• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Delaying OCS shipping date?

NavyBlu

Hello everybody,

So I have been looking on this forum and I don't seem to find a similar situation as mine. So here it is:

It is worth mentioning at this point that I didn't really know at the time, the application process would take so long (PRO REC, FINSEL, etc.). I thought that once you were selected you would ship the next month or something, but now I now better. I have seen some people that attend OCS 8 months after they are PRO RECed!

I am applying for Pilot/NFO, as many already know the next board is some time in July. Back in February (the original board I was trying to make) I applied and was accepted to Graduate school, It's a 3 semester program so I can do it in a year. I really did this more as a back up in case I don't get picked up for OCS.

With the selection board being in July, plus the 6-8 months after the board to attend OCS, that is a lot of time in between. Graduate school was only a back up but things changed after missing two boards. Assuming I get PRO RECed (and I am only making that assumption to plan for any scenario), Can I get a delay on when I ship off to OCS? or when I receive my FINSEL? I don't want to give up an opportunity for being commissioned, NO WAY. But I figured if I will wait 6-8 months might as well just wait a whole year and get a masters while I am at it. I am only 24 right now so I am not age critical which further makes me think they will not send me to an OCS class date any time soon.

Thanks!

Pwinslow

From the looks of the purgatory/ FINSEL thread, pilots have only had to wait 2-4 months after there pro-rec Y, while SWO's and NFO's have had to wait the 6-8 months since they had a big backlog in class slots.

Also the SNA/NFO boards are rolling so it may convene as early as June.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello everybody,

So I have been looking on this forum and I don't seem to find a similar situation as mine. So here it is:

It is worth mentioning at this point that I didn't really know at the time, the application process would take so long (PRO REC, FINSEL, etc.). I thought that once you were selected you would ship the next month or something, but now I now better. I have seen some people that attend OCS 8 months after they are PRO RECed!

I am applying for Pilot/NFO, as many already know the next board is some time in July. Back in February (the original board I was trying to make) I applied and was accepted to Graduate school, It's a 3 semester program so I can do it in a year. I really did this more as a back up in case I don't get picked up for OCS.

With the selection board being in July, plus the 6-8 months after the board to attend OCS, that is a lot of time in between. Graduate school was only a back up but things changed after missing two boards. Assuming I get PRO RECed (and I am only making that assumption to plan for any scenario), Can I get a delay on when I ship off to OCS? or when I receive my FINSEL? I don't want to give up an opportunity for being commissioned, NO WAY. But I figured if I will wait 6-8 months might as well just wait a whole year and get a masters while I am at it. I am only 24 right now so I am not age critical which further makes me think they will not send me to an OCS class date any time soon.

Thanks!

You're being given an opportunity of a lifetime and unless it's an emergent matter (wife giving birth, fam issues, etc) the Navy expects you to execute when given orders.

NavyBlu

You're being given an opportunity of a lifetime and unless it's an emergent matter (wife giving birth, fam issues, etc) the Navy expects you to execute when given orders.

I don't want to be a bother, but is that a No on the delay?

For the record, I am not undermining the significance of being given this opportunity, I thought that was obvious. I was just wondering if it is a possibility given the waiting time. Or perhaps I can tell my recruiter before the selection board even convenes that I will not be available before a certain date. I only asked because I have seen people get PRO RECed before graduating college.

RMP

Looks good to me
I believe there is a spot on the ASPR form where you fill in the date at which you're available for Navy things. If advised not to enter a date exceedingly far in the future then don't. This stuff comes once in a lifetime. I'd write down your first available date then ditch whatever you're doing and go for it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a reasonable question, in this situation.

Do I understand correctly that you haven't yet started the grad program? If you haven't, then I would not bother trying to delay entry in order to start - couldn't hurt to ask the question, but smart money is on "no". If you're in school, then it's a different kettle of fish.

mb1685

It's worth keeping in mind that July isn't officially when the next board will be. It's an estimate based on the usual approximate interval between rolling boards (~3 months). It could be sooner (like the previous board taking place in April when May was expected), it could be later, or it could be cancelled. I'm sure Rufio will let us know if/when the next board is formally announced. It's good to plan, but just be aware that your plan could turn out much different than you expect.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I don't want to be a bother, but is that a No on the delay?

For the record, I am not undermining the significance of being given this opportunity, I thought that was obvious. I was just wondering if it is a possibility given the waiting time. Or perhaps I can tell my recruiter before the selection board even convenes that I will not be available before a certain date. I only asked because I have seen people get PRO RECed before graduating college.

Yes, some UNDERGRADUATE applicants get PROREC'd before graduating.

MambaJamba1124

Winging it!!
Your Processor will ask you when your available to go to OCS, that was what mine did and I got selected in October. I just now graduated.

kITTY pURRY

Keep in mind that if you are looking to join the Navy and serve as a Pilot or NFO, then THAT is what you will be doing for a long time, THAT will be your career and THAT will be what's important, Master's Degree or no. I wouldn't let anything get in the way of this opportunity.

NavyBlu

Thank you all for the replies and insight! I will end up talking it over with my recruiter, as many have said, there is no harm in simply asking.

haimehhh

hey @NavyBlu I'm in the same boat. I got into grad school in FEB, trying to make those boards at the beginning of the year. Well, now my application is going to the next SWO and SNA/NFO boards but I'm proceeding in the program in AUG as a back up.

Contact your school, but mine will hold my enrollment and scholarship for up to five years. I have spoken with the dean and he also said that they would be able to roll my credits into another program if I need to finish it part time, online, or continued the full time program later on.

WRT asking to postpone it, I'll say this: think about every hoop you jumped through to have your application reviewed in the first place (my process has been 1 year and 5 months). Do you really want to prolong it? Your FINSEL may come a month or 8 months after your PROREC–i f you have the option to say, "i will be available XX/XX/XX", that's awesome, but if not, do you want to risk it?

NavyBlu

Thanks @haimehhh, I never even considered talking to my University (I am surprised I didn't think about it before)! It's good to know that I am not alone in this kind of situation.

Best of luck to you

JNavMyers

Soo. From what I've read above, you cant delay your OCS date? Regardless of circumstances? That's what I think everyone is saying, but I didn't really see a direct answer.