• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Degree Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirageofmae

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I have been reading some of your posts.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm a curious high school student who'd like to become a Naval Aviator. I was wondering what all you commissioned aviators did in college. Specifically, what was your degree? B.S. or B.A.? Does it make a difference when it comes to qualifying? What would you recommend?

Thank you for your time! Looking forward to hearing your responses.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You will get lots of answers about what has worked for this guy or that guy. Bottom line is that any degree is ok. We prefer a technical degree, but not necessary. You have to score well on the ASTB exam and it is rather technical. If you don't know much about planes, physics or math, you would have to study alot. Good grades are a must. Current GPAs that are considered competitive now may not be so (higher or lower) when you apply years from now. Get the best grades you can and graduate as close to the 4 or 5 years your program is slated for. There is good stuff on this site. Most of it is accurate. The stuff that isn't is due to innocent ignorance from guys that want to help. If you hang around enough you will find who provides the best info. Good Luck!

Acoustix99

pilot
Simple answer - GPA is more important than your major. The points system they use to select SNA's will give you a few more points for having a technical major than a non-technical major, but it gives you A LOT more points for having a higher GPA. So, moral of the story, take something you like, and something you can do well in, preferably something easy, and just do well in it. I got my degree in International Affairs and got selected for pilot, another one of my friends aslo did as a music major, if that tells you anything.

RobNLa

Mirage, I would recommend getting a technical degree such as Chemistry, Math, Physics, or some engineering disipline. This will prepare you for the ATSB and aviation in general much better than the non-technical route. But keep you gpa as high as possible and make sure it is something that you enjoy.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by RobNLa
Mirage, I would recommend getting a technical degree such as Chemistry, Math, Physics, or some engineering disipline. This will prepare you for the ATSB and aviation in general much better than the non-technical route. But keep you gpa as high as possible and make sure it is something that you enjoy.

I disagree with your recommendation. Pick a major you like. If you like the tech majors, then so be it. Naval Aviation is not rocket science and many make it through without technical degrees and do very well in the program. Now if you want to do something like TPS in the future, then perhaps tech is the way to go. I recommend not worrying about the major but just concentrating on your grades, keeping them as high as possible to be competitive when the time comes to apply. Good luck.

kevin

i would reiterate what bunk said. doing well in school is very important, and crucial to that is doing something you are interested in and enjoy. even though m.e. might be good looking, if you arent as interested in it as, say art, youre not going to do well and it will end up hurting you. also, things change as you get older and your interests now may not stay the same. you dont want to wake up 4 years from now and decide the military isnt for you and realize you dont even like your major either (had friends in those shoes). good luck.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
I hear ya, Kevin! I am starting my third year of college this fall and I am a sophomore. I started off as a physics major and liked. Then I got to thinking, "is this what I really want to do?" So, after doing miserably academically in mathematics and well in physics, I came to the conclusion that is wasn't for me. So, after laying out a semester I switched to history as a major. I have enjoyed it very much and thanks to AP classes in high school I only have to take about half of the required history classes. Even though I am a sophomore, I will have the core requirements for a history major completed in the Spring.

That still leaves about 40 some odd hours to sit on my thumbs. So, I have decided to finish what I have started and complete the requirements for a BS in physics as well.

In summatioin, when I graduate I will have a degree in both history and physics, with a minor in astronomy and mathematics. with, God willing, a 3.0. I found that I was doing poorly in school because I didn't know what I really wanted and I wasn't challenged. I have found what I want, to become a Naval Aviator, and the slightly more intense curriculum and overcoming a low GPA is the challenge that I need.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jolly Roger
pirate_125.gif

fraz76

Mirage I hope you are informed about different options you have in attaining your goal as a Naval Aviator. Such as:

The Naval Acadamy - A Four Year Military University that provide a four year Scholarship to all there students. VERY Competitive

NROTC - A College scholarship and College program that assists and provides students military education at selected Host University with crosstown affilations. There is a list at this link https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/

Their are a FOUR Year Scholarship
Their is also a TWO Year Scholarship
Then a College program for student that are not committed to Navy till a certain year in college. You can read up on that on your own at the link provide. COMPETITIVE.

BDCP - A THREE or TWO Year (Sopho or Juniors) college assistant program for students not at a Host Univeristy or student that choose not to be in a NROTC program. Great thing about BCDP is that you are paid salary to attend school. You can use that salary any way you choose to help pay for your education or your expense at school. And have a guarentee billet assignment to attend Flight School. VERY COMPETITIVE.

Each program and options have their PROS and CONS. Something that might work for others, Might NOT WORK FOR YOU. You must understand that.

BOTTOM LINE you must have good grade for all programs. Your GPA is proof to the Navy that you can accompish task with high standards. It is your foundation in which you bulid upon for your application. Everything else like your extra activities will help make you the all around students the Navy is looking for.

For your Major do study something that you want to learn.

I hope this was helpful. And read the Black and White on all this stuff that I have mentioned, I might not be up to date with all that has changed. I wish you the best of luck. "FLY NAVY"

Respectfully,
Fraz

Status
Not open for further replies.