• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployment video causing heat for Enterprise Skipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
As amusing as the video is, the "right thing" to do is to lay your career on the line for masturbation jokes?

Is this a frat or a fighting institution that I joined?
The news story I saw gave equal play to the simulated masturbation, the gay slurs, the cursing, and the two women showering together (no mention of the two men showering together). All of this appears salacious to the average taxpayer (if the branch chief of some government office was found making funny videos with this stuff I'll bet many would be shocked), but anyone who has spent time in the service or at sea is probably more non-plussed.

And of course this taken out of context...in the video there was numerous times he spoke about anyone being offended, and what they could do. I'll bet there are plenty of sailors in the Big 'E' that felt there was an open door policy with grievances.

There are plenty of lessons, but one lesson everyone should learn is always be careful what you put on film. I've personally seen two careers destroyed because of someone filming something that was hilarious when everyone was drunk or away from homeplate, but on Monday morning superiors were not amused.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor

But, no, Markie ... that's NOT what I was talking about. I personally think the vid was 'below average' for an XO.

Leave it to you to fuck up what I said.

So, illuminate us then, if not the language, what PC intrusion is worth resigning for?

This isn't an integrity issue any more than not being able to wear a hat sideways on base is an integrity issue. Bossman gets to make the rules, and for better or worse, the public gets a say because we are all public servants.

If you have juniors, at least you can set a different command climate. But if you're willing to stand up to the man, put your rank on the table, and go home because the culture isn't to your liking, that says a lot about your priorities.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1. So, illuminate us then, if not the language, what PC intrusion is worth resigning for?....

2. But if you're willing to stand up to the man, put your rank on the table, and go home because the culture isn't to your liking, that says a lot about your priorities.
1. You're not as smart as you think you are, are you ??? To repeat: your personal integrity. You DO have some ... don't you ???

Fuck your 'culture' ... it changes w/ the trade-winds. I drew a line in the sand w/ my NAVAIR sword, I got out, so did most of my contemporaries. And we were better for it. We were our 'own' men ... not whores to a paycheck and something we didn't believe in ...

If the 'culture' of the day was the Nazi party (or any other 'culture' ... 'Nazi' used merely for illustration) ... would YOU join ... Markie ???

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So he was XO of a CVN when he made these movies. His CO and the embarked Admiral both saw the videos yet elected to take no action. By taking no action, they basically gave him their approval. This is especially true if my understanding that there were multiple videos is correct.

So now years later, you're going to penalize and outstanding officer for an action he took with the approval of his chain of command.

Politically correct bull shit.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
1. You're not as smart as you think you are, are you ??? To repeat: your personal integrity. You DO have some ... don't you ???

Fuck your 'culture' ... it changes w/ the trade-winds. I drew a line in the sand w/ my NAVAIR sword, I got out, so did most of my contemporaries. And we were better for it. We were our 'own' men ... not whores to a paycheck and something we didn't believe in ...

If the 'culture' of the day was the Nazi party (or any other 'culture' ... 'Nazi' used merely for illustration) ... would YOU join ... Markie ???

Without picking sides, I just want to note that any time someone argues by throwing one side in with "Nazis" to get some sort of wildly inaccurate comparison and emotional response is a bit ridiculous. You're already on the losing end of the argument.

You don't agree with me.... what are you, a Nazi? Sounds like a tactic used by many of the talking heads on three-letter TV stations...

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I wasn't at your commissioning, but most one's I've been at involve an oath to the Constitution not the whims of the American public.

Yeah - that constitution has a pesky way of defending the "little guy." Sometimes it's not so convenient in the eyes of the constitution when we take the easy route and belittle (or, historically, worse) the minority to please the vast majority. It's not that simple. A4s, in the supposedly gold-gilded great days of "your NAVAIR," as you describe it, I can only imagine that my integrity would make me vote with my feet, too, but only for the completely opposite reason.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Without picking sides, I just want to note that any time someone argues by throwing one side in with "Nazis" to get some sort of wildly inaccurate comparison and emotional response is a bit ridiculous. You're already on the losing end of the argument.

You don't agree with me.... what are you, a Nazi? Sounds like a tactic used by many of the talking heads on three-letter TV stations...

It always comes down to Constitution vs Hitler. Sounds like a dinosaur comic.

With all due respect and IMMHO,

There is nothing wrong with A-4 Statement. He was illustrating what happens when every one does not question the "man" and and just goes along for the ride.... Just ask any WWII German soldiers why did you do it, they will most likely say "WE where only following orders". There is way to many problems with placing your destiny in the the wrong hands of faulty leadership. Today its a this Capt. Tomorrow it could be you for some lame joke you "as in every one in the armed service" told a few years ago.

Again I am now a taxpayer and I have no problems with this video.

P.S If I remember right didn't Tail hook get so dam big because of the News media stoked the fire?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I was following orders when I got my haircut this morning. Fuck the man, I'm letting it grow out. And if anyone calls me out on it I'm going to cry "Nazi"!

There's a spectrum. Language is a far cry from genocide.

Clux4

Banned
It is really funny to hear A4 talk about taking action but for what? Do you really think this Navy Captain(O-6) actually did anything worth fighting for? I mean, this is the kind of tomfoolery we expect from JO's not a mid-level field grade officer. Quite frankly, I don't think I can respect him from the little I know. He was the face of the institution and therefor had to hold himself to a higher standard. I can't even imagine a USMC Regimental CO(O-6) doing a video like this for moral purposes. There is a reason why Infantry Regimental CO's are sometimes referred to as "godfather" and other choice nicknames. It is because they assume the role of a father to the unit and are such are not expected to be acting around. I guess the Navy tradition welcomes this otherwise there is no way the Admiral knew about it and did not say anything. I guess the Admiral should also be reprimanded for not pulling the tape.

Caution to folks out there, don't say anything to any recording device if you know you will not like it to be played/aired on CNN. This is not political correctness folks; the public we serve expect civility within our ranks and rightfully so. Barbaric and insensitive acts are not justified because we are trained killers. This video does not offend me but why should I question someone that is offended by it? If you think this video is not offensive then you definitely will not have any problem with a video calling Hispanic's "wetbacks" or African American's "N-----". As a leader, you have to make the atmosphere around the command respectful and relaxed.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was following orders when I got my haircut this morning. Fuck the man, I'm letting it grow out. And if anyone calls me out on it I'm going to cry "Nazi"!

Beat me to it. Bottom line: Apples to frickin Oranges. Are you comparing mass genocide to a few inappropriate comments from an O-6 who probably shouldn't have made them? I don't see how me as a relatively powerless JO with 6+ years left on my contract doing nothing about some O-6 getting reprimanded for being overly "PC" (arguable at best, but wrong) is comparable to "just following orders" in carrying out genocide (ironic since I'm a jew...).

Bottom line and what seems to be the consensus here: I thought the video was funny. But there's a difference when it's a couple of JO's doing a Foc'sle follies or CoC video, and an O-6 cursing and throwing out pejorative terms with relative impunity on a WIDELY disseminated film (a few thousand... before it hit youtube).

The Navy isn't like most else in America. There are two standards (and often times more). In a fraternization case, the senior member usually takes the brunt. When a ship runs aground, the Captain who was asleep in his rack gets relieved.

When a JO makes a funny/offensive film, he gets back-clapped by JOPA and glared at by the O-4s. When an O-6 makes that same film, he gets his pee pee schwacked (or so it would seem in this case).

Right or wrong, that seems to be the way of our little world, so deal with it. I sincerely doubt anyone in this day and age could claim they didn't think twice or wonder about the implications of a film like this getting out when it was made. If the Capt did so knowingly (which he appears to admit heat from prior videos) and wanted to "stick it to the man" and not back down on what he thought was good fun, well good on him. At least he has integrity for doing what he thinks is right. But I don't believe he never thought this could turn out like this.

With all due respect and IMMHO,

Not really, as in the case with the Nazis and the Germen Army it started first with the Hitler oath and the Nuremberg laws, and went downhill from there pretty fast. And I am aware that the anti semitic attitudes was there long before Hitler came to power.

Who is going to be next that will be punished by the over zealous PC crowed?

This goes for all military personal as well as you, Thank you for serving our country, thank you for protecting My life and family's, by defending our country.

m26

Contributor
you put YOUR careers at risk, take a stand, and make things right.

Repeat after me ... 'put your careers at risk' ...

Numbers count. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE if you choose to do so. It's not 'mutiny', boys & girls ... it's about what's 'right'.

Many of you guys are 'enjoying' a military that was 'created' by guys in my and Cat's and HAL's and Winks time-frame and many, many others who decided to 'vote' w/ our FEET.

Nothing is more important than your integrity.

However & whatever form that takes ...

Some of us just won't serve under Commanders we don't respect.

I get confused here, A4s. I agree with the first one. If you feel so damn strongly that something is wrong, take a stand. Maybe it'll end your career, but why keep serving in that environment?

But are you saying people who don't agree with this environment should "vote with their feet" by just leaving the service at the end of their commitment? How would that solve anything? The higher-ups will lose that voice of dissent(/reason) in the ranks. Plus there will be no chance for that view to ever be found in the upper echelons if everyone who disagrees with the current state of affairs leaves. They'll just promote people who already fit that mold, and the culture will never change, except to get progressively worse. No?

Status
Not open for further replies.