passed everything except DP (got "Pass B"). My recruiter called me today and says that I am currently disqualified from ALL aviation jobs, including NFO, due to failing DP. He states that ALL aviation personnel must get at least "Pass C". The next step is to make a drive to P'cola and have NAMI do a full work up.

So, why does the "Aviation Physical Standards" document and "Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide" state that DP is not required when, in fact, it is required Pass C?

Below are the links to the documents referenced above:
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/01_Physical_Standards.pdf
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/12_Ophthalmology.pdf

(This is a frustrating subject for me as I left active duty AF two years ago to work on my degree in hopes of becoming a NFO. Basically, my entire life for the last two years has revolved around this dream and the "DP Not Required" statement.)

cubuffalo

Just went back and retook the depth perception test after failing the first time (Passed A-C). Passed with flying colors this time, A-F. I think it definitely helped that I was much less stressed this time then when I took the test with 15 other people in the middle of a long day at MEPS. I have had my vision corrected from 20/30 to 20/20, not sure how much of an effect that had. I also practiced with a magic eye book a lot and I think that helped me understand how to focus my eyes to do well on the test. Anyway, good luck to anyone else who is stressed about this test, its definitely doable.

Seniuram

I have my MEPS appointment tomorrow and the depth perception test is the only thing I'm worrying about.

Any advice you can give on how to take it. What I've found so far after digging a ton:
1) Practice the Magic eye tests (Which I can do but it takes me a minute to get my eyes adjusted)
2) It'll always be one of the middle 3 dots, never the end ones (Is this true?)
3) Scan your eyes back and forth over the dots. (This doesn't work for me on the Magic eye tests)
4) Drink lots of water 24 hours before.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I'm just beating a dead horse at this point but what do I know.

CHL

I failed my depth perception exam at MEPS about a year ago. I have since had LASIK surgery and passed several tests with civilian doctors. Earlier in this thread, multiple people mentioned that applicants have to pass a military exam if they fail the test at MEPS. However, my recruiter says N3M has cleared me for SNA, and I won't have to go back to MEPS.

For those in the know, does that sound accurate? I'd hate to miss the upcoming board for something so easily preventable.