• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Delayed Entry Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RickyDT34

I am in DEP until december when I go to OCS. I am not in BDCP or on any kind of pay status with the Navy (besides being a civilian working for NavAir). My job often requires travel and working weekends at the drop of a hat. The recruiters running DEP say that I need to run request chits every time I travel and any time I am going to miss a meeting. Also I recently had to transfer for awhile to Florida and I was told that I had to run a request chit and get it approved to do this. It was kind of indicated to me that this could adversely affect my enlistment because of not meeting my requirements (meetings, PT's, reports, and chits). I don't understand how I can required to lose my job to meet these requirements. I have to eat, don't I? Can anyone help me? Does anyone know if I can be held back from going to OCS because I don't make these meetings and PT's which are sometimes held during my working hours?

ET1.Colon

Have you signed anything, like a contract? Have you taken an oath, yet? I really wouldn't worry about DEP meetings or PT. Just make sure they have your contact number, like your cell phone. Also, when are you supposed to be reporting to OCS?

R

RickyDT34

I've signed my contract and I've sworn in but I don't go to OCS until Dec.

ET1.Colon

Just get a request chit done, then. It's uber-easy. Also, it'll get you in the habit of filling one out when you need to. Also, it's a great way to CYA (cover your a$$). They won't turn it down since you have to earn a living while you wait.

R

RickyDT34

Thats sound advice but it seems like I have to fill one out for everything.

ET1.Colon

Welcome to the military. Get a copy of a rquest chit and fill out everything you can besides the remarks section, date, and signature. Burn off a bunch of copies, and then sign and date as things come along.

R

RickyDT34

Just that I will by in the Delayed Entry Program until my report date.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Non pay guys waiting OCS (and BDCP as well) are supposed to be "managed" by their recruiter. The primary purpose is to make sure a guy doesn't go south on them and change his mind. Secondary is to ensure they are prepared to ship to OCS. This means PT and providing the candidate with the memory gouge and access to stash ensigns who have recently graduated. Sounds like Ricky's recruiting office is running a real tight ship. On the other hand, those of you that had little or no contact with your recruiters were disserved. It is more common to PT with someone from the recruting office once a month or so and keep in touch on the phone. One of the guys in the NRD where I drill had set a program for our guys that included qualifiying with M-16 and handgun, close order drill with real M-1s, M-1 disassembly and cleaning, mo-board, and a road trip to San Diego for tours of a squadron complete with sim flight, got underway on a Patrol Craft, worked out with SEALs, was briefed by EOD on Iraqi IEDs, ran a scenario in the Damage Control WET sim, and drove a ship simulator. It was the most impressive DEP program I have ever seen.

Cannot imagine a requiremnt to run a chit for any domestic travel. ET1 is right though, suck it up and learn to deal with it. Sorry, but it is a small price to pay for the opportunity to serve in the worlds greatest Navy.

R

RickyDT34

I don't mind the PT, running chits, and gouge. I just have a hard time making some of the meetings because they are scheduled during working hours for me. Most of the people in my DEP are BDCP so they are off for the summer and can make it. I am on the verge of losing my job though. I enjoy being in the Navy (have eight years already) I just do not want to be jobless for six months while I wait to go into the Navy (unless they start paying me now).

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Ricky, I'm in the same boat, it seems like alot, but hopefully it will help in the long run.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If making a DEP meeting compromises your employment and the NRD isn't cutting you slack than they are out of line! Ask them if they would compromise your academic performance if they required DEP meetings when you had classes to attend. It is more convenient for the NRD to run all DEPers through the same program. They cannot, however, hold you to the same level of compliance as a BDCP guy. If a BDCP guy claims not to be able to make meetings routinely because of work, the Navy can remind him that that is why he is on the Navy payroll. Most Non-BDCP guys have to work. As stated above, primary purpose of DEP meetings is to ensure the motivation of a selectee so he ships on time. If the alternative to making all their meetings is a guy losing his job and not being able to survive the months to OCS shipout, than they might lose the guy anyway. Sounds like your NRD has lost it's perspective and is out of line.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I agree with wink. I work here with the recruiter and you are not obligated in any way to attend those meetings. Your only obligation is to go to OCS. You are NOT in the Navy yet and can still hit the road at anytime so they just want to keep track of you. They will not cancel your contract, even if you tell them to F*ck off til December. Just keep in touch with them so they know you are still going. Thats all you need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.