• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Demand for Supply Officer

PhillipC

I was just curious why becoming a Supply Officer has such a demand in the Navy. I'm currently in the Army trying to switch over to the Navy and I can tell you Supply is not a job to many people want in the Army.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I was just curious why becoming a Supply Officer has such a demand in the Navy. I'm currently in the Army trying to switch over to the Navy and I can tell you Supply is not a job to many people want in the Army.

1. Various opportunities (logistics, finance/accounting, personnel, etc.)
2. Prestigious (many current CEOs are former Navy SUPPOs)
3. See the world (falls into the whole Navy thing)
4. Opportunities to get your MBA/masters down the road.

Renegade One

None
Plus you may get to work directly with overseas "Husbanding Agents/Companies"…like Fat Leonard. Think hookers and blow… :cool:

Reactions: MR

PhillipC

I was just mostly curious why one job in one branch is not prestigious and in another it was. I personally wouldn't want to be supply, but it is a great job nonetheless.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Prestigious" might be stretching it a bit. But there aren't many Chops on most ships (I've never seen more than two on a CRUDES), so you have a chance to stick out and work semi-independently. Navy SUPPOS handle a lot of things that are handled by different MOS's in the Army - logistics, finance, retail, hoteling, transport, etc. Basically, you learn a lot of skills that are directly and easily transferrable to the outside world. You can walk into an interview with Amazon or Target and tell them, what you do here, I did all that, in the middle of the Pacific, when I was 27.

PhillipC

"Prestigious" might be stretching it a bit. But there aren't many Chops on most ships (I've never seen more than two on a CRUDES), so you have a chance to stick out and work semi-independently. Navy SUPPOS handle a lot of things that are handled by different MOS's in the Army - logistics, finance, retail, hoteling, transport, etc. Basically, you learn a lot of skills that are directly and easily transferrable to the outside world. You can walk into an interview with Amazon or Target and tell them, what you do here, I did all that, in the middle of the Pacific, when I was 27.
This was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you for your reply, I was not aware Navy SUPPOS had all those extra duties.

Renegade One

None
This was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you for your reply, I was not aware Navy SUPPOS had all those extra duties.
Maybe not all at one time or in every billet, but yeah…Navy Supply Corps is a much broader, multi-faceted branch than any one of the other branches/MOSs/AFSCs in our sister services. Plus, the SC warfare devices are cooler…if that's a consideration.

N4Life

One of the benefits of Supply is that they are not limited to one community. The first tour might be on a Sub, the second at an air squadron, the third with SeALs or EOD, the fourth with the SeaBees, Fifth working at a Marine command, and Sixth on a boat. Most will not get anywhere near this broad but it is a possibility/benefit.

SC warfare devices are cooler
That might be pushing things, they are definitely more expensive than their related community devices

SWOMan

4. Opportunities to get your MBA/masters down the road.
Meh someone can get there MBA from any officer slot in any branch of the military. Most Branches don't see much difference in your application, you still get treated special and put in the military stack.... unless you did something awesome like Seals or fighter pilot( looks like this site is gonna do well) then it's even easier than ever to get into a place like harvard

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meh someone can get there MBA from any officer slot in any branch of the military. Most Branches don't see much difference in your application, you still get treated special and put in the military stack.... unless you did something awesome like Seals or fighter pilot( looks like this site is gonna do well) then it's even easier than ever to get into a place like harvard

image.jpeg