• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Degree Plan Change/Minimum time left waiver?

Jeff-Miller

The degree plan I submitted for the BDCP program has me graduating with a business degree in FEb 2010. My current school is awful and now that I have been pro rec'd I was wondering what are the chances that I can go back to my old college and finish my BA in Science in Air Traffic Control and be done by MAR 2009. My recruiter has told that we are going to wait until the final select and then we can ask, but he is not sure of the chances. So, is possible that whomever is in charge of these things will deny me the opportunity of getting an aviation related degree a full year earlier, getting me to OCS and the fleet faster, because of what I originally submitted? I hate to say it but after 7 years enlisted it sounds typical of the Navy.

Lobster

If you've signed the contract you've got to graduate in Feburary, but wait and see what your recruiter comes back with you could be surprised.

Jeff-Miller

Im not signing Sh*t until I get a solid answer on this matter. I know the game, and also how to play......... VERY WELL!!!! My recruiter is really on top of it, so Im sure he'll get me the answers.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I basically made up a completion plan and sent it into my recruiter. I told him straight up that it wasn't going to be like that and that it was 100% going to change. He said as long as I graduated on time, no biggie.

I graduated when my plan said I would with a completely different schedule of classes than I told the Navy I was going to do. No problem.

Now if you change your classes, or more importantly your major, and you graduate at a different time, then there are problems. If you have to graduate later than you told them, you may need to talk to your recruiter, keep them in on the loop, or maybe even get it approved. If you graduate EARLIER than you told them you would, I think this is probably OK, and sometimes even a plus. They may be able to get you to OCS earlier, otherwise you'll sit on your ass and enjoy E-5 pay, or they may put you to work as a paper-pusher at the NRD. Either way, CALL your recruiter. He knows better than any of us knuckleheads.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You have to be out of your mind to graduate early and miss out on a year of pay, sitting back in college and collecting time in service.

Jeff-Miller

Not crazy, just ready to be more productive than taking online classes in this day in age where schools are for profit not education. A diploma is just a piece of paper, flying is real life stuff. Also, 0-1 pay vs. E-3, Im taking a paycut here. Put me in the fleet and let me put warheads on foreheads!!!!!

tanguay40

I'm in BDCP Supply and I had a change in anticipated graduation time as well. If I were to graduate with the rest of my class right on time, my graduation date would have been June 2009. However, I'm 99.9% sure that I'm going to take off early and I anticipate finishing my degree in Dec 2008. My recruiter told me this is no problem since I am not *delaying* my graduation date, however, he suggested that it WOULD be a problem if I were to move it earlier than September 2008. This is because of the change in fiscal years and I am currently slotted for a FY2009 Supply spot. Now say that I graduate a full year early in June 2008, they would have to move my FY2009 supply slot to FY2008, which they may or may not let me do depending on whether the supply quota has been reached for the year.
So basically, graduating in an earlier fiscal year (which is probably true your case) means that they have to take your FY2010 OCS slot and move it to FY2009, which could be a no-go since they have an yearly quota for every designator. I think it's really confusing to explain, so maybe someone else here can clarify things a bit more.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
They may be able to get you to OCS earlier, otherwise you'll sit on your ass and enjoy E-5 pay, or they may put you to work as a paper-pusher at the NRD. Either way, CALL your recruiter. He knows better than any of us knuckleheads.
E-5? Dean's List and you suckered someone else into BDCP?

Jeff-Miller

Minimum time left in school

Is there a minimum requirement for the amount of time you have to have left in school in order to do BDCP. I have already been pro-recd SNA, done with MEPS/PRT, just waiting for the final select. My recruiter and I are going to try and get ahold of the powers that be and see if I can switch my degree from Business back to Air traffic control which is what I was doing when I was enlisted. That will have me done in March 09 instead of March 10 for Business. Furthermore, after this semester if I go the Air traffic control route I only have one class left (12 week semesters). Who are the powers that be that will give me the thumbs up/down? What are the chances they will tell me that one class and one semester is not enough to do BDCP and I should just finish and reapply like normal?

nugget61

pilot
Is there a minimum requirement for the amount of time you have to have left in school in order to do BDCP. I have already been pro-recd SNA, done with MEPS/PRT, just waiting for the final select. My recruiter and I are going to try and get ahold of the powers that be and see if I can switch my degree from Business back to Air traffic control which is was doing while I was enlisted, and that will have me done in March 08 instead of March 09 for Business. Furthermore, after this semester if I go the Air traffic control route I only have one class left (12 week semesters). Who are the powers that be that will give me the thumbs up/down? What are the chances they will tell me that one class and one semester is not enough to do BDCP and I should just finish and reapply like normal?

If I recall correctly, you can be 2 years out and selected BDCP. When will you be finished if you switch? Definitely not March 08, ha. Sounds like you should be out this spring either way, so you should be fine.

Jeff-Miller

If I am allowed to switch back to the air traffic control degree I will start my last sememster Nov first and will be done by Mar 09.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
If I am allowed to switch back to the air traffic control degree I will start my last sememster Nov first and will be done by Mar 09.

As long as you have at least a year left of school you can still do BDCP. If you had less than a year left of school you would have to get waived into it I think, but if you aren't done until Mar 2009, you will be fine.

nugget61

pilot
As long as you have at least a year left of school you can still do BDCP. If you had less than a year left of school you would have to get waived into it I think, but if you aren't done until Mar 2009, you will be fine.

Dang, I didn't know this one... technicality, but is it 12 months or 2 semesters or what? I'll be graduating in Aug '09 and hope to get into BDCP.

And march 09 is more than a year out? :confused: