• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DEP = enlisted? Before OCS?

baryon

Sorry to bug you guys again, but I did a 10 minute search on AW to see if I could find the answer, and I couldn't:

I was final-selected for pilot today. My processor tells me that when I go to swear in and sign papers etc., I'll be enlisting. Since I started this process, I've learned to be very wary of the words "enlist," "enlisting," and "enlistment."

I just want to make sure before I sign something--this is legitimate, right? (*)One actually does "enlist" before going to OCS as a pilot (or most other designators)? Should I be concerned?

Finally, is DEP the same thing as being enlisted, and is that what one does when one does (*)?

Thanks again.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't go to OCS, so not sure on that question, but DEP = Delayed Enlistment Program. For example, you're a high school student that wants to enlist when they graduate, you can "enlist" under DEP until you graduate and then you go to bootcamp.

MinesFO

Newest NFO
None
You have to enlist to go to OCS…you are an officer candidate; otherwise the Navy wouldn’t know how to pay you. You are the equivalent to an E-5 while at OCS if you are fresh from the street. Once you have finished OCS you terminate your enlistment and swear in as an officer. If for some reason you don’t make it through OCS for medical reasons or something, they will process you out of OCS and let you re-join the civilian world. This is unless you owe the Navy time because you were BDCP or something and quit or get kicked out. If you owe the Navy money or time, they will want it back.

My class had someone who had been in OCS for 22 weeks and got kicked out for faking hurt a couple times. She had received money through BDCP for a couple years, so they sent her off to enlisted boot camp. She is now an E-3 and in Great Lakes. Take it seriously, but that is just an extreme situation from someone that neither had the leadership skills to become an officer nor the willingness to put in the required work.

Congratulations on getting accepted and let me know if you have any questions from someone who just went through OCS.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "Dep".

baryon

Mines, thanks a bunch. That's pretty much what I wanted to hear.

Since I am coming "fresh off the street," and don't owe the Navy any time, should I expect my contract to reflect that?

DEP = delayed entry program, which my processor also said I'll be in as soon as I get my papers filled out (and sworn in?).

What's the deal with swearing in before going to OCS? Is there an obligation associated to that?

Thanks for your time.

MinesFO

Newest NFO
None
They just make you swear in to make you part of the military, and then you are just waiting until your orders say to report. If you can't make it through OCS b/c you DOR or are medically disqualified (which you shouldn't be worrying about anyway), they will let you out once the paperwork is processed.

You will be fine, and they aren't going to try and screw you over...unless you call having a awesome career in the navy getting screwed over.

scarnuts

OUCH!
You have to enlist to go to OCS…you are an officer candidate; otherwise the Navy wouldn’t know how to pay you. You are the equivalent to an E-5 while at OCS if you are fresh from the street. Once you have finished OCS you terminate your enlistment and swear in as an officer. If for some reason you don’t make it through OCS for medical reasons or something, they will process you out of OCS and let you re-join the civilian world. This is unless you owe the Navy time because you were BDCP or something and quit or get kicked out. If you owe the Navy money or time, they will want it back.

My class had someone who had been in OCS for 22 weeks and got kicked out for faking hurt a couple times. She had received money through BDCP for a couple years, so they sent her off to enlisted boot camp. She is now an E-3 and in Great Lakes. Take it seriously, but that is just an extreme situation from someone that neither had the leadership skills to become an officer nor the willingness to put in the required work.

Congratulations on getting accepted and let me know if you have any questions from someone who just went through OCS.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "Dep".

Funny story. They always threatened this type of stuff, but I have never seen it in person. Good on them. LOL

MinesFO

Newest NFO
None
Yeah, she got us in trouble for leaving her locker unlocked and having contraband in it too... and then she did it a second time right before we were candidate officers. There is nothing like coming back from class and seeing a rifle upside down in the sand pit and knowing you are about to have a horrible work-out. Her room was hurricaned by one of the Gunnery Sergeants, it was the biggest mess I had ever seen. She had a bunch of lotions and stuff and they were emptied all over the walls, ceiling and windows. We had to re-paint part of the room to cover it up. It was amazing. We always think about her when we hear that song, ‘Junk in your Trunk’.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Since I am coming "fresh off the street," and don't owe the Navy any time, should I expect my contract to reflect that?

DEP = delayed entry program, which my processor also said I'll be in as soon as I get my papers filled out (and sworn in?).

What's the deal with swearing in before going to OCS? Is there an obligation associated to that?

I was an off the street OCS guy, and basically DEP accounts for the time between your swearing in, and when you actually go on active duty (the day you leave for OCS). Basically, it puts me in the USNR without pay...whatever.

Your contract won't have the portion saying if you DOR from OCS you'll be an E-2 going to great lakes...the NUPOC and BDCP stuff has that.

The only real obligation you have once you swear in, is that once you get to OCS, you'll do at least 4 weeks before you can DOR. That's basically it. Also, it's not all that binding, because our class had 4 people who didn't bother showing, so I guess it's still possible to bail at the last minute.

While we're talkin' about dirtbags, there was a BDCP guy who rolled into my class who said if it wasn't for the BDCP money and having to go to Great Lakes, he would have DOR'd after 4th week. Now that's class.

MinesFO

Newest NFO
None
They will let you DOR in the first few days too, but that is pretty lame. You should know enough about OCS before you show up to DOR at all.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
They will let you DOR in the first few days too, but that is pretty lame.

Right, but if you do that, don't they basically hold you up in regiment for a while? Y'know, those guys who stroll around in civivies looking like they hate life?

MinesFO

Newest NFO
None
If you DOR or are Med DQd or anything they put you in student pool and you get to walk around wearing the white polos while they process your paperwork. When I was a candi-o we had a guy from the Indoc class DOR after being there for 4 hours.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
You will be fine, and they aren't going to try and screw you over...unless you callhaving a awesome career in the navy getting screwed over.

Dang it, Ensign. You will have an awesome career, NOT, if you keep using grammar like that.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
They will let you DOR in the first few days too, but that is pretty lame. You should know enough about OCS before you show up to DOR at all.

Among the things that I learned while being stashed at PSD with a broke leg.

They tell you during the first few days, "requests to DOR are not normally entertained until the 5th week". However, if anyone ever says the letters D-O-R to a staff member they'll get pulled out in a matter of minutes.

The guys in student pool are usually waiting on paperwork. The occational scumbag (like the guy with 103 hits on RLP, yes thats a score of -3) will get held up until someone decides to send him to Great Lakes, but for the most part its all processing. A classes in-processing (putting you in the system, getting you paid, getting you "in the navy" on paper) takes a few weeks to get done. Then they have to out process you which takes equally long. Occationally the staff will ask PSD to prioritize the out-processing (most often for genuine medical cases) but other than that, student pool paperwork goes to the bottom of the pile.

Lesson: don't go to OCS just to DOR.

MinesFO

Newest NFO
None
The guys in student pool are important; if they all leave too quickly there isn’t anyone to clean the upstairs of Regiment.