• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dental

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Many moons ago, I snapped my right front tooth in half. The dentist made some type of a fake lower half, and cemented it in place. I was told that I would need to get a cap put on in the near future. Before I head to TBS, I'd like to get the cap put on the right, and a veneer on the left to make them match. I was wondering if having caps/crowns/veneers could present any type of problem in flight school. I've already passed my flight physical, but am unsure if there is any type of follow-on once I get to flight school.

Thanks for any input.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Nope. I have to get a cap on one of my teeth. Veneers aren't an issue either because that was looked into as well.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Get the cap and veneer done--they'll be way better than any filling or cement.

I had a major chips in both of my front teeth from a youthful mishap. It was filled in with composite. I snapped off the fillings during a swim qual while inflating my lobes. The military dentist told me,"You can just get veneers for that, instead." Been great ever since.

Deror

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I suppose the next order of business I need to look into is how soon I'll have insurance since TBS will be several months after commissioning.

usmc_stud

pilot
I know that after commissioning through ROTC I was not active duty and therefore was not covered by Tricare until I reported to TBS, so you'll probably have to wait. But getting a cap will only take two visits, neither of which will "down" you medically, unless you choose to get anisthetics (which aren't necessary).

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I have the same thing only on my front left tooth. I was chewing gum on final in to Dothan on my advanced cross country and it broke off about 12 feet above the ground. It was a pretty uncomfortable feeling... And then I had to walk around Nashville all week looking like a hillbilly. Go for the cap.

Deror

Thanks for the info gentlemen. For those of you who have had work done on your teeth, do you remember the percentage that tricare paid? I googled it, but the percentage covered seems to be dependent on if the work is categorized as elective or not.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If you're active duty, dental is gratis, as long as it is necessary care--can't get a tricked-out grill on Sam's dime. Some cosmetic stuff is GTG, others not. If the dentist can plausibly say that the work enhances dental health, you're fine.

If you're a dependent, you will have a wicked copay from United Concordia, not Tricare.

Reservist, or on reserve status waiting TBS? I won't show my ass by explaining that business.

Deror

Thanks. I'd bet that the cap would be deemed necessary. Kind of doubt that the veneer would be though. I'm still a civilian, but will hopefully be picking up PTAD in October before TBS. I'll probably wait until TBS to get it done, just to save the OSO I'll work for some paperwork since it really isn't a pressing issue.

Thanks again.