• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Denied NROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormee67

WHOA !!! OK, I am completely bummed out and I don't know what to do right now. I was just informed that NROTC denied me. I had my entire sight set on NROTC. My application was airtight, grades were top, SAT's excellent, Sea Cadets, Varsity, etc..... I did everything upto now for the purpose of acceptance of NROTC, 4 year degree, officer, flight school, pilot, life'r in the Navy.

Does anyone have any suggestions or options for me. The reason they gave was "Affimative Action". I nearly dropped the phone when the guy told me...

what gives and what options do I have ??

Help !

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Sorry to hear you didn't get the scholarship. What you can do is to contact the unit of your choice and tell them you are interested in the college program. You are still part of the unit like the scholarship students, only you will have to provide your own means of paying for college. During your freshman year you can apply for a 3 year scholarship. For the three year, the only thing that is looked at are your college grades and the reccomendation of the unit's commanding officer. If you do well your first semester and distinguish yourself in the unit, you have a really good shot at getting the three year scholarship.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
DO THE COLLEGE PROGRAM!!!!!! I cannot stress that enough. If NROTC is what you want, doing college prgram will help you tremendously in getting a scholarship during the next boards. Not only that, you will still get to partake in the reg unit events and get to start learning about the navy.

Good luck

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
stormee67 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions or options for me. The reason they gave was "Affimative Action". I nearly dropped the phone when the guy told me...
what gives and what options do I have ??

That's the way it works a lot of the time- every department of the government has quotas to fill, and the military is no different. At least they were honest with you. Good Advice from Red2 though. If the navy is what you want, i encourage you to do it that way. If you want to go look to someone else, do it and remember its the navy's loss and not yours.

stormee67

Red.. thank you !!

Have your or anyone else heard of appealing the decision...Letter to the NROTC Board, etc asking for a second consideration ?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
stormee67 said:
Red.. thank you !!

Have your or anyone else heard of appealing the decision...Letter to the NROTC Board, etc asking for a second consideration ?

The way the boards work are if you are "denied" for one, you move onto the next board (which is partly why they encourage applying early, so you can get as many considerations as possible), until there are no more scholarships. The advice posted above is the best advice, go join a NROTC unit, and if you do good, chances are you'll get a 3-year scholarship. This in no way means you are shut out from NROTC! College Program is a great way to get your foot in the door and pickup a 3 year scholarship and a commission. Good luck.

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
Also remember, if you go college program, and apply for scholarship, and dont get it, you can go for advanced standing, which guaruntees a commission (pending graduation, grades, etc) it is the same as 2 year scholarship but they dont pay for school, just the 300+ dollars a month stipend. Advanced standing is not so competetive.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Like others said, go for the college program. I didn't have the grades for a 4 year scholarship out of high school, went CP then picked up a 2 year scholarship my sophmore year in college. Jagges84 is right as well that if a scholarship doesn't come your way, advanced standing can get you in the door as well. I know a few aviators who went that route.

stormee67

Hey Dan... thank you !

My top three were : University of Washington ( Accepted )
University of Colorado, Boulder ( pending )
University of Colorado, Denver ( Pending )

What do you think ?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Go to Boulder, I did and I loved every second of it (except for when I was in class) and it is a top notch NROTC unit.

DMeix

High School Peon
University of Washinton at Seattle

I've been accepted there and got the NROTC scholarship. I'm gonna use it if I don't get the USNA appointment.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Just like these other guys said, Dont get bummed out just because you didd'nt pick up a scholarship. I was a transfer student, joined the Unit and picked up a PNS scholarship (leadership scholorship). This is the one scholarship that is controled by the Professor of Naval Science (Unit CO) and is pretty much a sure thing once you get appointed one, pending that you dont DQ medically or have a history of making homemade explosives in the shed behind your house. But Definatly be sure to join the unit, put forth the effort to get your name enblazened in the heads of the unit staff and give it a 110% and you'll be good to go. Sounds like you want it bad, if this is true, it will show and you will be rewarded.

PS - It helps to have an engineering major as well.

Navy's EO Policy - No Affirmative Action

stormee67 said:

As far as I know, the Navy does not have an affirmative action policy. I've heard this explicitly from multiple recruiters. What they WILL do is spend more time looking for minorities and women in the application process in order to try to better represent the population as a whole. However, once one has applied, acceptance, promotions, you name it... are solely based on merit (at least officially).

Here is the Navy's Equal Opportunity statement:
http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupport/Diversity/EqualOpportunity/

I'd look into the reasons for your not getting accepted a little more. Someone was probably mistaken (there's a lot of that in the recruiting world). Oh, and I agree with doing the college program. A little money spent now is certainly worth the benefits down the road.

Along these lines, this is kind of interesting:
http://www.adversity.net/military.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.