• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployment video causing heat for Enterprise Skipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRfly

None

4. If you can eat shit, compromise your innate instincts which brought YOU to the 'warrior' lifestyle in the first place, and howl at the moon ... then stay in, become a 'manager', and learn the joys of the bureaucratic PC lifestyle in a blue uniform w/ gold buttons, by all means.

5. If you can't eat shit -- won't compromise your basic instincts -- and you don't/won't howl at the moon -- then vote with your feet.

You cannot and WILL NOT change the 'beast' while you're in the belly of the beast. Those of you who think you can 'change the system' from within are dreamers, idealists, or just plain naive. To remain in the system when you don't agree w/ it shows your 'handlers' that you WILL go along, get along. You give them breathing space. That's all the further they think ...

The ONLY time you can make a difference AND change policy is when you 'get their attention' ... as in when 80% + of squadron LTs were GETTIN' OUT in the Carter years. The military-Regan years profited from 'our' taking a principled stand.

Believe it.
[/B]

Fair enough...But to vote with one's feet loses a little something when the vote comes after accepting checks and healthcare for the rest of one's life...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fair enough...But to vote with one's feet loses a little something when the vote comes after accepting checks and healthcare for the rest of one's life...
FAIL.

And bullshit, if you will 'excuse the expression' .... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... ^ .... the luxury of the ignorance of youth.

For the record ... not that's any of your business ... I stayed in the Reserves ... almost got called up twice ... flew hard-core stuff for the FLEET ... day/CAVU/night/bad WX/minimums ... trained a LOT of foreign STUDs ... went to several skools ... did a LOT of ACDUTRA ... even volunteered & flew some 'stuff' for 'another agency of the government' ... almost "bought it" 3 times ... and retired w/ 20 and I could have gone on longer if I REALLY, REALLY WANTED THAT O-6 parking spot @ the NEX/Commissary -- but I didn't want to do more time as I was already additionally flyin' 65+ hours a month for the 'Man' ...

Except for the NEX and later the Commissary (when the law was changed -- do you remember that ??? ) ... I didn't get jack-shit from UNCLE until I was 60.

I paid my 'dues'. I don't have to apologize to anyone.

IRfly

None
Point taken, but still, it's a bit of a stretch to roll on to this social-networking site and either imply or straight out say that if you stay in the military after this, then you're a shit-eating bitch with no personal integrity. Even in my relatively short time I've learned how much it sucks to keep playing the game while the rules are constantly changed. Basic laws of nature--adapt, migrate, or die. Some people are more adaptable than others.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I never understood the mindset of 'leaders' who felt the need to be 'buddies' w/ the troops ... there's something's missing here. You're either a leader or you are not. That doesn't mean you can't stand up for your guys -- to the death -- and support them.

I will argue for and against this. No, you don't need to be buddies with your troops as long as they know you're there to stand beside them when they do well and to kick them in the butt when they screw up but I also understand that there are huge differences in the the generations of Sailors and Marines and how they deal with motivation, direction and correction.

I lead a group of folks that range from age 22 to age 70 on a bunch of engineering and operational tasks. Some are ex-military and some are not and I find that there are at least three different and distinct leadership styles that work depending upon the age/background group I'm dealing with.

While it would be nice to believe that boot-camp and military experience serves as a great leveler that allows us to have a single way of getting people to understand the mission and be motivated to put forth their best effort I have just not found it so in my military or civilian career. The Capt found a way to reach the crew and, by all accounts, was a well respected and effective leader. It worked for him and for the Navy and him being cashiered for it five years after the fact is a wrong that will haunt the Navy.

das

Contributor
You guys who support/promote social networking websites are only focusing on ONE point in a 6 point post ...

That's because it was the only thing in your post I disagreed with. ;)

Grasshopper signing off. Gotta check Facebook...

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
You guys who support/promote social networking websites are only focusing on ONE point in a 6 point post .... The beat goes on ...

Well, yes, but ...

In my view this is where you struck a major nerve. Like the little lemmings these fools trust a a private firm to care for personal information, to hold and protect. Just because one closes their eyes does not mean there is no danger. Yes, I have a FB account, completely gibberish and only exists so I can see other, quite ignorant, posts. Yes, if you have nothing but gibberish on FB, then go ahead, just do not put anything that is important to you out there.

While I am certainly not a luddite, I note the phenomenon of Wiki-leaks, and in the same breath folks tell me FB is secure 'cause they have a password, and you cannort "Googgle" their account. And that their IP address nor GPS coord are not instantly available. Ignorance is bliss someone told me once.

Russia with a major stake in Facebook has a seat at the FB management table.

S.O.B.

pilot
If someone want's my SS# and any other Vital Statistics I'm sure the VA will hook them up. I'm really not all that worried about FB.....

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
3. If you don't like the ever-changing nature of "what's acceptable conduct" in the USN ... then you need to consider other venues for a permanent vocation. THE NAVY ALWAYS EATS ITS OWN ... always has, always will. If/when the shit hits the fan -- THE NAVY WILL NOT BACK YOU UP. It hasn't historically, why do you think it would in a PC world ... ???

Believe it.

This goes back to one of the most basic truths you have to understand if you don't want to end your career disappointed:

It is o.k. to love the Navy; it is not o.k. to expect the Navy to love you back.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
1. The XO/CO of the ENTERPRISE fucked up when he made the vids ... and, in point of fact, the choice of 'humor' displayed in the vids really wasn't really all that 'funny' ... + ... he left a trail and opened the door to put himself on report. I don't care whether or not YOU are an OUTSTANDING leader, an average one, or someone who's substandard but has been covering his/her shortcomings and hasn't been 'outed' as of yet. If/when you EVER do that (put yourself on report), you're a goddamn fool ...

I never understood the mindset of 'leaders' who felt the need to be 'buddies' w/ the troops ...
there's something's missing here. You're either a leader or you are not. That doesn't mean you can't stand up for your guys -- to the death -- and support them. I found my point of view validated over and over and over in many ways & on many days ...

Believe it.

2. You fellows who participate in 'social networks' are fools. Someday, it's going to bite you in the ass. These internet creations are UN-professional -- for professionals -- and they represent a desperate, needy, attention-whore segment of our 'society' ... they are NOT worthy of 'professionals'.

Believe it.

3. If you don't like the ever-changing nature of "what's acceptable conduct" in the USN ... then you need to consider other venues for a permanent vocation. THE NAVY ALWAYS EATS ITS OWN ... always has, always will. If/when the shit hits the fan -- THE NAVY WILL NOT BACK YOU UP. It hasn't historically, why do you think it would in a PC world ... ???

Believe it.

4. If you can eat shit, compromise your innate instincts which brought YOU to the 'warrior' lifestyle in the first place, and howl at the moon ... then stay in, become a 'manager', and learn the joys of the bureaucratic PC lifestyle in a blue uniform w/ gold buttons, by all means.

5. If you can't eat shit -- won't compromise your basic instincts -- and you don't/won't howl at the moon -- then vote with your feet.

You cannot and WILL NOT change the 'beast' while you're in the belly of the beast. Those of you who think you can 'change the system' from within are dreamers, idealists, or just plain naive. To remain in the system when you don't agree w/ it shows your 'handlers' that you WILL go along, get along. You give them breathing space. That's all the further they think ...

The ONLY time you can make a difference AND change policy is when you 'get their attention' ... as in when 80% + of squadron LTs were GETTIN' OUT in the Carter years. The military-Regan years profited from 'our' taking a principled stand.

Believe it.

6. And ... you are welcome.

7. Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

Believe it.

#1 and #3 I'm with you on. The rest, not so much.

As far as the social network stuff, there are people who abuse them or are stupid about how they use them, but they're useful and valuable for a lot of good reasons. There's nothing wrong with letting the grandparents see pictures of the little ones via Facebook. It's also a useful tool to keep in touch with family members one wouldn't normally see, or to get back in touch with high school classmates or whatever. Just because you're not into that doesn't make it wrong, or make those who do it attention whores. If you post pictures of yourself puking on your shoes, well, you'll get what you deserve then. Like nuclear power, social networks have good uses and bad uses.

If voting with your feet has made you happy, then fine. Like I said before, EVERYONE, civilian and military, does this. You don't like your workplace, then quit. People do that in every occupation. No skin off my back. However, it seems like you're saying that everyone who stays is "eating shit," or selling out to the man or some such. Some undoubtedly are. Others though, would rather be flying LAT, or dropping bombs, or landing in LZs than going to "the Show" that you hold up as the apex of aviation. In a few years, maybe I'll be trying to do that too, but for right now, I see very few 747s flying low-level on NVGs into desert LZs, so I'll stick with Uncle a little longer. It doesn't mean that I'm selling out or compromising my integrity.

Somebody has to defend this country of ours. The problems our military has now don't even compare to those experienced between WWI and II. A lot of good people were forced out or left because it sucked. But, some good men stuck it out in spite of it all, and we're lucky they did. Eisenhower, Patton, and MacArthur, to name a few.

Some people will say "no mas" and elect to leave. I have nothing against that. Others will say that they like their job in spite of the downsides. Maybe they like being in the military. Maybe they want to serve. Maybe they just like playing with the baddest toys on the playground. They're only selling out if they allow themselves to.

A good portion of our military leadership is wanting. I just have to be happy with the leadership that I am providing. Knowing the state of the airline industry, a good percentage of the leadership there isn't so hot, either. Maybe you and your brethren need to quit your jobs in protest. Most don't though, do they? They stay because they like the hours, the lifestyle, and especially the seniority they've earned. Maybe it's not as different on that side of the fence as you might think.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meh ... I've had 3-4 guys walk up to me over the last few years and say: "ARE YOU A4s" ???

I just say: "Huh" ??? ... and they walk away, looking sheepish while I fart in their general direction ...

p.s. I'm in the ******* section of names on the VA-128 tail @ the NUW O'Club bar ... :eek:

A4s...the man, the myth, the legend. :) in effect

old_driver.gif

Pugs

Back from the range
None
The problems our military has now don't even compare to those experienced between WWI and II. A lot of good people were forced out or left because it sucked. But, some good men stuck it out in spite of it all, and we're lucky they did. Eisenhower, Patton, and MacArthur, to name a few.

Actually MacArthur retired in 37 and was a military advisor to the PI. He was recalled to AD in 41 as the US Arm far east which went poorly. Come a year later things went better.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Actually MacArthur retired in 37 and was a military advisor to the PI. He was recalled to AD in 41 as the US Arm far east which went poorly. Come a year later things went better.

Point taken, though that's still a long period of service between the wars, and the PI gig wasn't entirely "out."

Though, I'll see your MacArthur and raise you Adm Chester Nimitz!

robav8r

None
Contributor
SecDef, CJCS, CNO . . . and on down, will continue to support the sacking of the Capt. Honors of the world because that's the current state of our society and culture. A lot changed in my career following Tailhook, having to sign a page 13 stating that "I wasn't there" when I was a LAMPS aircrewman 800 miles east of Brazil reenforced the point. That was the beginning of "take down the Hooters calendars in your shops" and so many other PC mandates. So, I can see where folks could "question" in this day and age why he "recorded" and broadcast the things he said and did. Personally, what he does and says while underway is his business and probably would never be an issue - as long as you can control the insecure, Steven Spielberg wanna-be, camera-phone wielding, ready to post now, now, now on FB losers.

The general public will never know the value of a Capt Honors because they really don't need or care to. As long as their morning Starbucks Latte continues to be thrust at them and they can continue to disassociate themselves from the modern day realities of the American military, they will continue not caring. Until that is . . . . . like the policeman on the street corner . . . . . we suddenly NEED him (or her - don't want to offend :)

Just my .02c

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Point taken, though that's still a long period of service between the wars, and the PI gig wasn't entirely "out."

Though, I'll see your MacArthur and raise you Adm Chester Nimitz!

Nimitz, getting court marshaled at age 22 then going through flight school at age 52 pretty makes him the king of all Navy badasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.