• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Democracy at work in House of Representatives?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
What about it? You're not suggesting that Article I, Section 8 is the basis for Congress's responsibility to provide funding for new roads, urban renewal projects, and schools are you?

No, I am not suggesting that Article I, Section 8 is the basis for Congress's responsibility to do those things, I'm stating that it's the basis for Congress's authority to do those things.

Clux4

Banned
And that in there lies the problem. It's not the government's responsibility to take care of us. I want the government to step aside so I can't take care of myself and for anybody else around me that I choose to.

"Taking care" of yourself and everyone around you could ultimately result in greed. The little man is being left behind as everyone is "taking care" of themselves. Everyone is always honest, it is usually the next guy.

SkywardET

Contrarian
So was it right? No. But spare me the outrage, unless you want me to pull out more examples of Congress and other parts of the government doing dumb stuff, it is pretty damn easy to do with both parties.
Seriously? Your stance is, "How dare you be outraged when others are just as corrupt," really?

Moral equivalency has nothing to do with this, whatsoever. The fundamental lack of integrity in Washington D.C. will be what allows the Visigoths in. I'm not just talking about "Congressman" Murtha, nor about Congress in general. Name me an honest politician and you've done a rare thing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously? Your stance is, "How dare you be outraged when others are just as corrupt," really?

Moral equivalency has nothing to do with this, whatsoever. The fundamental lack of integrity in Washington D.C. will be what allows the Visigoths in. I'm not just talking about "Congressman" Murtha, nor about Congress in general. Name me an honest politician and you've done a rare thing.

And who are these modern Visigoths, exactly?

Brett

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
This thread just further proves the point: old people should not drive, or be our political leaders. There comes a time where you just acknowledge you're nearing your expiration date, and let people with their wits run the country.:eek: Makes me sick.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Where is lee Harvey when we need him? Murtha is a disgrace to Congress & the uniform he once wore.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where is lee Harvey when we need him? Murtha is a disgrace to Congress & the uniform he once wore.

You have got to be fucking kidding me, even hinting at assassination is reprehensible. :(

Fog

None
Contributor
You have got to be fucking kidding me, even hinting at assassination is reprehensible. :(QUOTE]

(a) satire = trenchant wit, irony or sarcasm used to expose & discredit vice or folly (Webster's Collegiate Dictionary)

(b) hyperbole = extravagant exaggeration used for effect (same source)

Flash-O: Pls consider the above, and I beg you not to call the black helicopter squadron to my humble abode just yet. Thanks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
(a) satire = trenchant wit, irony or sarcasm used to expose & discredit vice or folly (Webster's Collegiate Dictionary)

(b) hyperbole = extravagant exaggeration used for effect (same source)

Flash-O: Pls consider the above, and I beg you not to call the black helicopter squadron to my humble abode just yet. Thanks.

Yeah, because assassination is just so funny.......:eek:

Fog

None
Contributor
I don't want to destroy the Christmas mood we are all in, but in the real world stuff happens to nations because of actions taken by its leaders. In that context, I deplore in the strongest manner possible the way in which John Murtha chose to conduct the House of Representatives' business that particular day.

On another note, in the US Navy which I served for 21 years (6 active/15 flying-drilling reserves), we practiced killing people just about every day. That's what naval aviators do. That's (ultimately) what you do when you raise your right arm & later get a set of gold wings.

I could have found my way to the Peace Corps or the Salvation Army if that had been my calling.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Taking care" of yourself and everyone around you could ultimately result in greed. The little man is being left behind as everyone is "taking care" of themselves. Everyone is always honest, it is usually the next guy.
Well, if I want to be greedy and accumulate as much wealth as I possibly can, it's really none of your business to say otherwise. If the "little man" is being left behind, then he needs to step up and make something happen for himself. This is what is called "personal responsibility."

rookie7734

None
Recently, the head of the powerful union, SEIU hit the nail on the head..."we will have our way, either through the power of persuasion or the persuasion of power..."

It is unfortunate that this stuff still plays out today. But, it is not new. If you read any history, John C. Calhoun (former senator, and Vice-President, 1800's from South Carolina) got into many fist fights on the senate floor over issues of the day.

I don't like Murtha, but at least he didn't come down from the podium and get into a fist fight...although that would have been entertaining.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, I am not suggesting that Article I, Section 8 is the basis for Congress's responsibility to do those things, I'm stating that it's the basis for Congress's authority to do those things.
Not just no, but hell no. Because the Constitution is very specific in the powers that are delegated to the Federal government and none of the items mentioned fall within those powers specifically delegated, I can only assume you are referencing the good 'ol stand by's (General Welfare Clause and/or Commerce Clause) for pushing funding for bullshit programs though.