• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Denied by Navy. Do I have a shot with the Marines?

Ric Hard

Just found out that I was not accepted for SNA or NFO with the Navy. Very disappointed. Reason being my G.P.A. What are my chances of becoming an officer in the Marines. Finishing my application with them on 5/5/06 and am concerned if I am just wasting my time and the Marines time. I know I am officer material. I just need to have the opportunity to show someone. Any insight or help would be appreciated. My package looks somwhat like this:

ASTB: OAR 50 5/5/6
G.P.A.: 2.44
LOR's: 1 Navy Chief, 1 Marine Master Gunny, 3 College Professors, 1 Boeing Executive
Worked full time while putting myself through school.
Pft not done yet but should max out everything.
Degree: B.S. in Aerospace Studies - Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't think applying is ever a waste of time (unless you're completely uneligible because you're missing a leg, or a raging homo). You won't know unless you go for it. Good luck!

Wankertank

Free Hat!
You are to going have to go NFO with USMC if you wanna get up in the air...unless you have some prior duty. You already being 27 puts SNA out of reach. Based on some of the other selections Ive seen on this board for NFO you might stand a chance...that GPA really hurts tho. But you will never know if you dont apply...so get crackin!

Falker

Not Air Force
I was accepted through PLC with a 2.66 GPA, with near what you have for everything else, anything is possible.

kanakAttack

how much for the ape?
I was told that for Marine SNA you need to get commissioned by 27 1/2 years of age. I also was told that if you are within a few months of that an age waiver is possible. I'm 27 and according to my OSO's assistant got into OCC 193 for SNA (so I'll commission before 28 but after 27.5 years of age). I haven’t heard anything about having to do any kind of age waiver yet but maybe that is something they handle on their end. I assume you would be applying for OCC 193 (October start date) in the August board so consider studying some more for the ASTB and trying to up those numbers before the package goes in and also do you best to get a perfect on the PFT. I think really high scores on the PFT are necessary for older applicants such as us. My stats are on the OCC 193 thread if you are interested along with some others who were pre-selected for 193. Since you've already put an app in w/ the Navy it shouldn't be too much work to do one for the Marines. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there if this is what you want to do. They can't say yes if you don't apply and the worst they can do is say no. If they do say no and you still want to do military aviation look into the Army's Warrant Officer Aviation Program, they have higher age limits and a B.S. isn't even required so having one is a bonus to your app. Best of luck!

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Put in a package right now...I would think you have a shot...there are RPs in the FRS here (Marines) that are 31 or 32 so they got commissioned right about when you would if you got commissioned...it is possible I think...

Spin

SNA in Meridian
27and 1/2 is the age for Pilot and NFO. I was 28 when my package got accepted and 28 and a half when I got commissioned (2004). I'll probably be 32 almost 33 when I get out of the RAG (FRS). At the time I got accepted USMC wasn't granting age waivers for anyone 29 or over so if it's the same you should be fine on that end (I'm living poof).

I also got denied by the Navy and then got into USMC. Now .... I really didn't even know the Marines had an air program until my NAVY recruiter told me to check it out. But .... you need to RESEARCH the USMC and make sure it's the right fit for you as it is WAAAAAY different from the NAVY. NOT BETTER OR WORSE ...... JUST DIFFERENT!!!!

I'm glad that I got USMC as opposed to NAVY as I am a more physical person and the mentality fits me more so than the NAVY. But look into it .... you will have to go to TBS first and do all this Ricky Recon stuff. I enjoyed it but you might not want to do a 15 mile hump or get gassed, hazed and degraded by those around you in the attempt to teach you.

Good luck and if you have any more questions feel free to hit me up.

Peace,

-Spin

zuggerat

i got rejected by the navy and the marines picked me up... im 10X happier with the marines than i ever was with the navy. from what i saw the navy's recruiting methods are horrible and grossly unprofessional, no disrepect to anyone that is offended but this is what i saw. i was extremely impressed with the quickness, professionalism, and care that was associated with my application and my potential career, the USMC OSOs are a world of difference. i didnt even pass my first PFT and i dont have the best grades and i still got the respect and attention that i deserved.

i will assure you that if you go into the OSOs office and you show that ur determined to get a slot and you want it more than anything else theyre gonna notice and their gonna push for you because they know this is what u want. im gonna put my money that i didnt get lucky with my oso and that most of them are gonna see that u wanna be part of something bigger than just You and YOUR career.

so my advice to you would be to be a ball of fire and even a huge pain in the ass in some instances, just never take no or maybe for an answer. know what you want and work as hard as you possibly can for it, they will notice.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
zuggerat said:
from what i saw the navy's recruiting methods are horrible and grossly unprofessional, no disrepect to anyone that is offended but this is what i saw.

I don't doubt it. But be careful to generalize the entire Navy's recruiting force. Your office may have sucked, and that's too bad.

Ric Hard

I am definately a very physical guy and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Marines. Maybe the Marines will be a better fit for me. Bottom line is I love being an American and it's is time for me to go to work for my country. I can only hope that everything works out and I recieve a spot.

zuggerat

Thisguy said:
I don't doubt it. But be careful to generalize the entire Navy's recruiting force. Your office may have sucked, and that's too bad.

sorry thisguy, i knew i was gonna be playing with fire... but they actually did me a fav. cause now im happier where i am... regardless, my bad

maineiac515

OCC 193
I too was rejected by the navy and the Marines picked me up. I was told that an SNA acceptance was way out of reach for me, by the Navy recruiters. So 5 months later I have an SNA contract with the Marines for OCC 193. But research is indeed the key. As stated the Marines are different and perhaps takes a different mentality, you have to want it bad. Point is, it is possible to be rejected by the navy and find a place with the Marines.

Good luck