• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployment video causing heat for Enterprise Skipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Looks like warrior-monk culture has infested the sea service, too.

Sorry to hear that, dudes.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Seems like a fun guy to work for.

Here's the video (the edited version from Virginian Pilot) since the copy on their website stinks.

jmcquate

Contributor
It's not like is was a secret. It was broadcast throughout the ship on a near weekly basis and he was promoted to Skipper of the E. Sounds like he may be the first victim of the repeal of DADT.

On a side note, where does an XO of a CV get the time to do something like that?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's all over national and international news (drudgereport.com). It's very easy for folks not in the business to take these things out of context and blow it up into a major CF.

I suspect a tightening of all change of command videos, etc will be coming our way. We had similar negative hoopla and press interest over a focsle follies a few years back on my ship. Standby for heavy seas.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This is just another example of politcal correctness being more important than leadership and mission accomplishment. Capt. Honors will be rail-roaded out of command and the Navy will lose another one of the "good guys".

I am also greatly disappointed in Ward Carroll, a former fighter puke and author, who was quoted in the linked article. Although I don't know him personally, I knew his reputation and enjoyed his books. But he has now lost my respect as he succumbs to the PC gods.

Ward Carroll, an aviator who flew with Honors, called the embattled officer "one of the good guys" but said he doesn't expect him to be the commander of the Enterprise when it deploys this month.
"I was disappointed, both professionally and personally, that he wantonly and with great prejudice walked across the lines that exist," said Carroll, who is now editor of Military.com. "I don't see there's any way he stays in command."

Bevo16

pilot
When you ask people to jump off the deck of a carrier at night with afterburners up their ass, fly several thousand miles, drop JDAMs on Hajis, and bring that sled back in one piece...well, it takes a certain kind of guy to do that. Sometimes those guys might also drop an F Bomb and make a gay joke.

I watched the video, and thought it was great. I would love to work for a guy who had a sense of humor like that and the ability to poke fun at himself. You can do a youtube search of "Focsle Follies" and find plenty of stuff that is just as "raunchy" or worse. Not to mention that these videos are 4-5 years old. It's not like someone died or the ship sank. His bosses obviously thought enough of him to keep his career moving up the ladder.

Seriously, who complains about stuff like this? There are 6000 people on a carrier at sea. There are no less than what? 10 O-6's on board, an admiral, 3-4 chaplains, and 25+ O-5's...and none of them logged any complaints. So, some faggoty junior seaman squaks to the IG the week after DADT gets repealed and this warrior's carrier is under fire.

Hopefully the people with stars on their collar have enough balls to let this complaint dry up and blow away.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
It's not like is was a secret. It was broadcast throughout the ship on a near weekly basis and he was promoted to Skipper of the E. Sounds like he may be the first victim of the repeal of DADT.

On a side note, where does an XO of a CV get the time to do something like that?
This could have been released years before DADT and he still would have been crushed for that video.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
This thing really pisses me off. Let the warriors be warriors and everyone else should shut up about it. I have no respect for the Virginian Pilot now either.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
This is just another example of politcal correctness being more important than leadership and mission accomplishment. Capt. Honors will be rail-roaded out of command and the Navy will lose another one of the "good guys".

I am also greatly disappointed in Ward Carroll, a former fighter puke and author, who was quoted in the linked article. Although I don't know him personally, I knew his reputation and enjoyed his books. But he has now lost my respect as he succumbs to the PC gods.

Ward Carroll, an aviator who flew with Honors, called the embattled officer "one of the good guys" but said he doesn't expect him to be the commander of the Enterprise when it deploys this month.
"I was disappointed, both professionally and personally, that he wantonly and with great prejudice walked across the lines that exist," said Carroll, who is now editor of Military.com. "I don't see there's any way he stays in command."

I don't think political correctness and leadership/mission accomplishment should be viewed as mutually exclusive. As part of the front-office leadership, he sets the tone (or at least that's what they tell us JOs). This video, while probably funny to most, certainly and self-knowingly alienated some of the sailors under the then-XO's command. I don't see how knowingly alienating and offending any of your sailors sets the right tone for this or any era's Navy. This officer didn't just "foolishly throw in a few F-bombs." This was a heavily edited video. I hope the argument about this does not get hijacked by the "warriors play by different rules" mentality. Are we not supposed to cary our belief in professionalism with us, whether it be in civvies, the office, or on the battlefield/battleship?

Clux4

Banned
I can see how this video is offensive to some people. I think some of its content's are a little bit over the top for an O-6, more like something I would expect from a JO. I think being conservative is the best policy.
Looks to me like someone is just trying to get even with the Captain. Probably a gay Seaman who is counting on the new found support from the repeal of DADT . Quite unfortunate but he will not make this.

Status
Not open for further replies.