• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dental Crown Question

NavyFlier325

I've searched a lot of this forum and most of the internet and don't think it will be a problem, but I wanted to make sure of that.

I have a chipped tooth (upper central incisor). It has been chipped since I was nine years old, and by chipped I mean only about half of it is there. I've cleared MEPS just fine but I am finally in a position financially to get it fixed once and for all. I confirmed with my dentist that all I would need is a crown. My question is if I get this done (it would only take two weeks), would that disqualify me from the Navy? Going further, would that disqualify me from aviation? As its purely aesthetic, I want to make absolutely sure that I won't get DQ'd for having it done.

NavyFlier325

Well my insurance is willing to pay for a large portion of it, and I am under the impression that the navy isn't going to pay for an aesthetics only replacement. There is nothing wrong with the actual tooth other than its only half there.

exNavyOffRec

Well my insurance is willing to pay for a large portion of it, and I am under the impression that the navy isn't going to pay for an aesthetics only replacement. There is nothing wrong with the actual tooth other than its only half there.

The navy dentist did my crown, in fact I watched it being made right there in the office, pretty cool machine to watch it take a square block of porcelain and make it into part of a tooth.

NavyFlier325

The navy dentist did my crown, in fact I watched it being made right there in the office, pretty cool machine to watch it take a square block of porcelain and make it into part of a tooth.
Oh I believe they do the actual crowns of you need them. But what I'm saying is mine is purely aesthetic and so I somehow don't think it would be the same. If they do, however, give me a free crown, then that's even better.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I've searched a lot of this forum and most of the internet and don't think it will be a problem, but I wanted to make sure of that.

I have a chipped tooth (upper central incisor). It has been chipped since I was nine years old, and by chipped I mean only about half of it is there. I've cleared MEPS just fine but I am finally in a position financially to get it fixed once and for all. I confirmed with my dentist that all I would need is a crown. My question is if I get this done (it would only take two weeks), would that disqualify me from the Navy? Going further, would that disqualify me from aviation? As its purely aesthetic, I want to make absolutely sure that I won't get DQ'd for having it done.
I have chipped my front two upper teeth 6 times in my lifetime. I have had them bonded each time. In a checkup a couple of years ago the dentist tried to push me to get crowns, I told him I'll consider it next time the bonds break. Now every check-up they ask me when I'm scheduling my crowns, and I tell them whenever my teeth break.

So no, crowns won't DQ you. Also, the Navy will cover work on your teeth.

PS: Drill it in your head that you are going to say no when the oral surgeon asks you if you want synthetic cheek implants after being given narcotics. Happened to a buddy of mine and he's going back to get them removed.

NavyFlier325

Well that seems like great news. I didn't think they would fix them for an only aesthetic purpose. I would obviously rather have it done on someone else's dime than mine, I just figured it was unrealistic.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
When they discussed crowns with me, the timeline was months to complete the process.

You have a better chance of a quality job being done quickly on the outside. If you've got the money for it it, I'd get it done now instead of waiting for years to get it done (don't plan on them wanting to do it during training unless they have to).

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got one of my crowns done while I was a student in PCOLA. I worked with the schedules officer and sniveled for my recurring dental appointments. No big deal, and YES, the Navy will do all your dental work for free (2 posts & crowns [ROOT CANALS!! Ouch], 2 bridges and 1 other crown).