• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Delete your home address from County records in Texas

Toolip

Retired
Short version:

1) Print Form 50-284 “Request for confidentiality under tax code”

2) Fill out form, check box for Armed Forces

3) Deliver to your county tax assessor collector

4) Enjoy fewer terrorists, ex girlfriends, and junk mail arriving at your house

Long version:

Background: a few years ago Al-Qaeda put out a “hit list” and urged it’s followers to attack US Military personnel stateside, including the home addresses of 100 military members.

“the information circulated in the ISHD “hit list” was most likely obtained by scouring publicly available information on the Internet, as well as purchasing specialized public databases and other online public information services that provide the sorts of details on individuals that is contained on the service members included on the list.”

https://www.hstoday.us/channels/glo...issued-by-jihadists-service-members-on-alert/

After the hitlist came out, Texas began allowing Military personnel to request that their name and home address be removed from the publicly available search engines usually run by your county’s tax assessor collector.

An added bonus is that you will receive much less junk mail. Many data sellers source their address lists from those county websites.

Attachments

• 50-284.pdf
    395.3 KB · Views: 11

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
China has built themselves a very robust HUMINT targeting database courtesy of their breaches of OPM and Equifax.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
What are the chances there's a version of this for CA and AZ....?

VMO4

Be careful in trusting these. I used to work in law enforcement, and every state has a statute similar to this which blocks personal information on select groups such as cops, judges, etc,,,(military in this case). What the statutes do is block the info from the government run search engines, like exists in the courthouse , or on line now. They do not effect the private "spider" software programs that have been searching this data for years. I used to routinely wins bets with my co workers who said they did this and then in 5 minutes on my IPAD I would show them their address and their wife's name, etc...I do a bunch of genealogical research and have several paid subscription services to conduct these searches. Anybody smart enough to build a bomb is smart enough to pay 59.99 for a year of access to a data base that does not fall under your protection statute. I am not saying don't take advantage, but they only block the terminally lazy from finding you , not the half way intelligent with a credit card and an Internet connection. Sorry....

Toolip

Retired
Be careful in trusting these. I used to work in law enforcement, and every state has a statute similar to this which blocks personal information on select groups such as cops, judges, etc,,,(military in this case). What the statutes do is block the info from the government run search engines, like exists in the courthouse , or on line now. They do not effect the private "spider" software programs that have been searching this data for years. I used to routinely wins bets with my co workers who said they did this and then in 5 minutes on my IPAD I would show them their address and their wife's name, etc...I do a bunch of genealogical research and have several paid subscription services to conduct these searches. Anybody smart enough to build a bomb is smart enough to pay 59.99 for a year of access to a data base that does not fall under your protection statute. I am not saying don't take advantage, but they only block the terminally lazy from finding you , not the half way intelligent with a credit card and an Internet connection. Sorry....

That might be true but I have been successful delivering the confidentiality request at time of purchase. This should prevent those data sellers from ever adding you and your home address to their database.

VMO4

I doubt it, but that is just my experience. I have never not found someone I was looking for, even people who work across the bay from me at MacDill AFB in one of those buildings, that I know are there, but don't show up on google Earth. If someone wants to find you to do harm, they have no qualms with filling out a request for a credit report in your name, and these confidentiality requests have no effect on them. Good luck!!

Toolip

Retired
You must be a lot of fun at parties!

I’m just trying to help fellow Gold Wingers keep a low profile as allowed by Texas law. I have personally used this form and ”disappeared” off the County website and property searches within 24 hours.

VMO4

I think I am a blast at parties, thank you, I think "gold wingers" should be able to make informed decisions, those statutes work great for the County website and property searches like you mentioned. I am just saying those systems are about 5 percent of the ways to look for people. Party on Wayne!!!!

VMO4

I agree.....but public records are just a speck on the wall. Put your kids in a private school?, they run a credit report on you, Lease a car?, credit report, Mortgage?, credit report, wife work at a hospital?, pre school?, .....credit report, toll booth transponder attached to your credit card, .....credit report...List your name on your high school kid's emergency contact for soccer?, all this info is stored electronically, and is mined through both legal and illegal methods, and ends up on paid access databases, and don't forget the FAA's airmen search function. Not trying to be alarmist, but in 30 years of LEO work and practicing law, I was always able to find who I needed to find, and that included people who made it their life's work to remain hidden. Life is to short to worry about every contingency of modern life. Breath in, breath out, move on...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
wife work at a hospital?

Interesting you say this, and you're in FL. I'm not arguing your overall point, but my wife's credit report hasn't seen such a thing, or at least it hasn't affected anything. And yes, she likes to laud over me her extra 30-some points on her credit report. I think we're both in agreement it's her 19 different store credit cards. Lord knows she's got a lot of them, but at least they're all paid off.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If you’re worried about state actors coming after you on U.S. soil, the deterrence factor is so strong you don’t need to worry about it. It could be an act of war and not worth their escalation. This naval officer deliberately targeted the GRU (when he was still a civilian before joining the Navy), wrote a tell-all book about it, and is doing just fine.

If you’re worried about ISIS wannabees running around CONUS and coming after you like a ninja, then a gun, a dog, and some decent door locks in your house should probably be enough to keep you safe at night.

I’d be more way more worried if you somehow became a highlighted target of some sophisticated nonstate actor, such as the mafia (Cosa Nostra), street gang (MS-13), biker gang (Hells Angels), or drug cartel (CJNG).